Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
Pastries! Everybody has a sweet tooth for pastries - chocolate cake, caramel cake, you name it; we always find something sweet to eat. Now Nova Carib Enterprise of San Pedro is producing 100% locally made rum cakes named Rainforest Rum cakes. And although these rum cakes are edible they are not considered a food item but rather a gift item.

Owners Tatyana Kolyshkina and Sean Sammon have their commercial bakery in Belize City where they have been producing these rum cakes for over a year now and two weeks ago here in San Pedro. Until recently, they decided to put them up for sale on the island. The rum cakes contain local products such as sugar, flour and local rum; they weigh 1.1 lbs (500 grams) and are vacuumed sealed for freshness and packaging.

Tropical Rum Cakes come in original, coconut and cinnamon flavors and Tatyana commented to Ambergris Today that she is currently working on incorporating flavors such as Pi�a Colada and Mojito to their cakes. The cakes are vacuumed sealed to preserve their taste and it is best if the product is consumed within six months of purchase. Refrigeration and freezing will prolong the shelf life without changing the quality or taste of rum cakes.

Tatyana explained that they decided to name their products "Rainforest Rum Cakes" because Belize is one of the most eco-friendly destinations in the Caribbean and they feel that by naming the product Rainforest Rum Cakes they are promoting rainforest preservation. Furthermore, she stated that a percentage of the sales is being donated to local Central American Rainforest Preservation programs.

These rum cakes are FDA approved and visitors who purchase these products are allowed to take the delicious souvenir back home. Rainforest Rum Cakes can be purchased at gift shops such as Toucan Gift Shop, Green House and Orange Gifts to name a few. While in Belize City you can purchase them at the Belize Tourism Village.

For more information on these delicious cakes you can call 628-0715 or 628-0659 and their website should be up very soon, www.rainforestrumcakes.com.

More pics and story at Ambergris Today

N
N
Oh Marty! And I used to like you.

grumble, grumble, grumble........ As I go off to find something to stop my mouth from watering.

Looks like I'll be bring cake home from SP. LOL

T
T
Those look wonderful! They should put that pretty young lady's picture on the wrapper!
If you can't wait, you can make an easy rum cake with a box of butter cake mix. The only thing tedious about it is carefully greasing and flouring every groove of a bundt pan (or use non stick pans like in the photo). Prepare the cake according to the instructions on the box adding a small packet (or two) of instant vanilla pudding. Just before the cake is ready to come out of the oven, melt a cup of granulated sugar in 1/4 cup of water over medium heat, and add a stick (1/4 lb.) of butter to melt. Add 1/2-1 cup of rum and pour mixture over very hot cake a little at a time. It will absorb all this syrup. Let stand ten minutes and invert on a plate. This is a passable immitation of a scratch rum cake you can make with just what you would have on hand. You can make variations using pineapple juice or coconut cream in place of the simple syrup.

Last edited by Texican; 01/23/09 08:58 PM.
N
N
Tex, I haven't had a cake mix in my kitchen for........oh gee, I'd say 45 years. LOL

But I can make one with what I have on hand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.