Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#330483 03/28/09 02:37 PM
S
SCgirl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I stayed on Caye Caulker in January and really enjoyed the island and the people. But I would never rent a place without a safe. I had heard that people will break in at night and rob you but I was sure that I would not be a victim. But after an enjoyable dinner and a few drinks I went back to the house and forgot to lock my purse in the safe. A little cash, traveler checks (dah), cell phone, watch on the kitchen counter. But they did have some sort of morals they returned the purse with my passport. I think the scarey part is that I was sleeping only 10 feet away from the purse. I had hoped to return but I just don't know..it creeped me out. I hope the island police take control of this situation.

P
P
Years of staying youth hostels or in the wild taught me how to look after my valuables. I would wrap them in a very rustly cellophane bag and hide that near me so that to reach it anyone would have to reach over me. On one occasion I was woken by the cellophane rustling but never saw who had tried to take it. When mountain biking in remote areas I locked a cable to my bicycle and took the other end into the tent and under me, so that I would be woken if the cable was pulled. Later I added a bear bell to the cable. Never lost the bicycle.

Originally Posted by SCgirl
they returned the purse with my passport.
Thank God for the honest thieves on Caye Caulker!

Live and let live
Originally Posted by Short
Originally Posted by SCgirl
they returned the purse with my passport.
Thank God for the honest thieves on Caye Caulker!

EXCUSE ME!, WHAT DID YOU SAY SHORT ?????????

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
SCgirl Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That's nice but most adults don't expect to pay $400-$500 a week and sleep with one eye open watching their valuables. Its a sad day when we must vacation in homes with bars on the windows and safes for ALL our valuables.

sorry...but u take that risk anywhere u go...whether it be a vacation, or to work...someone can break in....chit happens! just my opinion

P
P
I stayed in a 5* hotel in Denmark on business once, and my room was robbed during the night. My wallet, laptop, car keys and indeed car all went. It can happen anywhere.

S
S
This also happened to us in Caye Caulker on the one overnight we stayed there (after yrs and yrs of hotel stays in Jamaca, Rio, Thailand, etc) stealing our camera and phones. Makes one wonder if hotel employees are involved somehow.

I have heard similar experiences from others. Bottom line is that the hotels should be more proactive and install locks that prevent entering (chain or something) - it is creepy to be robbed this way, leaves a bad taste in your mouth and makes your fun trip to an adorable caribbean island not so much fun.

In the USA a bunch of stores (Cost Cutters, Harbor Freight, Bed Bath & Beyond to name a few), All sell cheap "Stick-on" battery operated magnetic alarms that can be put on windows and doors and produce an ear piersing sound when activated eek. They also come with an on/off switch.

It may be well worth it to bring a few on Vacation with you and just leave them when you depart or take them and get some double face tape for the next time.

Someone sneeking into a window and hears a loud alarm going off will not stick around very long. blush

D
D
Mostly they walk in your door left unlocked, sometimes wide open to get the breeze.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day