Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
As a relative newcomer to AC, my pleasant surprises might be old hat to some of you, but I get a kick out of "didn't see that one coming" kind of things, stuff I didn't anticipate but find cool.

I'll start with number 2, as my number one isn't the best starter, but I'll get to it.

The way everyone seems to pitch in to keep the beach area clean of debris was a pleasant surprise. The ocean always brings stuff in yet the beaches are always pristine.

Anyone have pleasant surprises to share?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
S
S
I like the way the local people are so open eye contact and return the smile....

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I am pleasantly suprised that both in SP and Caye Caulker, in spite of the number of dogs running around, I never see any dog poop. People are good about picking it up.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Originally Posted by skippy
People are good about picking it up.

...I thought Belize dogs were trained to use the toilet.

W
W
The sense of community and how welcoming everyone is...you become less of a tourist and more like a temporary member of their community.

One of my best pleasant surprises was that I could find iced coffee in a can (a china town thing for me) at Hariri after about 2.5 years of going without.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

A lot of them really go out of their way for you, even when it seems like no big deal to them.

I'm so impressed by how people immediately band together to help people who are in desperate need. The blood drive for Annie, the fund to help off-set medical bills, the fund to place a head stone on a grave, etc.

Last edited by Gela; 03/30/09 01:47 PM.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
Gela, I couldn't agree more with your "pleasant surprise". The sense of community in SP is amazing. Everyone pulls together when there is someone in need or a worthy cause(i.e. fish grow on trees parade).

I also love the different community festivals (though I have to partake via Tacogirl's blog). Again, I feel this adds to the sense of community and I get to be part of it in a very real way.

It's great to be .....

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I am always amazed at how much information and skills are shared by the local captains and guides when I hire them for fishing or sailing. Every single one has gone way above and beyond what the job calls for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.