Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GILLY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am thinking about buying something like a lot at Palm Beach club for my retirement - say 15K for a lot. It is still at least 10 years away and think it might be a good investment. I cant afford to put up a 100K. Anyone own land at the palm beach club or someplace like that? Any thoughts on the cheap land up north?

S
S
Maybe 40 to 50 years away.

G
GILLY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Let be make myself clear. not looking to make a fortune or anything. Just maybe get some utilities, a few other homes around and the ability to live there with a some basics in 15 years.

the problem is that all these retirement magazines advertise you can live in Belize for 1,000 US per month and find a cheap house for 60,000.. US they are NOT talking about the islands
that is no longer the case.
Mary

mary
S
spl Offline
S
Why would you invest in property for yourself without the intention or hope of making a fortune? That doesn't seem to make sense.

he says clearly cuz he plans to live there. but he is not doing his research on cost of living and employment opportunities for expats.

unfortunately, no crystal ball here. if u got a dream and can afford to take a chance - and possibly lose everything - go for it. otherwise, you gotta go down there, see it, talk to professionals and do your homework. no one here is gonna do it for you. if they did, lots of us in line in front of you!!! best of luck!

S
S
Maybe I am looking at a different kind of property than you are but I have not seen anything for 15K. I was there earlier this month looking at property and will be back in a week to look again. I have a realtor helping me and I just don't think there is anything listed around that price (I am looking at lots only with no structures). I think Mary is right you do need to spend some time there looking, talking with locals and research before you decide on a place or even a budget.

Keep in mind too that although you may buy an inexpensive lot, it might be in an area that will be very expensive to build in. If you buy a "cheap" lot it will need some or all of the following:

1. Fill
2. Electricity
3. Roads
4. Water

All of these items are expensive to supply.

If the lot is in a remote or difficult to access area you will be looking at doubling the cost of construction.

Beware of false savings.

You can buy a decent lot in DFC for $12,500 per lot. Even these lots don't have a useable road, power, water etc. But at least the amenities and utilities are nearby.

For $30K you can buy a lot on a canal which again doesn't feature the necessities yet, but at least they are attainable within a reasonable period of time and expense.

G
GILLY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Sorry - DFC?

G
GILLY Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have sen some lots in that range but they are up by the mexican order. I am thinking that maybe in 10 or 20 years the northern tip may be more populated and make sense to build there then?? It is a dream and I will be down there in a couple of weeks to start scoping it out. I figure there is no hurry in this market. the worlds has lost a lot of wealth and I figure thee will be some deals coming. this mess is not over!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.