Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Mardi Gras Gumbo cook off
February 12th 6pm Pedro's

Chefs George Albiez and Chef Chris Kohut from
Chicago and Pittsburg, published in BonApetite
tickets limited rsvp at Pedro's

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

[reposted in this section]

Use my recipe and make the roux a rich, deep milk chocolate brown, and I guarantee you'll win!

--Lan Sluder

>>

CHICKEN, SAUSAGE AND SHRIMP GUMBO
The Roux
1 cup vegetable oil
1� cup all purpose flour

The Gumbo Base
1 fryer chicken (about 3 pounds), cut up
2 pounds Polish or Creole smoked sausage, sliced �-inch thick
3 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 medium tomato, chopped
� cup green onions, including tops (except tough ends), chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 � pounds okra, sliced �-inch thick (for thickening)
2 pounds whole fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (leave a few unpeeled)
crab, conch or other seafood as available (optional)

Seasonings and Liquid
3 quarts water, or more as needed
2 teaspoons salt
1� teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
� teaspoon cayenne
� teaspoon dried thyme
� teaspoon dried marjoram
3 whole bay leaves, crushed
� teaspoon Tabasco® or Marie Sharp's® hot sauce

NOTE: Feel free to substitute ingredients according to what is available or to taste. For example, you can add crab, conch or other seafood in addition to, or in place of, shrimp. You can also add or delete vegetables in the base - perhaps celery instead of tomato - and also use beer and/or chicken broth for part of the liquid.

Prepare and assemble the ingredients for the gumbo base and for seasonings.

Then heat vegetable oil in large 10-quart or larger cooking pot on medium-high heat. Add cut-up chicken and brown thoroughly on all sides. Remove chicken to plate and keep warm in 185 degree oven.

Make the roux by gradually adding the flour to the chicken-flavored oil in the pot, stirring constantly. Cook over low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the roux becomes dark brown -- the color of milk chocolate. If in doubt about the color of the roux, err on the side of making it too dark rather than too light. This may take 20 to 30 minutes. To get the dark brown color, you may have to slightly increase the heat level to near medium, but be careful not to actually burn the roux. Essentially you are letting the flour almost but not quite burn in the oil, and the stirring scrapes off the slightly browned flour from the bottom of the pan, slowing making the roux darker and darker.

When the roux reaches the right color, quickly add the sausage, onion, green pepper, green onions, garlic, parsley and tomato. It smells incredible! Keep cooking over low to medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add � cup of the water, the browned chicken and all the seasonings. Mix gently but thoroughly. Increase heat to medium and slowly add all the rest of the water. Bring the gumbo to a boil, stirring occasionally. When it boils, reduce heat to low and simmer. Add about one-fourth of the shrimp, including the unpeeled shrimp. Simmer for about 1 1/4 hours or until chicken is tender.

Remove about half the chicken with a little sausage and refrigerate, saving for another meal.

Add okra and simmer over low heat for another � hour. Add remainder of shrimp and simmer until shrimp are pink and done. Serve in bowls over boiled rice, accompanied by crusty New Orleans-style crusty, light French bread. Serves 10 to 12, or more.

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Now that is great recipe! Lan, I did not know you were a Cajun! smile

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Not a Cajun, but I lived in New Orleans for many years and still love to cook New Orleans Creole and Creole-Italian dishes.

--Lan Sluder

Lan,
you make your roux with oil? Say it ain't so!

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Yes, generally, though some other gumbos I make I use half butter and half oil.

What do you make yours with?

--Lan Sluder

I also lived in New Orleans for a time, and yes, the traditional roux is made with oil. When I make a roux for gravy, especially turkey gravy, I use butter and flour.

Lan,
when I was a kid my best friend's dad was a cajun dude who worked in the oil fields near home. He taught us that a fellow could actually eat crawdads, or crayfish as he called them. The thought had never occurred to us before, and we had always used crawdads for bait. I was just a kid, but I seem to recall that he used butter or bacon grease for his roux.

When I worked in kitchens, years later, I learned soups & sauces from a yankee chef. He always kept a pot of roux going at the back of the stove. I recall him using butter, but he was from New York, so what did he know?

Oil, you say? I'll try that. I bet peanut oil would work well. I'll have to try your gumbo, too. Post a jambalaya recipe, too, or e-mail it to me.

Dan

"Facts are the enemy of Truth"
Don Quixote
Originally Posted by Dan Carey
Post a jambalaya recipe, too,

yes please

M
M
Try bacon grease instead of vegetable oil. Take your time with the roux, cook it over medium heat. It takes me about 3 Abita Ambers to finish a roux, I assume on the island that would be 3 belikin's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.