[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

//ambergriscaye.com/art/TCFS-Schedule-SMALL.jpg

TRAVELING CARIBBEAN FILM SHOWCASE FILM SYNOPSES

A FIREMAN LIKE HIS DAD (BOMBERO COMO SU PAP�) / 1 MIN / FICTION /
UNICEF- "One Minute for My Rights"
Synopsis: Series sponsored by UNICEF in which children share images, stories and culture in an audiovisual language.

A GIRL, A SCHOOL (UNA NI�A, UNA ESCUELA) / 13:10 MIN / DOCUMENTARY /
Director: ALEJANDRO RAM�REZ.
Synopsis: Education is the right of every human being. What happens to a Down Syndrome girl born in a far-off hamlet in the Cuban mountains?

ABIGAIL / 13:55 / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME / Director: JUSTINE THEMEN.
Synopsis: The film is about Abigail from Coronie. She is afraid that the sea shall slowly "eat away" Coronie.

ANY TIMOUN IS TIMOUN (TOUT TIMOUN SE TIMOUN) / 14 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / HAITI
Director: ARNOLD ANTONIN
Synopsis: The story of an AIDS infected girl and the fight to have her attend school with the other children.

ATIBA WILLIAMS - PAN PRODIGY / 7 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: BRUCE PADDINGTON/ CHRISTOPHER LAIRD.
Synopsis: Nine years old Atiba Williams is the youngest person ever to arrange music for a steelband at the premier steelband competition, Panorama. This film looks at a day in his life, from home to school to rehearsal to performance.

BLACK SOUL (AME NOIRE) / 9:47 MIN / ANNIMATION / HAITI / Director: MARTINE CHARTRAND
Synopsis: A grand mother teaches her grandson the history of his people: A travel in space and time, to move from Africa to the West Indies and then from the United States to Canada, to show the loneliness of the cotton fields, the slaves' courage, suffering and rebellion, to let us hear the crack of the whip, the dignity of the singing and the deep voice of the Reverend Martin Luther King dreaming of brotherhood and a better future for his children. A series depicting the Black Pharaohs of Nubian Egypt and the slave trade with the same brilliance, mixing on a single sound track the tribal music of ancient Africa and American jazz.

CHEOMARRA, 53 BROTHERS AND SISTERS / 14:15 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME/ Director: MIRJAM MARKS
Synopsis: Life in a house with more than fifty children.

CHESTER / 2:15 MIN / ANNIMATION / COSTA RICA / Dir: PABLO CESPEDES.
Synopsis: Chester finds out that you need two persons to play up and down �

COLOR DOES NOT THE THIEF MAKE (EL COLOR NO HACE AL LADR�N) / 1:56 MIN / FICTION / COLOMBIA / Dir: FRAMMY GARCIA/LADY FERNANDEZ
Synopsis: Human beings should not be considered by the color of their skin.

CRICKET AT SCHOOL / 10 MIN / FICTION / JAMAICA / Director: MARY WELLS.
Synopsis Cricket focuses on the cricket match among young boys and is a tale of moving from being rejected to the being celebrated by your peers.

DEBORAH IN SURINAME (DEBORAH EN SURINAM) / 14:06 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME / Director: HELEN KAMPERVEEN.
Synopsis: Deborah is born as a catholic Brazilian, but since she moved to Suriname she became obsessed with the Hindu dance and music.

DOLL HOUSE (CASA DE MU�ECAS) / 23 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / NICARAGUA
Director: JOAQU�N Z��IGA
Synopsis: Luz Marina, a girl from Managua, was pregnant at 14 and Migdalia, a girl from the rural area of Jinotega, was pregnant at 13. Two lives, two stories, - one in the countryside and the other in the city - on the same social reality: the many shattered dreams of girls who are forced to leave her dolls, drop out of school and abandon their hopes for a better future.

DREAM (SUE�O) / 2:54 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA / Director: NELSON SERRANO
Synopsis: A poor boy living in a world of war and pollution dreams with a better planet.

FOR CURIOUS PEOPLE (PARA CURIOSOS) / 2:19 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA
Director: ERNESTO PADR�N.
Synopsis: Educational animated series for children

FORGIVE AND FORGET / 5 MIN / FICTION / JAMAICA / Director: CODAE PENNICOTT
Synopsis: Forgive and Forget is a story of loss, pain and the need for forgiveness. A family traumatized by the loss of the mother is plunged into further turmoil as the father loses control and turns to alcohol.

