Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#325650 - 02/28/09 12:07 AM DEAR MOM & DAD - send money
ScubaLdy Offline
Most of the threads here quickly become hijacked and have nothing to do with the original post. Knowing this I am going to start a post here that I hope can stay on target. This one is about funding.

The Concerned Citizens for Sustainable Development is a growing organization headed up but not restricted to the long time residents of San Pedro. They are seeing their island paradise destroyed and up until recently felt they had little power to be heard.

I’m also pleased to inform you that this is not just a stop South Beach group, although that is the main focus at this point, but dedicated to look at all development that threatens the environment.

With the new central government coming in last year more power has been given to local authorities. Before a developer could simply get approval from Belmopan; now the San Pedro Planning Commission has the final say.

Yesterday some of the candidates for the UDP (red) party attended the San Pedro Business Association meeting. I was privileged to be allowed to attend as an observer. Both Minister Heredia and Mayoress Paz stated that they served as representatives of the people. If the people do not want South Beach there will be no South Beach.

Mr. Heredia was told last Friday that the DOE had placed a stop order on the work that was going on there. He was surprised that it was not enforced. There seems to be some question as to if it was even issued. This is being looked into.

At this point funds are needed to carry out the proposal that have been presented. There are over 400 members now and growing. Just like the letters home from school “PLEASE SEND MONEY!” Make checks out to CC for Sustainable Development.

At yesterday’s meeting one of the fishing guides made an impassioned plea saying that is where he takes his customers to catch bone fish. The people here realize that for every job South Beach would create it may very well destroy ten existing jobs and eventually our entire tourism industry.

When you come down have a guide take you by boat through this beautiful wetlands/waterway.

Who will want to come here when the reef is dead? OH, only those who --- o never mind!

#325653 - 02/28/09 12:30 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: ScubaLdy]
beachbumin Offline
At the end of the day. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. My prediction, and I hope I am wrong, is that after the elections next week, there will be a big ole fat rubber stamp that says "Approved" Hope you can prove me wrong. Money talks...bulls.itt walks.

#325655 - 02/28/09 12:38 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: beachbumin]
Barnacle Offline
i hate to say it but here goes.
i think your right.
i hope i am wrong as well, but i have lost all respect for the GOB, developers, both of them, long ago.
with those elections comming up, you can bet there is more grease being slathered around than it would take to get Oprah thru my doggie door!

edit: OK,, not ALL respect,, but a huge portion of it where this stuff is concerned!

Edited by Barnacle (02/28/09 12:42 AM)

#325656 - 02/28/09 12:49 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: Barnacle]
Barnacle Offline
Interesting. On one hand you (most likely) have developers hurling cash at politicians to get their project green-lighted.
Then on the other hand is the public threatening to not re-elect those politicians, thus taking away their chance for any future cash coming under the table.
What to do, what to do,,,?

#325659 - 02/28/09 01:17 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: Barnacle]
RathaBnBelize Offline
How many people are on the San Pedro Planning Commission? Is it made up of paid employees, town council or both?

#325666 - 02/28/09 02:01 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: RathaBnBelize]
SimonB Offline
If the politicians were smart they would take the developer money, get elected and then turn around and show solidarity with the community.

#325674 - 02/28/09 02:14 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: SimonB]
sweetjane Offline
not that i don't sadly agree with all you fine people, but...

please honor harriette's request to stay on topic. please donate if you feel strongly about this. i will (and save me a t-shirt!).

#325694 - 02/28/09 06:06 AM Re: DEAR MOM & DAD - send money [Re: sweetjane]
Scuba do Offline
Harriette, I will donate,I will be by to see you Saturday

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.