Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#321197 - 01/29/09 12:06 PM computer help please
sailfish Offline
This is unrelated to San Pedro except for the fact that I will be there in ten days and need to get my problem under control ASAP. There is something attacking my computer. I have constant pop ups and virus alerts. I believe my problem stems from a rogue anti-virus program "antivirus 360". My googling indicates that I should download and run a program called malwarebytes to get rid of my problem. Have any of you had a similar problem?

#321201 - 01/29/09 12:46 PM Re: computer help please [Re: sailfish]
A C Offline
google and download malware bytes, that will fix your problem.

AC

#321202 - 01/29/09 12:47 PM Re: computer help please [Re: A C]
A C Offline

#321214 - 01/29/09 02:39 PM Re: computer help please [Re: A C]
Peter Jones Offline
I would be deeply distrustful of any program if another one tells you to download it. Far better to get some good anti-malware software (which won't be free) and follow the instructions. You may already have something so deeply embedded in the boot sector of the disk that the only was to clean the machine is to reformat the hard disk and reload Windows and all your user software.

Try uninstalling this program you mention "antivirus 360". I suspect you'll find you can't, and that program has itself infected the boot sector. In that case you have no option but to reformat. To do that you need an original Windows disk.

#321244 - 01/29/09 04:46 PM Re: computer help please [Re: Peter Jones]
6string Offline
If you can afford to, do this:
Save your data (personal things) to an external backup
Make sure you have all your apps and specialized software on CDs
Make sure you have your original Windows OS
Wipe the hard drive
Reninstall Windows OS
Run updates
Download the spyware/malware apps - run them
Reinstall personal and softwares
Run spyware/malware again
Install anti virus (purchase this!) run it
Stay up to date on Windows Critical updates
Stay up to date on spyware/malware and anti virus

Whew...have a few Belikins in there somewhere too.

#321246 - 01/29/09 05:18 PM Re: computer help please [Re: 6string]
sweetjane Offline
sailfish - if it makes you feel better, i got that same thing on my ancient laptop i use just for fun. i removed all unnecessary files & recent downloads, and it improved a lot, but still getting some rogue pop up windows, bogging down my surfing.

of course, i have found all the orig startup discs except the OS, and it wont accept my new vista ones.

it works, but i get frustrated. any advice?

#321248 - 01/29/09 05:25 PM Re: computer help please [Re: sweetjane]
Peter Jones Offline
Yes. Assuming it uses XP you'll have to get an XP disk. Use that disk to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. Then do what 6string said.

If you don't have an original XP disk or a reinstall disk for your computer (which would include XP) then you'll need either to buy one or get it done for you. If you bring the machine down here then PM me. At home you'll need to take it to a repair shop. The process of reloading Windows, finding and reloading all device drivers (you forgot that, 6string!) and bringing everything up to date as he said, will take upwards of a day. If you take the computer to a shop you'll probably find it uneconomic.

By FAR the best cure is prevention!

#321251 - 01/29/09 05:34 PM Re: computer help please [Re: 6string]
sailfish Offline
Gulp!......I'm running XP, but I dont even know if I have any apps disks. This Lenovo computer came with everything installed. I'll have to look and see if I can find anything. I suppose I could save all my personal files by sending them to my web based email. or I could put them on a flash drive.

Ive had personal computers since the early 80's, but I to me the whole thing is like learning greek. I suppose the cheapest thing would be to go down to office depot and pick up another laptop. Sheeeesh!!! Thanks for all your suggestions. I will try and figure out what I can do from here.

#321252 - 01/29/09 05:44 PM Re: computer help please [Re: sailfish]
sailfish Offline
Yeah.....thats what i figured Peter. Thats why I might as well just go shopping. I'll call around first. I cant find the discs. I cant remember if i made a backup or not. I thought i remembered that i did.

#321307 - 01/29/09 09:12 PM Re: computer help please [Re: Peter Jones]
A C Offline
Originally Posted By: Peter Jones
I would be deeply distrustful of any program if another one tells you to download it. Far better to get some good anti-malware software (which won't be free) and follow the instructions. You may already have something so deeply embedded in the boot sector of the disk that the only was to clean the machine is to reformat the hard disk and reload Windows and all your user software.

Try uninstalling this program you mention "antivirus 360". I suspect you'll find you can't, and that program has itself infected the boot sector. In that case you have no option but to reformat. To do that you need an original Windows disk.

I own www.certifiednerds.com - large computer repair company in ohio. You can google "computer repair ohio" and Im number 1 out of hundreds of thousands. I assure you i know this virus and that program will get rid of it smile. Only here to help. Program is free.

Enjoy

AC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (ScubaLdy), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,193 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.