Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#32886 - 01/05/01 03:06 PM places to eat on AC
MIBAC Offline
Goint the first week of FEB and need some ideas of places to eat while on the island, any ideas or better places for Breakfast vs dinner? What about real Belizian food?

#32887 - 01/05/01 04:26 PM Re: places to eat on AC
Dallas Dave Offline
My favorite place is a new one called Mangos. Really cool people there. Prices are moderate. Food is Cajun and Carribean.

#32888 - 01/05/01 05:07 PM Re: places to eat on AC
margarita Offline
Estel's Dine by the Sea in the center of town on the beach is my favorite breaksfast stop. Nothing like watching the sunrise over the Caribbean, with your feet in the sand sippin' the coffee. Belize and American foods, plenty of music and great people.
Do a search and you will find everyone's favorites!

#32889 - 01/05/01 09:38 PM Re: places to eat on AC
rickcheri Offline
definitley Estel's for breakfast!!Lots of good places to eat. But if you're there on a Weds., it's burrito day at Mickey's!!!Best evere!!

#32890 - 01/05/01 11:04 PM Re: places to eat on AC
booblers Offline
Whatever you do don't miss BC'S BBQ on Sundays. The food is excellent and you will have a great time. It starts around 11:30 and I hear it sells out around 4. My boyfriend and I liked Lilly's for breakfast and dinner.

#32891 - 01/05/01 11:35 PM Re: places to eat on AC
Annie Offline
Nothing beats rum cake from Celi's Deli for breakfast. Dinners at Celi's on the beach are great too.

#32892 - 01/06/01 01:47 AM Re: places to eat on AC
Sandshaker Offline
This was taken from an earlier post....
The only thing that is different since the hurricane is that the Smokehouse is no longer there.....I heard today though that the guy that ran it is now at the Palapa Bar & Grill north of the cut. I hope so....he's got Great food!

There is one I'd like to add to the list....Papi's Diner.....good food......good prices and great company! It's behind the Seven Seas Resort on the beachfront. Just find Seven Seas....and then go to the street behind it....or ask anyone in town....they will direct you.

Also......Elvi's is back in business and lookin good.....great job on their building.
They are ready to serve up that great food!

I fell in love with Estell's when I first visited Ambergris Caye in 1995. The food was good....the grouper sandwich was excellent. I think breakfast is also my favorite time there. It is great to sit outside with your feet in the sand and watch the water while having your morning coffee. I think the sea breeze aids in digestion too....LOL. I don't dine there often now....not because the food isn't good...it's just that with inflation...the prices have gone up a bit since my first visit there. If I were on vacation I probably wouldn't mind it...but living here I try to watch my budget....lol.
Here are a few of the local places that have good food at great prices.(Most of these Jesse mentioned earlier...we must eat at the same places Jesse...LOL)

JAMBEL JERKS is one my favorites. Nice atmosphere, great fish basket and coconut curry chicken. He makes a mean pina colada too! HUGE!

CANNIBALS is my lunch hangout every day and favorite. They have great baked potatoes with various toppings and good salads. The pan fried fish dinner is really great. Good prices too. They dont do dinner though. This is another good breakfast spot....on the beach too. Great waffles!

REEF RESTAURANT on middle street. Cheap...good local food. I get lobster burritos for $5 bz. You can get a whole fish fried with rice and beans for about $7 bz. Sand floor...nice staff...clean bathrooms.

CELI'S DELI on Front St. Good sandwiches! Great tamales! No burgers though.
SMOKEHOUSE at THE BOATYARD...ask anyone in town...they can direct you. The food is a little bit higher but not unreasonable. They make a great burger....and the smoked chicken is very good. Nice potato salad too! You get the added plus of sitting lagoon side here...and there is always a nice breeze. I've had very relaxing lunches here.

TACO STAND...at least that's what I call it...LOL It is next door to the Rock's grocery on Middle St. Just a little hole in the wall....painted blue...very tiny. They have good tacos and burritos there. The tacos are 3 for $1bz....you can rack up on these....

RUBY'S DELI...Front St.....good place to get breakfast...wonderful cinnamon buns....place is always busy in the AM.

CORAL BEACH DIVE SHOP....LOL....yes a dive shop....for breakfast. A little known fact amongst tourist is that they have the best Johnny Cakes I've ever eaten. For a $1.50 bz each...you get a bisquit-like bun filled with this shredded chicken mixed with a sauce. To this day I've been begging for the recipe. Put a little hot sauce on those and boy...you've got a meal. That is the poor man's Belizean breakfast....LOL
OOPS!.....I forgot a couple

The girls at the Hideaway make mean down home cookin'! Good prices and great laid back fun!

Just north of the Belize Yatcht Club.....on the same side of the street.
Good food.....good service and good prices.
Great Curry!.....the Sweet and Sour ain't bad either!

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 01-05-2001).]

#32893 - 01/06/01 02:31 AM Re: places to eat on AC
Wendy Offline
Has Elvi's rebuilt on their original property? I think this would be a good thing to post!

#32894 - 01/06/01 08:29 AM Re: places to eat on AC
Sandshaker Offline
Yesssss.......same place.....refurbished building.

On Middle Street across from Island Vibes gift shop and Martha's Hotel.

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 01-06-2001).]

#32895 - 01/07/01 03:58 PM Re: places to eat on AC
susangg Offline
Jambel's Jerk Pit is the greatest! No wimps though, its real jerk. The jerk lobster special is to die for, moderate prices too.
Best deal is sidewalk cuisine, go to the one that has "Coca Cola" on it. Stewed chicken rice and beans plate, burritos, everything made from scratch, yum!
Papi's Diner on Middle Street, in residential area past the high school. Great food, inexpensive.
Ambergris Delight on Middle Street has best fried chicken in town. The Reef, also on Middle Street has great food at low prices, the stewed lobster is wonderful.
Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: susangg@garcia.mpowermail.com

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Marty), 28 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,719 Topics
461,263 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.