GROWING (CRECIENDO) / 16:29 MIN / FICTION / NICARAGUA /
Director: VIRGINIA LACAYO / ARLENE CENTENO.
Synopsis: : Twelve years old girl is entering into a new stage of his life where he will face physical and psychological changes requiring love and understanding from his parents.

HIGH GRADE / 70 MIN / FICTION / JAMAICA / Director: TONY ROBINSON
Synopsis: High Grade is the story of life in the ghetto through the eyes of a young man who faces the challenges of peer pressure from friends involved in violence and drugs while he battles with the pain brought by the death of his mother. He is forced between staying in school and keeping hopes of a bright future alive, or giving into despair and helplessness and so turning to the way of the gun. The drama has a sub-plot surrounding the issue of HIV/AIDS.

I CAN FLY (PUEDO VOLAR) / 2 MIN / FICTION / DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
Director: CESAR A. ZAYAS
Synopsis: The description of the feelings of a girl who is unable to walk.

I SPY: THINGS IN MY GARDEN / 3 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: ELSPETH DUNCAN.
Synopsis: Under Elspeth Duncan direction, children from 7 to 10 years old from varied walks of life used a video camera to express their points of view on their natural environment.

I WANT TO BE A BAKER WHEN I GROW UP (QUIERO SER PANADERA CUANDO GRANDE) / 1 MIN / FICTION / UNICEF- "One Minute for My Rights"
Synopsis: Series sponsored by UNICEF in which children share images, stories and culture in an audiovisual language.

INVISIBLE / 22:51 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: ELSPETH DUNCAN.
Synopsis: What is HIV/AIDS? How can you live in a family where some members are positive and some are not? How can you do away with discrimination?

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT (FUE UN ACCIDENTE) / 1 MIN / FICTION /
Synopsis: Series sponsored by UNICEF in which children share images, stories and culture in an audiovisual language

KUKUY AND THE BRAVE ALMIQUI (KUKUY-EL GUIJE DEL CHARCO AZUL) 6:58 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA / Director: JUAN RUIZ.
Synopsis: First adventure in a series for children whose main hero will be a nice "guije" (a Cuban mythological creature) fighting for the creatures in the forest.

LOOK AND DISCOVER (MIRA I DISKUBRI) / 9:28 MIN / FICTION / CURA�AO /
Director: CORRY VAN HEYNINGEN
Synopsis: Many unknown things in the world can only be discovered if we can see farther than what our eyes catch at first view.

MAR�A ALEJANDRA / 1 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / UNICEF- "One Minute for My Rights"
Synopsis: Series sponsored by UNICEF in which children share images, stories and culture in an audiovisual language

MISCHEVIOUS BABY (NENE TRAVIESA) / 6:19 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA
Synopsis: Film adaptation of a story by Jose Martí in La Edad de Oro

MY FATHER'S WORKSHOP (EL TALLER DE MI PAP�) / 1 MIN / FICTION /

MY FIRST DAY IN SCHOOL / 10 MIN / DOCUMENTARY/ JAMAICA /
Director: SUDANI MOWAKI
Synopsis: The First Day I Wore My Hijab is the story Muslim girl's experience wearing her hijab to school for the first time and her move from a place of isolation and difference to acceptance

MY HORSE (MI CABALLERO) / 6 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA /
Dir: ULISES DE JES�S RAMOS.
Synopsis: Interesting version of the poem "Los zapaticos de rosa" (The Little Pink Shoes), a poem by Jose Marti published in La Edad de Oro.

MY SUIT (MI TRAJE) 1 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / UNICEF- "One Minute for My Rights"

NA-NA / 18 MIN / FICTION / CUBA / Director: PATRICIA RAMOS
Synopsis: In a little country village, the friendship between two children is cut short when one of them leaves the country.

NO WATA NO FAYA / 13:56 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME / Director: NINA JURNA.
Synopsis: This film shows the circumstances in which children in a refugee camp in Paramaribo live. They have been without water or electricity for years.

OLD RABBIT DIE HARD / 3 MIN / ANNIMATION / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: CAMILLE SELVON.
Synopsis: The old tale of the Rabbit and the Hare takes on a new twist.
Same story, different settings but a hell of a lot funnier

PIDIO VALD�S (EL PIDIO VALD�S) / 70 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA
Director: JUAN PADR�N.
Synopsis: The life of Elpidio Valdes, a mamb� (soldier in the Cuban wars for independence) is shown from childhood to adulthood, fighting together with his father with the Cuban revolutionary forces.

