Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33049 - 01/09/01 10:43 PM subjective advice for BZE
Big Frank Offline
Highly subjective and personally biased advice for Belize

On the mainland you can get + 3% on money exchange if you pay attention. $100 us = 206 BZE. This will be on the road or in a bar. Ask the bartender as a moneychanger will come by to see them. Of course, be careful. Travelers checks also bring a premium and while tricky to cash, in general are no problem. Of course vendors and sellers of small items will have trouble with big denominations.

Maya Beach on Placencia is isolated and the hotels are de facto all inclusives. I mean that getting to and fro is hard and the places are so nice you will want to stay. Prices were reasonable for meal and beverage.

Mangos is a world class barefoot beach bar: it ranks with Pusser’s on St John and the Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyke. Not quite up to Foxy’s—no yachts to daydream about. Say hi to Glenn, but DON’T buy him a drink—He needs no encouragement. The food is the deliciously simple fare you’ll dream about when you’re eating another gd Ramen noodle. There is a picture window there that frames my favorite daydream…10 minutes later, I’m back.

The best snorkeling I did was from the kayak off false key. the weather was prohibitive this trip—a little cold [Dec-Jan.] Any reasonably fit person could do this from Maya Beach or San Pedro.

For you dark beer drinkers, Belikin Stout is 6.5% alcohol and is an excellent choice as [I believe] it is regulated and is usually the same cost as the usual. High buzz factor. My favorite souveneir is a Belikin "condom" for $5Bze; It keeps the beer cold and marks it as mine. The Guinness stout is different from what we get in the states, sticky sweet, although most Garifuna love it.

The jungle is not designed to accommodate "big-boned" people like me. I realized this as my guide disappeared down a rabbit hole the size of dinner plate. Go anyway. Ditto for caves. Go anyway.

If you can get somewhere without driving use alternative means, as the roads are teeth-rattlers. Balance this against the benefits of local insight, color, and cost of busses. Found no reliable busses on Placencia, although I didn’t try real hard.

In this steamy tropical environment, the #1 travel item to bring is … Coolmax hi-tec underwear. One word—wicking. Nuf said. Oddly enough, #2 would be a sweatshirt or rain jacket. In December and January It was cold at night or on the water in general. Plus, don’t forget a good small flashlight. The new hi-tec ones are great* and the kind that can be a lamp is also great for ambient light or reading. A night light to plug in could be real helpful too, as long as the electricity works.

* get a "leash" as mine is now in the bottom of Blue Creek cave. Remember the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy"? I fantasize a doomsday cult of fish worshipping the fading beam.

It’s true that the Maya, the Garifuna, and the Mestizos are among the friendliest locals you will ever meet [The Ex-pats are cool too]. Sadly, the friendliest are often the ones who want to sell you drugs. Cuidado. My limited travel in Bze tells me that this is a safe tri; because of the isolation, even on the mainland it is an island mentality as there is nowhere to hide. Thieves don’t last long. Islanders look out for each other: I had two different people warn me off of a certain fellow who attached himself to me. A different time the police chief in Seine Bight sidled up to me to say, "John, He’s cool." Use normal travel radar and you’ll be fine.

The water taxi from Bze City can be cold, jarring and jam-packed. For two, including taxi from Municipal airport, the cost is $40 US[International is more $—both for taxi and flights]. From Muni to San Pedro, Tropic Air is $104 US for 2. Take the Airplane. Especially after a long day of travel.

Those fancy schmancy pens don’t work: they smear due to humidity and heat. A Plain old bic is best, or a mechanical pencil. If you want your postcards to come quickly, give them to someone you trust at the airport, and have them mail them—remember then, U.S. stamps.

A bicycle is the way to explore the island. The southern area was hit really hard by H Keith, especially where the trees were thinned and the mangroves cut. I felt anxious due to the destruction: palm tree tops gone, whole beach front lots gutted, some houses left askew. Look from the sea and you can see the octagonal house tilted. If you ride down there, don’t be still as mosquitos will bodily carry you away to eat later. The North side fared better and almost looks scrubbed clean—check out the plain just North the ferry. North of the ferry you can take a golf cart. I heard Journey’s End was still closed. I made it as far as the Palapa bar where I met the old Texan couple who own the dredging company. Although she broke her shoulder in the hurricane, it brought them a lot of business. South of the dump you can only take a bike.[Not too much to see south except the awesome destruction].
When possible self propelled is the best way to go. My partner was in a kayak and said, "Watch out for that rock—I mean Manatee!"

