Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Does anyone know what I need to do to for American Express and VISA to authorize usage in San Pedro? I was told by the merchant (tour guide) that I need to do something to authorize overseas purchases of large amounts.

Any tips from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

- Steve (from Utah)

S
S
Just call your credit card provider (number on the back of your card) and tell them you will be travelling to Belize and to expect charges from merchants in this country.

E
E
Never heard of such a thing

S
S
I deal with it frequently.

E
E
I suppose "Large amounts" is relative but I have made some rather large purchases in SP, never had a problem.

Yes Steve you need to inform your card company that you will be traveling overseas. You can give them the dates that charges can be made to the card.

Some folks that travel frequently simply have it noted on their files that the cards will be used in other countries so they don't have to call their company each time they travel.

L
L
Credit card companies can and do, arbitrarily put a "hold" on usage of your card if there is suspected fradulent activity or if the card is being used in a place the cardholder rarely or never uses it. I always just call the bank and place a travel alert on my cards, giving them info on my dates and places of travel. Takes just a few minutes.

I'm with Laurie. I've done the same. Many years ago had an experience with a "hold", so taking the few minutes to make the call prior to leaving, just goes on the list of things to do: call credit card company, stop mail delivery, water plants, turn off the watermain, lower the thermostat, etc.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Ernie, your credit card company already shows your history of repeat trips.

If you were to suddenly change it up and go to Timbuktu, you might find a "hold" on your credit card.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

AmEx is the only card I've ever used and I've never alerted them before travel, had my "files noted" or experienced a hold. Once I did have my AmEx card "counterfeited" when I was in Mexico. Charges were made all over the country after I'd returned home. AmEx promptly called me to verify the charges weren't mine, cancelled that card and issued a new one within 24 hours. I don't know what criteria a credit card company would use to make a determination about how to handle different customers.

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.