Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#319753 01/21/09 02:58 PM
A
aruba Offline OP
OP Offline
A
HAVE HEARD ABOUT VENDERS ON THE BEACH. IS IT BOTHERSOME?

aruba #319754 01/21/09 03:05 PM
No they are not bothersome.

pamela604 #319759 01/21/09 03:29 PM
Most set up their stand and wait for potential guests. Some kids try to sell necklaces and a "No" makes them move on.

Live and let live
Short #319760 01/21/09 03:36 PM
N
N
Aruba, the beach vender's were all very polite to us when we were there last year. The wood carvers will call out to you but a polite "No thank you" is sufficient.

I got a laugh out of one of the most persistent when I said "I spent all my money on beer". He laughed and said "Hey! I need beer money too". The ladies selling textiles will hold their work up and are very nice even if you go look the textiles over and still a "No thank you" or a "Maybe later" will suffice. The young boys selling bead/macrame are polite also if persistent. If you say "Maybe tomorrow" thought, trust me they will remember you and say "You said today" with a sly smile. They are still polite if you decline.

Please remember that most of these people make 100% of their income off what they sell. The young boys contribute greatly to their family income. There are very few jobs there but most all of the local people are very polite............if you are.

The expats are very protective of these young boys by the way. And that is a good thing.

Nancy1340 #319767 01/21/09 04:05 PM
Since my sarcastic post got deleted along with the anti-tourist statement which prompted my response then I'll just say this.

The street / beach vendors are hard working, good people as a general rule. Once a hair braider walked our 12 y/o son at least a mile down the beach to us in order to make sure he was returned to us safely. We had already paid her for her service and we were not concerned about him locating us as he has made several trips and is familiar with AC. She walked a fair distance in the sand to ensure his safe arrival out of the goodness of her heart.

I recomend spending some of your money with these hard working, good people.

That said, if you choose not to purchase, a simple no thanks sends them on their way.

This is NOT like the experiences we've had in Mexico were the vendors are much more reluctant to take no for an answer. We spend money with them also though.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 01/21/09 04:07 PM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
E
E
The little lady that brings the ceviche to BC's has been a welcome sight to me many times. I've always found the vendors to be very polite and when you smile and just say "No thank you" they go to the next person. Like you said it's their livelihood and I don't begrudge them of it. In fact I kind of like bantering with some of the wood carvers and the other more creative vendors.

Speaking of the local kids, is Nixon still around? I love that kid. A real entrepreneur.

God Bless The Reef!
ExOkie #319772 01/21/09 04:39 PM
M
M
I was wondering if the cookie lady was still around?

she was as of last november . .best banana bread on the island!! smile

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
F
F
Yes the cookie lady is still here, she was staying at a place in the south for awhile but has moved back to her place in town.

We buy from the beach vendors whenever we can, we buy wall hangings and blankets for our freinds back home and we will buy stuff for our condo in Belize when it is appropriate.

They are very nice hard working people and I have in the past purchased a wall hanging or two that we will never use. Hopefully we will find a home for them. I would never call them prblamatic!

Freezer #319903 01/22/09 11:46 AM
We love the boys on the beach with the bead bracelets! Alex, Alexi and I can't remember the third one's name. Great kids, and excellent entrepreneurs. They are polite, and actually pretty fun to see each day. As it was mentioned, they will remember you the next day! My wife promised Alexi she would buy one more bracelet the day prior to our departure. She told him to come to Tropic Air before 10:00am the next morning. He showed up, bracelet in hand and a huge smile on his face. His mom had made the bracelet the night before as my wife had some special bead requests. We ended up "tipping" Alexi an extra $5 US and he was reluctant to take it, he merely wanted the sale price. We sure hope they still around this year, kinda miss the guys! Hope they got rid of the raccoon tho!

M. Sjulstad
M&M Trivia - JAMPT UP Band
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.