PRECIOUS / 32 MIN. / FICTION / BELIZE / Dir: SUZETTE ZAYDEN.
Synopsis: A short fiction film about HIV/AIDS and the discrimination of infected persons in Belize.

SARAJAN, ONE LEG IN SURINAME, ONE LEG IN THE NETHERLANDS / 12:47 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME / Director: HENNAH DRAAIBAAR.
Synopsis: Moving to a different country seems easier than it actually is. Sarajan is a film about homesickness.

SIN-DERELLA / 90 MIN / FICTION / CURA�AO /
Director: JOHN NAGTEGAAL/ SEGNI BERNARDINA AND ROBERT EMPERATOR.
Synopsis: Once upon a time there was a very intelligent and talented poor girl, but her life was not easy at all.

SOMETHING DOH CHANGES / 4:30 MIN / ANNIMATION / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: MATHEW HUDSON
Synopsis: Trinidad 2050. A look into the future of this Caribbean island. �Full of post-modern imagery and traditional and cultural symbolism, but in the future.

THE CUMICHE (LOS CUMICHES) / 29:45 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / NICARAGUA /
Director: F�LIX ZURITA.
Synopsis: The active role of children in life and community decisions is not always a myth.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SEA (AL OTRO LADO DEL MAR) / 12 MIN / FICTION / VENEZUELA / Director: PATRICIA E. ORTEGA.
Synopsis: Anna and Jenny are two girls who sell candies in a flea market in Maracaibo and deal with the salespersons all day long. Jenny, who was forced to exchange sex for money, encourages Anna to face her sexual first experience.

THE OWNER (EL PROPIETARIO) / 6:30 MIN / ANNIMATION / CUBA /
Director: ERNESTO PI�A/ WILBERT NOGUEL.
Synopsis: The constant fight between rich and poor, killers and innocents, owners and clients.

THE STARRY NIGHT (LA NOCHE DE LAS ESTRELLAS) / 10:52 / ANNIMATION / VENEZUELA / Director: MAURICIO SISO.
Synopsis: An old man and his dog lived in a remote town. It was so far away that there were no stars or Moon. During the day everything went just fine, but at sunset everyone became sad. Along with his dog the old man climbed up the highest mountain and from that moment on stars shone and the Moon was full in that far-away town. What did he do? How did he do it?

THE RED HOUSE / 2:30 MIN / ANNIMATION / TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO /
Director: SHEVON GUEVARA.
Synopsis: A story about a worm, an apple and its housing problems. �The worm eventually finds his way into the Red House, the name given in jest to the parliament building in Trinidad and Tobago.

THE SKY SNAKE (LA SERPIENTE DEL CIELO) / 1:42 MIN / ANNIMATION / COLOMBIA/
Dir: STEPHANIE RUECKOLDT.
Synopsis: At dawn, the rainbow serpent arrives and paints the day with all its colors. When the Sun hides, the serpent leaves with him.

THE STAR FISHERMAN (EL PESCADOR DE ESTRELLAS) / 12 MIN / FICTION / COLOMBIA / Director: MARCELA RINC�N GONZ�LEZ.
Synopsis: "The Star Fisherman" it is a story of love among children of a distant place in the Colombian Pacific, that the reality with the fantasy of a traditional legend counted by a grandfather.

VIVA CUBA / 80 MIN / FICTION / CUBA / Director: JUAN C. CREMATA
Synopsis: Although their families don't see things eye to eye, Mal� and Jorgito have promised each other livelong friendship. At Mal�'s grandmother death, her mother decides to leave the country for good. Mal� and Jorgito escape to the end of the world in search for hope for their love.

WHO SAYS GIRLS DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL (DIZQUE, LAS NI�AS NO JUEGAN F�TBOL) / 1 MIN / FICTION / UNICEF- "One Minute for My Rights"

WORK, WORK, WORK / 13:23 MIN / DOCUMENTARY / SURINAME /
Director: HESTER JONKHOUT
Synopsis: Genelva and Sandrina, who think their school uniform is dull. The girls consider and design a whole new outfit.

ZULAIKA / 78 MIN / FICTION / CURA�AO / Director: DIEDERIK VAAN ROIJEN
Synopsis: Zulaika is a 13 year old girl who lives with her deaf grandfather and her grandmother in Cura�ao while her mother is working in Holland. They are poor and children make fun of Zulaika because of her worn-out uniform and of not being able to pay school tuition. Her grandmother gives credit to her clients, although the family store does not run profits. Situation becomes even worse when the grandmother suffers a heart attack. Overcoming the situation will require much persistence from Zulaika.