Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Preliminary tourism figures are in for 2008 and as we have been suspecting all along, the news is not good. Overall, there was a two point five percent reduction, with the Philip Goldson International Airport recording a whopping nine point three percent less arrivals in December. And that wasn't even the worst month for 2008 at the airport as September saw a fifteen percent in decrease, while in October that number increased to almost sixteen percent. The international airport is the main port of entry for United States visitors and the financial crisis that country is experiencing is reflecting in the lack of travel. The good news in the raw data is that there were increases in arrivals at all points in January at seven point four percent, and some smaller upwards movements in February, March, April, and July helped to somewhat lessen the blow. Today Director of Product Development Laura Esquivel told News Five that while the stats are not great, Belize is faring better than some of its Caribbean counterparts. The B.T.B. is also courting at the European and Canadian markets to make up for the U.S. shortfall.

Laura Esquivel, Director of Product Development
"Our market is made up primarily of the American tourists, a little over sixty percent."

Kendra Griffith
"Does this forecast similar for 2009? What are you all expecting?"

Laura Esquivel
"Well, we are looking at our figures right now and what we are seeing is that we are having increases in the Canadian market which we're hoping to kind of promote and to help us offset some of the losses that we're gonna see in the American market. We're also seeing some positiveness when you come to the European markets. Our representatives have just finished a show in the UK and are on to a show in Brussels to promote the European market coming into Belize. We have just completed a show in New York also that kinda hits both the American and the Canadian market at the same time. We're doing a lot of press work also with the American markets and the European markets to try and get those in to sort of offset. But, of course, we are still doing our work in the American market. We are looking at new airline alliances, we have an Aviation Development Committee working on that right now. They are currently in negotiations with up to four airlines to bring new routes into Belize. We are looking at routes from Cancun, Canada, closer to South America and of course the European route. We need to work on all our routes to get everybody in at the same time."

Kendra Griffith
"And as it pertains to cruise arrivals?"

Laura Esquivel
"We were down approximately four percent over last year. However that was expected. We know that the cruise market is sort of up and down. We had already expected that the cruise rivals would be a little less than it was last year. For projecting figures for this coming year we are looking pretty much around the same cruise arrivals we had last year. We have some countries like the Bahamas that I understand are experiencing a five percent decrease, Guyana with twenty-five percent and then other places like Jamaica who have very marginal increases, so I would say that everybody is being affected by the economic downturn on the United States. Many of us market primarily to the American market."

In 2008, Europe and Canada comprised fourteen and seven percent of the market, respectively.

Channel 5

K
K
Marty it sucks all over. We live in the Metro Detroit area and it's about as bad as it gets here. Of course not many people come to Detroit anyway. I know the big vacation destinations in Michigan were down quit a bit last year. Makinaw Island was hurting to say the least. Businesses are shutting down right and left around here.
Overall tourism could be improved some by the airlines. Airfare is outa control. We travel to Phoenix a few times a year for my husbands work. I go along cuz I can...lol and it is reasonable for me to go. That was until now! I have been looking into pricing for the last several months. I am having a hard time paying $400-$500 for rountrip fare. I have seen a few come in around $350 or, but that comes with mulitple stops and or 6 am flights, etc.
The US economy is putting the brakes on many, many travel destinations near and far. They cruise liners are almost giving their cruises away. I can fly cheap to places like Hartford Conn. but what is warm and fuzzy there? It's a sad sad reality and I can't wait for it all ot turn around. From all the stats and professionals guessing at this all we are in for more of the same for sometime, still! I just want the insanity to stop!!

FYI 10 of us will be contributing to the San Pedro tourism about 60 days!

~Kat

Airline fares are getting pretty steep, even with the price of oil going down. My ticket to Belize City from Kansas City, just last week was $850.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
My ticket to BZE from KC for Lobsterfest in June was only $470; caught a good sale on Continental!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 169 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.