Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fronna3 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
My family has been planning a trip to Ambergris Caye, and we would like to know a few things before we really decide to go. Are the beaches good? What are the conditions of San Pedro? The whole island? What has changed? We went before there in '97. I have heard the reef didn't suffer any damage, is that true? What major things have been destroyed? I need to know soon. Thanks,
Courtney

Elvi's has been rebuilt, only a few downtown buildings other than residences needed rebuilding, other than roof damage...

reef had minor damage, everything will look the same to you downtown, a little newer...

most damage south and west, where most folks don't go so much, not as much there for the tourist, some homes...

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 01-09-2001).]

F
Fronna3 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
So all of the public beaches are fine, or at least most? How is Banana Beach? Would anyone recomend staying there? Our trip is planned for mid April, is there a chance things could have improved by then?

the island did well in cleanup efforts. things will look the same to you, unless you travel to the lagoon side, San Pedrito etc... it was a bad storm, though. we were there 3 wks. after, ya'll go and have a BLAST!!!Hey everybody, see u in April!!

B
B
I just got back and was impressed by the shape of the place; virtually everything was open and operating at 100%. Also the island is literally buzzing with rebuilding activity. People were hammering and sawing and cleaning and working. And I love work--I could watch it all day;-]

Some people say that H mitch did hurt the reef but I couldn't say

K
K
If you can wait a few weeks I will post an update at the end of the month. We visited AC 3 times before Keith (first went in '98), we were there during Keith (unfortunately), and now we are headed back on the 19th for the vacation we never got this fall. I should be able to give you an accurate picture of before/after. But based on what we've seen and heard, nothing is stopping us from going back!

We've been there 5 times this year, the most recent two weeks ago. The major difference is the lack of most of the larger palms. 20 footers+. From the water you can virtually count the surviors (and most of them have a fair amount of brown fronds).

The lagoon side is still pretty much a mess, but the resort area and the business "district" are in miraculous shape considering the duration of the storm. In most cases "if you didn't know, you wouldn't know". In our experience it would take many other small Caribbean isles years to do what the San Pedroans have done in a few short months.

The winds and the rain have been a bit "funny" since Keith, and the sand flies can be an aggravation (although less so as the months head to April). If you are really attacked by the critters take double tabs of vitamin B complex the week prior to going and it should take care of that.

Have fun.

CC

M
M
To Kate - is this the Kate and Doug Kate?? -
if so - Hey there H keith roomie!!
Gino and I are so jealous that you are going again so soon. Hoping to plan a trip with a group of friends in the spring, I'll let you know. Tell everyone at The Palms we say hi.
Have a fantastic time!!

M
M
I figured the areas "where most folks don't go so much" would still be a disaster. Poo Poo on San Pedro for slighting those that need relief the most. We rode out the storm in San Pedrito. After almost three weeks of no water or electricity (could see the lights on downtown, tho!) we left the caye. For good. Our best wishes for a happy new year to all.

San pedrito got hit awfully hard. Its gonna take a long time to recover there...

Not gonna get done in three weeks...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.