Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MMF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am in the process of researching all that is required to start a small business in Belize, specifically on Ambergris.

I am starting a service based company, and am having trouble finding resources on government requirements/restrictions/etc.

What would be really great, is a step-by-step "How To" Guide, so if you know where one might exist, that would be great.

I am assuming the steps are similar to those required in the US, although because I am not a Belizean citizen I want to be sure I have completed all the necessary steps properly.

I really appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

B
B
Good luck on finding "Start a business on Ambergris Caye for Dummies." Best way to start a business is to come down to Ambergris and see what is needed and what someone will pay for. Hopefully not a grocery or hardware store! LOL But you said service based business. Work permits can be tricky depending on what you want to do and your role in the business as the government really does try to protect its citizens. Required reading, " Don't Stop the Carnival." Beware of self-professed expert consultants; however, I am sure some credible ones do exist. One of the problems is that all politics is/are local. What might fly in Belize City might not work on AC. Again, best way to get the lay of the land is come visit. Cheers.

"I am assuming the steps are similar to those required in the US"

Why are you assuming that. No opinion on whether you are right or not, just curious about your assumption.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Mmf this is a very strange island ,I love it but it is not that easy to make a new business happen here !!the above comments by beachbumin and skippy are a good start And both are on the money ,anyone who thinks about opening any business here with out spending at least 3 to 6 months of trying to live the dream here ,is just plan silly!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially in this crazy world economy..I love any Entrepreneur,but do your long, research first.So your dreams do not become nightmares..

Last edited by captjeff; 01/27/09 12:51 PM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
Starting a business ....... in addition to having a good idea and the skill set to make it happen:

1. obtain a self-employment permit - it will be specifically targeted to your start-up business

2. apply for, and pay for a Trades License (San Pedro)

3. obtain and read the various booklets on taxes on business, employee withholding etc.

4. register with the various agencies, including Income Tax department. The books noted in #3 will tell you what category you fall into.

other than that you will need to do the usual such as decide if you want a corporate status etc.

It's not so hard to set it up - running it is another story, but that is true everywhere.

Sounds like you answered your own questions.
I don't know where you got your new information, but I still think you should consult a Belizean lawyer.

Last edited by Moose in Belize; 01/28/09 08:58 AM.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
M
MMF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
beachbumin,
Don't worry, no hardware store plans in the works! Ha. I am very lucky, in that my parents own a home on Ambergris, north of the bridge, so I have spent some, though not nearly enough time down there, and plan to take your advice and spend more time there before deciding anything official. I am definitely in the very preliminary stages at this point, and appreciate your thoughts and advice. Thanks!
MMF

M
MMF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by skippy
"I am assuming the steps are similar to those required in the US"

Why are you assuming that. No opinion on whether you are right or not, just curious about your assumption.

Skippy,
My assumption, though perhaps not THOROUGHLY informed, as it should have been, is based on the fact that both countries operate on a generally free market system, and would thus, I assume, have similar requirements in terms of registering a business, as opposed to starting a company in let's say China, for example.

Luckily, after some research, I have found that generally, my assumption was correct, and the process is pleasantly much simpler and less arduous than in the US.

Unless there is some catch I am unaware of... !!

interesting you ask a message board where 99% of contributors are either QRPs or live in the US-your parents own a house on AC ask their friends or use a lawyer
call Aldo Reyes at Glenn Godfrey Law firm -he will set you straight for a reasonable fee -my guess around 500-750usd

M
MMF Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Capt. Jeff,
I agree, and appreciate your advice. I am sure a lot of dreamers and quacks post similar questions to mine, so I appreciate you taking the time to take me seriously. I was on Ambergris for the end of December and most of January, and hope to return for a longer visit before the rainy season. Would you be able to reccomend a good time, perhaps? Last year I was there for most of March, which was similar in terms of the amount of tourists on the island, as well as weather, to Decebmer and January. This next trip I am hoping to be there when there are less tourists, but not quite the rainy season...
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks so much.
MMF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.