Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BBlue Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi All-

I have been lurking on this site for a bit in anticipation for a 2 week visit to Belize starting next week. What a wealth of information! Something that I have been curious about is whether the overall downturn in the US (and world) economy has had a significant affect on overall tourism and lodging vacancy rates in places like AC, CC and Placencia. If so, do you folks think it's reasonable to expect that there is some room for negotiation on lodging rates and other services from normal "peak season" listings? While I have traveled to many places where negotiating is the norm for any type of service, this is my first visit to Belize and I wonder if this is expected or if haggling over rates would seem rude or un-welcomed. I am traveling on a bit of a budget and plan on staying in budget to moderately priced places ($40-60US/ night.

Thanks for any advice. I can't wait to see Belize and visit with you all.

BB

N
N
Stay at Ruby's and you won't have to worry about negotiating anything. 5-10 walking time from almost everything. What more could you want other than Ruby's and BC's?

Nancy, don't forget all that great food within that 10 min walk!!!!!!! smile

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
N
N
True that AZ.

Some sesame shrimp from Sunset would be great for supper tonight. Or a thin crust pizza from ..........hummmmmm?? Man the name is on the tip of my tongue. wink

I would think that places who have vacancy for a last minute booking might accept a discounted price, especially for a longer stay. Maybe ask for the low season rate? I don't think it hurts to ask.

i agree with cakelee. some places will offer last minute lodging deals. never hurts to ask.

Next week is still in busy season, do not be surprised if they do not go for a deal, it will depend on weather or not they have the rooms booked, that being said, you might get a discount on one or two nights, but you might also have a problem booking your whole stay in one hotel, IMHO. good luck

Reality..What a concept!
S
S
Be polite and remember that you are most likely dealing with an employee with very little freedom to deal.

B
B
Most of the hotels in San Pedro will negotiate provided they are not full. The world economy, however, has affected San Pedro deeply and occupancy is much lower than it normally would be this time of year. That being said, I doubt anyone your run into would be offended by you trying to negotiate the rates. With your budget, however, there are only a few places that will work for you. take Nancy's advice try Ruby's.

Beergod in Belize
Coconuts Caribbean Resort
http://www.coconutsbelize.com
B
B
In my practice, I've never liked folks calling me and just trying to beat me down on price. However, I've had folks who've accomplished practically the same thing by simply being more polite about it. When my wife and I come, we have our favorite two places to stay. But when I go with my buddies, I'll send out a lot of emails to different places, usually asking them what their best price is they can offer. The answer has been different at different times, but it has gotten me good deals.

I think even for the rate you're listing, you might be able to look at some of the lower-price rental houses, and, if they're empty, they may deal. An $80/night rental house might rather take your $40/night than be empty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.