Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#32978 - 01/07/01 08:40 PM Jungle area near belompan/tikal
Virginia Offline
question on the jungle area near belmopan. we want to get off the ac for a side trip and see some ruins. chaa creek and blancaneaux sound awesome but pricey. are they more of a destination in themselves or a place to stay if visiting Tikal. Is Tikal better than El Pilar?

Is chaa creek worth the money? do you drive out here or fly?

#32979 - 01/08/01 09:52 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
Tikal is far, far more interesting than El Pilar. Indeed, El Pilar is not even the most interesting Maya site in Cayo -- that would be Xunantunich.

All the places you mention are great places to stay. Cayo District is a tremendous destination in itself, well worth up to a week or more for caving, seeing Maya sites, rainforest and mountain hiking, horseback riding, birding and other activities.

Besides the lodges you mention, which are expensive but worth it, I also recommend (among others) Ek 'Tun, duPlooy's, Five Sisters, Mopan River Resort (if you want a high-value all-inclusive) and, near Belmopan, Ian Anderson's, Banana Bank, Pook's Hill and Jaguar Paw.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
(288 pages, more than 75 photos and maps, available for $14.95 from Amazon.com)
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#32980 - 01/08/01 10:30 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
mina Offline
I have to recommend Hidden Valley Inn in Cayo as a great destination as well as a base to see Tikal and other great sites. Fantastic and I think less expensive than Blacaneaux.

#32981 - 01/09/01 10:50 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
Debbie Offline
I agree with Lan Sluder. DuPlooy's is just wonderful. We stayed there last May/June. It's on the river, up a cliff side, so you can even swim. They have canoes so you can canoe into town and they will pick you back up. The grounds are absolutely incredible. They have botanical gardens on site. They bend over backwards to get you the tours you want, and arrange everything. Even a box lunch if you need it. They have a deck that extends out into the jungle canopy and they send fruit out by pulley every morning to attract the birds. Tucans and everything!! The rooms are fabulous and the little Mayan ladies in the kitchen do some fabulous things with food. We were delighted. Try their web site!

#32982 - 01/09/01 11:28 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
Suzan Offline
If you are at all physically fit and enjoy hiking, tubing, etc., I cannot say enough good things about Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, near Belmopan (www.cavesbranch.com) -- and about the physically fit part, I am 45 years old, slim but never work out -- and I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat. It's a great place, great setting and a real jungle experience.
http://www.roughwriters.com Smooth communications in all media

#32983 - 01/10/01 12:36 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
khallbeck Offline
Hi there, We just got back from A/C and Tikal (31 dec, 2000).

What I would suggest if you want to see ruins (that was our main goal) is to plan on 4-5 days in Flores, Guatemala. From there they have lists of tours that you can take. And it's a 7.x to 1 US dollar exchange. nice and inexpensive.
You do have to pay a 30 USD departure tax for leaving Guatamala and 20 USD for leaving Belize, so, try to leave each only once.

I have a town map of Flores at work, email me at kgolden@altera.com if you want some hotel numbers.

Flores is an island, very small, and clean.
We likes Flores more than anything else on our trip. Which was a BIG surprise!
Kerri Hallbeck

#32984 - 01/10/01 09:36 AM Re: Jungle area near belompan/tikal
Virginia Offline
Just dropped you an email but looking for additional advice. We're trying to use Frequent Flyer miles into Belize and are having some difficulty. We've found some into Cancun so could drive south to spend some beach time on the Mexican Caribbean near Tulum but also really like the sound of the Cayo district and Flores. Do you know if you can fly from Cancun/Tulum area to Flores and how expensive it might be? Airline suggestions? Do you know if you can fly into San Ignacio or Belompan from AC or is it better to drive/bus?

We'll only be on vacation for 8 nights so are trying to not make the trip too choppy, consumed by too much travel and not enough R&R.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Marty, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,733 Topics
461,294 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.