Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JZB #328226 03/13/09 09:04 PM
A bonefishing guide I know in the Bahamas swears by Lemon Joy. Rubs it on in the mroning, jumps into the water after the day is done and rinses off. Only thing that keeps the doctor flies, their version of horse flies, off according to him. I've always suspected he was pulling my leg, but maybe not. Too icky for me. Only thing I'm bothered by here is the horseflies when I'm on the flats. But Deep Woods Off on skin and clothes does the trick for those.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
skippy #328384 03/15/09 09:05 AM
J
J
I do think some people build up an immunity to sand flea bites. My husband used to have those huge red/purple welts for a couple weeks whenever he was bit. Now, either he doesn't get bit (unlikely) or he doesn't react.

I've been on Ambergris for about a month and have only seen a couple of mosquitos and that was early on, when there was a bit of rain. If the sand fleas are biting, I haven't noticed. The bug spray remains unused on the counter, haven't touched it at all. I do live south of town, not north, if that makes a difference, and I'm on the beach, so it's windy.

JeanH #328395 03/15/09 10:45 AM
P
P
Wait until the wet season, and start stocking up your sprays. South is worse than North as it's lower with more standing water.

Moose In Belize #329275 03/19/09 10:04 PM
A prescription to keeping the bug bites a non-issue ~

I use Claritin (1x morning and 1x afternoon), combined with 95% Deet from REI, the itching is kept to a minimum. The Deet keeps the bugs and no-see-ums at bay while the claritin reduces the itching. My reaction is so severe that my doctor has requested a Deet product even though I would definately prefer to use something less controversial. Avon products, Off and other over the counter items do not work for a blond, blue eyed, fair skin female who is also allergic to bees.

Allergic to mosguitos, I had tried this at home and during my first trip to the Cayes I decided to see if it would work there as well. It was the perfect solution. At least until we went diving. The Deet washed off and the no-see-ums loved me. However, the Claritin kept me from itching.

Because the tablet form (vs liquid) keeps it in your system over a longer term, the itchy feel never became a problem. This has always worked much better than benadryl and other over the counter products. Something to do with the Lotrimin (I think that is the ingredient) about the Claritin that works. Check the generic brands because they don't seem to have the same ingredients. Some do, some don't and it DOES make a difference.

All I know is that for me it makes all the difference between spotted red swollen legs and my sanity. Without the Claritin, I have red, oozing swells sometimes as large as my fist. The itching doesn't stop and as a result, my legs have become scarred before I discovered this combination. Taking the pills alone without Deet is ok, but the bites look like red lumps covering my legs, arms and face.

NW Traveler #329302 03/20/09 12:06 AM
i've had really good luck with avon's "skin-so-soft bug guard plus" its an insect repellant and a sunscreen in one...smells good 2...it comes in a cream or a spray, but i prefer the cream...seems to last longer than the spray...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 181 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.