Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#320521 - 01/26/09 04:34 PM (Yet another) Windows Disaster
Peter Jones Offline
Recently in "Classifieds" a computer was advertised for sale that just has XP SP2. This means it CANNOT have been immunised from the latest and greatest threat http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtec...-of-botnet.html .

Anyone with a Windows computer regardless of version, and that means most of us, should bring their computer totally up-to-date on the Microsoft Update website. Failure to do so is not merely extremely foolish but is also irresponsible, as they could be helping to spread this extremely pernicious virus.

I know someone with a machine still running Windows 2000. AFAIK this is no longer supported by Microsoft so there won't be an available patch to deal with the virus. Time to upgrade!

#320563 - 01/26/09 07:07 PM Re: (Yet another) Windows Disaster [Re: Peter Jones]
Sandshaker Offline
LOL....you sound like the wizard of OZ behind his big green curtain. hehehehe

People "should" do a lot of things....but they don't.

If only it were a perfect world....

smile

#320574 - 01/26/09 07:40 PM Re: (Yet another) Windows Disaster [Re: Sandshaker]
Peter Jones Offline
I have recently worked on two PCs that crashed because of the virus. In both cases I managed to salvage the hardware, but only by reformatting the hard disk and losing everything on it. Sometimes the BIOS is corrupted and then bye-bye computer. These people were very active on email - goodness knows how many other peoples' machines they've corrupted. I have no idea whether they had any bank account/eBay/Paypal details on those computers, but if so it's more than likely that someone else now knows their logon and password particulars.

This thing is not a joke, a mild irritant. Read the press - it is a serious threat that costs real money, and is currently getting worse. It's the people who laugh it off who are most guilty of spreading it.

Someone gave me a file on a memory stick last week. I plugged it into my computer and immediately got a virus warning. When I scanned the stick I found 38 viruses on it, many of which could cause major damage. What was particularly worrying was that the stick came from a respected Belizean professional business, and likely all these viruses were on their computers.

#320575 - 01/26/09 07:46 PM Re: (Yet another) Windows Disaster [Re: Peter Jones]
Sandshaker Offline
true Peter...it's a never ending battle and most folks don't have a clue how vulnerable they are.

Thank goodness we have folks like you we can just hand our stuff to and say.."fix it please". LOL

I do upgrades, updates, virus scans,malware/spyware scans, firewalls,etc.etc. Sometimes it feels like Ft. Knox.

I still get viruses. Hackers will always be smarter and faster than we are.

Unfortunately...

#320580 - 01/26/09 08:00 PM Re: (Yet another) Windows Disaster [Re: Sandshaker]
Peter Jones Offline
The last computer I rebuilt was for a friend and I didn't charge him - this isn't my business. But it took me 9 hours - do you have any idea what professional computer repair shops would charge for that? In practical terms the computer would be scrap.

Yes, I'm as careful as I can be consistent with actually using my computer and I still get the occasional virus. But as I do selective scans every day and complete scans every week those viruses don't have much chance to spread.

As I suspect you know, the days when people can safely "leave computer security to the experts" are behind us. Each one of us has to be aware of what could happen at any given point in time, and what to do to combat it. The bad guys are actively targeting us, and if you read the Telegraph article you can see that they have very serious financial motives for doing so. It's a war, and simply rolling over and saying you're a non-combatant doesn't stop them shooting you.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,029 Topics
462,230 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.