Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#330483 - 03/28/09 08:37 PM Robbing you in your sleep.
SCgirl Offline
I stayed on Caye Caulker in January and really enjoyed the island and the people. But I would never rent a place without a safe. I had heard that people will break in at night and rob you but I was sure that I would not be a victim. But after an enjoyable dinner and a few drinks I went back to the house and forgot to lock my purse in the safe. A little cash, traveler checks (dah), cell phone, watch on the kitchen counter. But they did have some sort of morals they returned the purse with my passport. I think the scarey part is that I was sleeping only 10 feet away from the purse. I had hoped to return but I just don't know..it creeped me out. I hope the island police take control of this situation.

#330496 - 03/28/09 10:36 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: SCgirl]
Peter Jones Offline
Years of staying youth hostels or in the wild taught me how to look after my valuables. I would wrap them in a very rustly cellophane bag and hide that near me so that to reach it anyone would have to reach over me. On one occasion I was woken by the cellophane rustling but never saw who had tried to take it. When mountain biking in remote areas I locked a cable to my bicycle and took the other end into the tent and under me, so that I would be woken if the cable was pulled. Later I added a bear bell to the cable. Never lost the bicycle.

#330498 - 03/29/09 12:21 AM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: SCgirl]
Short Offline
Originally Posted By: SCgirl
they returned the purse with my passport.
Thank God for the honest thieves on Caye Caulker!

#330524 - 03/29/09 05:20 AM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: Short]
champion Offline
Originally Posted By: Short
Originally Posted By: SCgirl
they returned the purse with my passport.
Thank God for the honest thieves on Caye Caulker!

EXCUSE ME!, WHAT DID YOU SAY SHORT ?????????

#330867 - 03/31/09 09:19 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: Peter Jones]
SCgirl Offline
That's nice but most adults don't expect to pay $400-$500 a week and sleep with one eye open watching their valuables. Its a sad day when we must vacation in homes with bars on the windows and safes for ALL our valuables.

#330892 - 03/31/09 10:32 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: SCgirl]
kerry Offline
sorry...but u take that risk anywhere u go...whether it be a vacation, or to work...someone can break in....chit happens! just my opinion

#330903 - 03/31/09 11:11 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: kerry]
Peter Jones Offline
I stayed in a 5* hotel in Denmark on business once, and my room was robbed during the night. My wallet, laptop, car keys and indeed car all went. It can happen anywhere.

#330920 - 04/01/09 01:08 AM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: Peter Jones]
SnoopysMom Offline
This also happened to us in Caye Caulker on the one overnight we stayed there (after yrs and yrs of hotel stays in Jamaca, Rio, Thailand, etc) stealing our camera and phones. Makes one wonder if hotel employees are involved somehow.

I have heard similar experiences from others. Bottom line is that the hotels should be more proactive and install locks that prevent entering (chain or something) - it is creepy to be robbed this way, leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes your fun trip to an adorable caribbean island not so much fun.

#331487 - 04/05/09 03:26 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: SnoopysMom]
2MILESNORTHOFCUT Offline
In the USA a bunch of stores (Cost Cutters, Harbor Freight, Bed Bath & Beyond to name a few), All sell cheap "Stick-on" battery operated magnetic alarms that can be put on windows and doors and produce an ear piersing sound when activated eek. They also come with an on/off switch.

It may be well worth it to bring a few on Vacation with you and just leave them when you depart or take them and get some double face tape for the next time.

Someone sneeking into a window and hears a loud alarm going off will not stick around very long. blush

#331491 - 04/05/09 04:02 PM Re: Robbing you in your sleep. [Re: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT]
Dane Offline
Mostly they walk in your door left unlocked, sometimes wide open to get the breeze.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 70 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,021 Topics
462,210 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day