Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
What was supposed to be a day of relaxation and fun, turned out to be a sad day for a group of tourists snorkeling at the Hol Chan Marine Reserve after one of them drowned.

At approximately 11:00 am a group of friends visiting Ambergris Caye decided to visit one of the country's most acclaimed snorkeling sites, Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Unofficial reports say that the group was out at Hol Chan without a tour guide when a member of the group David Gregor, 55-year-old US National from New Jersey, started experiencing some heart problems and started to drown. Assistance was offered to Gregor as he signalled from a cluster of coral. His friends including a nearby boat captain assisted in attempts to revive him. By the time, help arrived, Gregor was transported to the boat but made it there in an unconcious state.

CPR was offered but Gregor was prounced dead on arrival at San Pedro Town by Dr. Javier Zuniga.

No foul play is expected.

From the Ambergris Today and the San Pedro Sun

N
N
[Linked Image] RIP Mr. Gregor. [Linked Image]

I'm sure his friends and family are very sad and my sympathy goes out to them.

But really, if a person had their druthers, wouldn't this be one pick of a good way to go, if it was your time?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

N
N
Seashell, I was trying to think of a good way to say just what you did.

S
S
We pray peace for the Gregor family.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care
I'd have a tough time being philosophical about loosing my husband on a vacation in a foreign land - along with being far from home and far from comfort zones, these poor folks are faced with heaps of red tape, very gruesome conditions in the morgue where ID is made ....... all this whilst in a state of loss and shock and when they finish all this stuff they get to fly home with a body. My heart goes out to them.

We loose several snorkelers each year to heart-attacks - mostly at Hol Chan, mostly 55-65 year old males, mostly from cruise ships.

Hol Chan can a reasonably challenging spot when currents are strong yet it is the most common place for a person to go on their first snorkel in Belize and sometimes the first snorkel in their lives. Most first timers have little or no idea that snorkeling can be physically challenging - putting strain on hearts already stressed by age and lifestyle.

Could be we need to develop another site or two where water is shallower, people don't have to exert themselves so much ...... and they won't be so scared knowing the water is not over their heads?

JZB Offline
I think it would be wise to train the park rangers in emergency first aid and have their boat equipped with the proper tools.

P
P
The most effective tool to have available in the event of a heart attack is a defibrillator - together of course with the skills to use it. Current models are almost "idiot proof", and (in first world terms) relatively affordable. The ranger at Hol Chan should have one on his boat, with the skills to use it. That might mean he'd need a larger boat, as the patient needs to lie flat. I'm sure their income has dropped along with that of the rest of us, but a way should be found.

Diane's point about Hol Chan not always being ideal for the people who visit it is well made. On Ambergris Caye we should perhaps push Mexico Rocks as a more suitable venue (no current), and I believe there's a comparable place between Caye Caulker and Hol Chan. At busy times Hol Chan is simply too busy anyway.

N
N
Diane, of course you are right. My husband is a little older than I am and the possibility of him passing away before me is always there. When his time comes I just pray he's doing something he loves. And he loves snorkeling in the Caribbean so very much.

I hope this man's poor family are comforted a tiny bit by him doing something that he loved when it happened. But I guess there is never a good time. So sad.

Don't you get electrocuted if you use a de-fib in a wet place?

There are some amazing shallow water snorkel sites across from Santa Rita - 3-4 feet of water, lots of fish and very colorful soft coral.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.