The more brown and black faces you see in the restaurant, the better value the food. While Elvi’s was great[I had the shrimp kabobs] and Sweet Basil is a first class place with a world class view, Papi’s near the ferry is a great value and you can keep your ear close to the ground.

Everybody has a hurricane story. It came up fast and went to class IV suddenly. Most [a lot?] of people did not get off the island. The ferry guy said, "I saw death’s face."

Leave the garish tee shirts at home. Especially the WWF smackdown variety. You’ll give us ugly Americans a bad name.

Go native early: Lose the shoes, forget the watch[try this one--it is Pavlovian]buy a local tee shirt, develop a morning routine, learn some names, have street meat for lunch, light a candle at the church…

Get off the beach or dock before the incredibly intense swarm of mosquitoes swoop at about 10 minutes past sundown. Otherwise bathe in DEET and smoke a rope as the smoke will keep them at bay. DEET and Belikin should both be applied as they vote in Chicago:liberally, early, and often. Bug damage is directly proportional to the amount of fragrance you apply. Cleanliness is highly overrated. For morning showers use no soap or shampoo. that way you’re clean but don’t smell like the buffet line at Bloodsuckers Corral. Scrub up at night for your honey if you like, but go au natural during the day. DEET is the only fragrance you should emit.

If you hear a drum, go towards it. Punta rock is infectious and a "Jump up" will follow. Take approximately 1 million tiny steps and dance like your back has no bone. More research is needed to figure out how hips are made to move like that. Please get back to me on that.

Be flexible—be in the moment and paying attention to cues. My inner voice was telling me to get on that empty plane to San Pedro instead of schlepping gear to the water taxi. Four hours and 1,000 jolts in the water later, I realized my mistake. When it started to rain on New Year’s Eve $15 Bze got us into the Lion’s Club for their party—Can’t get more local than that.

You are among the lucky few who have discovered the joy of Belize--Tread lightly, grasshopper.

#33050 - 01/10/01 02:21 AM Re: subjective advice for BZE
rickcheri Offline
that was beautiful!!

#33051 - 01/10/01 03:55 AM Re: subjective advice for BZE
CHOOCHOO Offline
BF,
Pretty damn good. Next time you're in AC (or Temptation) the deadly "blue drink" is on me.

CC

#33052 - 01/10/01 05:40 AM Re: subjective advice for BZE
OLDBLUE2 Offline
Nice commentary!

#33053 - 01/10/01 05:46 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
Scooter Offline
Big Frank thank you for the good advice about Belize, lot of chuckles..... Can't wait to hear that music and dance like a noodle.

#33054 - 01/10/01 06:37 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
matteoj Offline
i love all the advice! can't wait to go on monday!

please tell me what the "deadly blu drink" is, so i can order one

#33055 - 01/10/01 07:55 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
CHOOCHOO Offline
matteoj,

OK, just remember you asked for this...go to BC's (always a good start) and ask Ernie or Marcieo for one of choochoo's Blue Drinks. You'll have a great time. (How do you feel about feeling invisible?)

#33056 - 01/10/01 08:42 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
matteoj Offline
choochoo:
sounds perfect to me! that sounds like my first stop!
jen

#33057 - 01/10/01 10:54 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
ScubaLdy Offline
Big Frank -- Well written. I've passed it on to people in my group. However, I do like taking the boat to and from the island after soooo many hours sitting strapped into a little airplane seat. The bouncing, spraying, rain and all is part of the experience.
I have learned that we never tell stories about the things that went just as we had expected. Adventure stories are always about the unexpected and the near disastrous.
And, isn't cold relative?
Do you lie in Belize?

#33058 - 01/10/01 11:27 PM Re: subjective advice for BZE
Kate Offline
Where is Mangos located?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (CaptOneIron, 1 invisible), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.