Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#329100 - 03/19/09 05:46 AM Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye!
Short Offline
Leonardo DiCaprio Reveals plans for Private Island Blackadore Caye in Belize

Leonardo DiCaprio has recently unveiled his plans for his private island, Blackadore Caye in Belize, just west of Ambergris Caye. The renowned actor and environmental activist has teamed up with the Four Seasons to develop the 104-acre tropical private island into a conscientious exclusive eco-luxury resort.

DiCaprio had originally discovered the island on a vacation in 2004 while staying at the ultra-luxury resort Cayo Espanto. DiCaprio purchased the private island with Cayo Espanto owner Jeff Gram in 2005 for a reported $1.75 million. The two have now begun drawing up plans with Four Seasons to create a five-star luxury resort based on sustainable design and environmental conservation.

Blackadore Caye is located off the coast of Belize and is situated between the Belize coast and the famous vacation hotspot Ambergris Caye. The private island resort will be designed around the environment and carefully integrated to the unspoiled surroundings. DiCaprio intends for the eco-luxury private island to serve as a benchmark for testing innovative “green” technology and natural energy sources such as water, sun and wind.

The eco luxury private island resort is reportedly designed to include an 80-room luxury hotel with private beach villas, spa services and fine dining restaurants. The private island will also include a solar-paneled airstrip to provide additional power. The private island will also include an exclusive collection of private villas with private pools and direct access to beaches. These discreet and extremely lavish private villas will cater to an A-list clientele and possibly several famous friends of DiCaprio.

http://www.ambergristoday.com/html/archives.php?p=031909#_st4

#329115 - 03/19/09 02:59 PM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye! [Re: Short]
sweetjane Offline
was this info released before, like years ago? i'm sure i heard all this (or pretty close to it) previously?

#329117 - 03/19/09 03:07 PM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye! [Re: sweetjane]
terrielinn Offline
Quite the environmentalist for sure......Let's purchase an island and build, build, build..... Where are those darned rolley eyes????

#329124 - 03/19/09 03:41 PM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye! [Re: terrielinn]
ScubaLdy Offline
Let's get them involved in the 'sustainable development' movement~

#329263 - 03/20/09 02:57 AM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye! [Re: ScubaLdy]
Short Offline
Blackadore Caye does not have very high land, actually during high tides it floods. I wonder in which sustainable way he is going to fill the island? Also the island is surrounded by flats, that make boat access difficult. I hope they are not going to dredge there like was done around Caye Chapel in the past!

#329264 - 03/20/09 03:05 AM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Caye! [Re: Short]
skippy Offline
Googled this and the story is indeed years old on the intertubes.

#329272 - 03/20/09 03:51 AM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Ca [Re: Short]
SP Daily Offline
Originally Posted By: Short
Blackadore Caye does not have very high land, actually during high tides it floods. I wonder in which sustainable way he is going to fill the island? Also the island is surrounded by flats, that make boat access difficult. I hope they are not going to dredge there like was done around Caye Chapel in the past!

Been there many times in all conditions and never saw any flooding. There once was a coconut cocal on the north end...the old house foundation is still there...and a fairly good concrete dock...with about 5' depth all the way to it. The only low area is in the mid-section where theres a salt grass area. Theres a fresh water source about 1/3rd way up from the south end. Nice island!

#329335 - 03/20/09 03:43 PM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Ca [Re: Short]
Amanda Syme Offline

Originally Posted By: Short

There is a great coconut stand there on the north end. I have never seen the island flood - probably did on the south end during Hurricane Keith - but that was extreme weather. Shallow water access (regular skiffs) isvery easy. In fact pirate ships used to stop off there to rest and get fresh water etc.

There is also a deep water channel nearby that the sugar barges use.

Sorry short - but you are wrong.

#329572 - 03/21/09 07:03 AM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Ca [Re: Amanda Syme]
Short Offline
I stand correct, thanks for correcting me. I do hope they will not need any excessive dredging.

#329590 - 03/21/09 03:00 PM Re: Leonardo has his plans ready for Blackadore Ca [Re: ScubaLdy]
Amanda Syme Offline
It doesn't look like there will be a need for dredging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (lomckenna, Marty, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,303 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.