Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#325927 - 03/01/09 11:11 PM Help planning a week in AC in June...
RickP Offline
My wife and I are planning to visit AC on June 11th until the 18th. One place we are considering is the Coral Bay Villas. They look nice from the website but I'd love to hear some opinions on it from you guys. One thing that is important to me is a nice swim-able beach. How is the water/beach right out front of this place? It appears to be just outside of town, is walking/riding into town easy enough that it isn't a nuisance? A few other places we were considering was Corona del Mar, Paradise Villas, maybe the Tides. There seem to be so many places it's tough to make a choice (staying around $100 per night). Any help is appreciated, thanks for your help!

-Rick

#325930 - 03/01/09 11:37 PM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: RickP]
tacogirl Offline
Coral bay is lovely. I like the giant sand yard and hammocks check out Chunkyruths blog for pics http://belizesnowbird.blogspot.com/

#325934 - 03/01/09 11:54 PM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: tacogirl]
RickP Offline
Thanks for the response tacogirl. The giant sand yard does look really nice but I'm worried about the sea grass and the beach. Another place that I just came across is the Belizean Reef. One thing that catches my eye is that the reviews on Trip Advisor state that it is right next to a really nice swimming beach (I guess Ramon's). I'd really love to be able to swim/snorkel right next to wherever we decide to stay. Being closer to town may be a good thing as well.

#325939 - 03/02/09 12:38 AM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: RickP]
Nancy1340 Offline
Rick, I know you will love Ambergris Caye but there is very little swimming or snorkeling off the beach. There is so much sea grass and it's very shallow all along the beaches. That and the area off the beaches is basically a highway for all the boats coming and going up and down the beach.

That said, you will find great snorkeling at the reef at Mexico Rocks and Shark Ray Alley. I took over two hundred photos in two days of snorkeling there. I was told that the best swimming and snorkeling from the beach is at the beach at Mexico Rocks but we took a boat so we could get out to the reef area.

#325940 - 03/02/09 12:44 AM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: Nancy1340]
Otteralum Offline
That said, Ramon's is one of the better swimming beaches close to town

#325941 - 03/02/09 12:49 AM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: Otteralum]
Nancy1340 Offline
Otter, I did not know that. Very good. Is it as grassy as the area near Ruby's? Or deeper so the grass is not as much of a problem. Well not a "problem" but still a lot of grass. LOL

#325942 - 03/02/09 12:51 AM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: Nancy1340]
treetops Offline
We swim at Ramones all the time. We are owners at Belizean Reef, just to be clear, and have been coming down for about 15 years. I agree Mexico Rocks and all the other spots, including Hol Chan are wonderful, but if you just want to swim close to your hotel, Ramones is great for us. You have to wade out, or else just jump off the north side of the dock out towards the end. I stay under the dock, or on the north side and you are pretty safe. Most boats dock on the south side. The amount of fish is incredible, and they are very tame. You can just float around and look down at them all. I think I have seen almost every kind of fish in the book at Ramones, including squid, eels, and even a small shark.
The remains of a dock are still there, and you can acutally stand on old pieces of cement and have your head above water. There are other docks around that have become artificial reefs of a sort.

#325954 - 03/02/09 01:55 AM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: treetops]
RickP Offline
treetops, swimming from a dock or by Ramon's is pretty much what I had in mind. My wife and I still want to head to the marine reserve, shark alley, Mexico rocks, and I don't expect swimming near the hotel to replace that. But a quick dip near the hotel or swimming near the dock to check out the fish is what I had in mind and something that I really enjoyed in Hawaii. I sent an e-mail to Belizean Reef as they seem to have great deals in their packages. Location seems nice and close to town as well so this may be a better option. Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

#326001 - 03/02/09 02:00 PM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: RickP]
shuffles Offline
You can jump off most any pier for a quick dip and snorkeling. What most people forget is that the island is about 5 miles wide...and with our penchant for keeping the reef alive, sea grass is necessary, for small fish and to keep erosion down. When you factor in three or four streets of structures lined up lengthwise, that doesn't allow for the big stretches of sandy beach that you will find in other places.

We had a couple stop by last night because they wanted a bigger beach than what they saw at Exotic Caye. Ramons does have a wider beach than most places in town, or you would have to go north of town to find a beach like you might find in Florida, and if you do, chances are there will still be sea grass around.

#326004 - 03/02/09 02:08 PM Re: Help planning a week in AC in June... [Re: shuffles]
collyk Offline
I love swimming in the sea and do so regularly. The water is so clear and salty, it feels like you are having an expensive spa bath.

I sometimes swim off the beach, but this involves floating in a foot of water for some time, with turtle grass tickling my tummy. You can avoid much of the turtle grass on some of the beaches by following little channels round it, but if you like snorkeling, the turtle grass can be great fun. I've encountered all sorts of fish and other creatures when I've snorkeled over sea grass.

Going in off the docks is the best way to get into water that will be deep enough to swim in comfortably and leaping off a dock is a truly caribbean experience. Don't stray out into the boat lanes and you'll have a great time.

Mata Rocks has a lovely little beach for swimming and is next door to Mar Del Tumbo beach, which is considered one of the best beaches. Just two resorts down and you are on Victoria House's beach, which has a perfect dock for swimming.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.