Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#32312 12/13/00 03:02 AM
G
OP Offline
G
We are taking our first trip to AC/Ramon's March 24,2001. We love to just beachcomb. Where are the best places to look for seashells. Are all beaches public...are there private beaches I should know about?

#32313 12/13/00 10:05 AM
M
M
I've been collecting and cataloging the shells in Belize, especially on and around Ambergris, for 20 years. Here are the best places to collect: (1) the stretch of beach from Robles Point to Rocky Point. It takes a boat ride to get there, but it's worth it; (2) rent a golf cart in town and then head south into San Pablo Town (south of the airstrip). From there, head south and you'll come across several wide areas along the road where they're currently dredging to make land from mangrove swamps. The dredge spills are loaded with great shells; and (3) a short boat ride from town to Cayo Romero; tie up on the eastern tip. The water's extremely shallow (few inches) and loaded with shells, as is the caye itself. I'm currently compiling a book that illustrates the hundreds of different shells found on and around Ambergris, and identifies them as to their scientific and common names. I thought I'd post at least some of it on the Ambergriscaye.com web page, but that'll take a while. Good hunting!

#32314 12/13/00 12:21 PM
G
OP Offline
G
mazullo1
Thanks so much for the great info. I just printed it out and it will go in our "trip bag". I'm really getting excited. Please let me know when you've finished your book, I'll purchase it right away. I'm a shell novice...my theory is..."If it's worth bending over for, it's worth picking up!"
Thanks again.

#32315 12/14/00 03:07 PM
M
M
Will do. Have fun.

#32316 12/14/00 06:40 PM
Just what is the policy about collecting "live shells"?I'll always put back the live ones.Isn't there some restrictions about taking the shells out of the country?Some countries are VERY strict about that.Any imput from anyone?

#32317 12/15/00 11:06 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I wasn't really asking about live shells, just the kind you find in the sand. I picked up a pretty one in Aruba and kept it. Something was really stinking when we got home and it was that shell. There was a hermit crab in it.

#32318 12/16/00 11:13 AM
M
M
Most of the shells you find washed up on the beach are dead; of course, I always throw the live ones, which are very rare to find, back into the sea. I'd rinse them in fresh water and then leave them outside before you pack them; that reduces the odor of any organic material that may be left in the shell. Then repeat the process in some water and Chlorox when you return to the States. After they've dried, use a little clear nail polish to coat them on the outside. Makes any colors look bright. There are no regulations against collecting shells, but corals are another matter. The Belize government doesn't allow you to take corals, whether they were collected dead or alive, back home. Since they can't determine whether they were collected alive, and would rather not have people taking "souvenirs" from live reefs, they made a blanket rule that no corals can be taken. But, you know rules...

#32319 12/17/00 04:54 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Yes...rules are rules. My luggage is always so heavy when we return from any trip. My husband put his foot down when I was trying to brind about a 10" round rock home from Lake Mead. God, it was a greenish blue color and was just beautiful! Anyway, I threw it out so I didn't have to listen to him bitch. Since then he pretty much lets me take home what I want. I guess he felt like a heal after Lake Mead.
I haven't been to work since Tuesday. We got 15" of snow and couldn't get out until yesterday. I hate snow...I love sun and water.
Thanks again for the great info.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.