Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32949 - 01/07/01 09:26 AM beach fishing
sandbar Offline
I'm interested in doing some beach fishing as well as chartering a boat. Is it worth while bringing my own tackle to try my luck from the beach for a few hours in the evening? Don't want to bring it along if it isn't worth while. Appreciate any feedback.

#32950 - 01/07/01 04:36 PM Re: beach fishing
Marty Offline
You'll do much better in the boat...

#32951 - 01/08/01 02:49 AM Re: beach fishing
Edd Offline
Yeah, you'll certainly do better in a boat, but you can also score from the beach. Almost nobody fishes from the beach on AC, but then almost nobody fishes, period, out of AC. There are limited places to fish from the beach, but if you're willing to get in a cart and get away from the resorts, bonefish and all of the local reef fish are in abundant supply. Ultra-light tackle with small spinners and grubs will catch almost everything. Rattletraps will also catch most of the reef fish, plus barracuda. Bring your gear, and Good Fishing. That said, ALL of the local guides can put you on fish for a VERY reasonable price.

#32952 - 01/08/01 04:36 AM Re: beach fishing
OLDBLUE2 Offline
Yes! Bring your fishing gear! I fished from shore very successfully on two previous visits. Plan to do it again a week from now. I fished for bonefish from the flats at the cut just north of San Pedro, from the beaches north of the cut and from the docks and beaches in toen and south of town. Caught bonefish just about anytime water conditions were right, any time of day...Water must be calm.

Fished for dinner using sardines purchsed at a bait shop immediately side of the airport. Fished from the beach and docks in town and on the south side of town beginning about 4:00 PM. We often cooked in the condo and found restaurants very willing to clean and serve my fish for about $5.00 per person. They were especially willing if I had a little extra fish that they could serve to others at full price.

There are many good guides and fishing from a boat is an option. I did it and enjoyed it although that tarpon still eludes me. You can fish for an hour or more anytime you feel like it with your own gear. By all means, do it!

Good luck!

Jim

#32953 - 01/08/01 06:36 AM Re: beach fishing
OLDBLUE2 Offline
Almost forgot...
There is a good tackle shop owned by an American on the beach just south of town. He can furnish the jigs that I found very good for bonefish from the beach.

Frozen sardines are available at the bait shop on the street that runs parallel with and immediately west of the airport runway.

Good luck!

Jim

#32954 - 01/08/01 10:29 AM Re: beach fishing
sandbar Offline
Thank you Jim and Capt. Marty.

Jim, you convinced me, I will bring my stuff and test my luck. Sounds like we will be there at the same time. I will be there from the 16th to the 23rd or 26th. I'll try to leave some fish for you since you were so kind to give me some free advise.

Marty, I have found many subjects with some input from you and I appreciate them all. This message board has been a great source of information for me.

Take care,

Bruce

#32955 - 01/08/01 10:31 AM Re: beach fishing
sandbar Offline
Sorry I forgot about you Ed, thanks also. I will bring along a few Rattletraps.

#32956 - 01/08/01 04:51 PM Re: beach fishing
Marty Offline
there is also a fly shop at El Pescador Resort....

#32957 - 01/08/01 08:17 PM Re: beach fishing
ScubaLdy Offline
SanBar
Where will you be staying?
I'm going to be there at the same time.

#32958 - 01/08/01 09:22 PM Re: beach fishing
sandbar Offline
Scubaldy,

Staying at Banana Beach. With a name like Scubaldy, I presume you will be diving. I too will be diving as well as fishing obviously, any tips on which company to go with or where to go besides what is already on the message boards?

Marty, I'm not much in to fly fishing but I will check out his shop. Think I'll stick with a spinning reel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (mickdiver, Michael Schultz, 1 invisible), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,370 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.