Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33027 - 01/09/01 07:21 AM sewage
JB Offline
How do they get rid of their sewage do they pump it into theocean near shore or what. I am worried about the cleanliness of the water.

#33028 - 01/09/01 04:38 PM Re: sewage
Marty Offline
Drinking water you ask about? they have a water treatment plant for tap water, and lots of good bottled water.

#33029 - 01/09/01 06:35 PM Re: sewage
OLDBLUE2 Offline
Cleanliness of the water, both sea water and drinking water does not seem to be a problem.

The sea water on the east side of the island is certainly clean and clear.

I don't think you want to swim on the lee side of the island for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that we saw a crocodile sunning himself in the mud on the side of a pond during our first visit four years ago.

In the past, we could drink tap water with no problems. However, the Belican Beer distributor just south of town will deliver beer and softdrinks by the case and drinking water in a 5 gal plastic jug. Just call them or stop by and order. They will deliver to your hotel or condo. Very reasonably priced. Good luck!

#33030 - 01/09/01 10:46 PM Re: sewage
Amanda Syme Offline
San Pedro Town also features a sewerage (sewage?) treatment plant.

Hope this eases your worries.

#33031 - 01/10/01 03:30 AM Re: sewage
Dallas Dave Offline
WASA is on the south side of town. We live down that way and drink the tap water no problem. Once in town..No way. The old pipes will make you ill if you are a gringo. Anything south of Blake street and you should be fine.

#33032 - 01/10/01 03:53 AM Re: sewage
midnite lurker Offline
Better go back to Dallas Dave! Youre full of it, again. Theres lots of Gringos drinking the town WASA water and doing fine.

#33033 - 01/11/01 09:33 PM Re: sewage
Daemyon Offline
Not to be the voice of doom, but Dr. Marioshi did have a study of the waters(both fresh and salt) done about 2 years ago. During his brief tenure working for Green Reef, my ex-roomate David found that there was indeed E-Coli bacteria in the waters off the reef at the south end of the island near the dump...the Green Reef report should be available if you wish to look into it.

#33034 - 01/11/01 09:45 PM Re: sewage
Debbie Offline
Daemyon,
Makes sense if it's near the dump. Heavy rains carry that kind of stuff. How far is the dump from town?

#33035 - 01/12/01 05:10 AM Re: sewage
Edd Offline
All I can tell you is that I've had the local tapwater from Capricorn to Banyon Bay. No problems so far. As for swimming offshore, unless I was immediately east of the plant, I wouldn't give it a thought. Can we say "a spit in the ocean?"

#33036 - 01/12/01 03:15 PM Re: sewage
SP Daily Offline
How could the statement "there was indeed E-Coli bacteria in the waters off the reef at the south end of the island near the dump.." possibly be true when the dump is located across the island on the far western shore?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.