Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#332599 - 04/11/09 04:23 AM so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed???
sailfish Offline
Im confused about this topic. Ragman, so if a yacht is disabled and needs to drop anchor should he somehow drift off the reef ad anchor in 300 ft of water? I dont really get where some of these people are coming from. I was fishing a couple of weeks ago just outside the reef in 300 ft of water. One cant anchor in 300 ft of water can they??

#332605 - 04/11/09 01:14 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: sailfish]
bywarren Offline
Yes, you all read how it was reported and the captain maligned on this message board. Now given that all the facts are not known, and just for the fun of spinning this, here is how I would envision this could have been reported in the Mexican media if told thru the eyes of the captain. You know, the two sides to every story, HA. grin

Mega yacht with affluent Mexican nationals prevents catastrophic disaster and enjoys Easter Holiday in Belize returning to tell friends of the wonderful experiences to be had in their neighboring country to the south.
The yacht Azteca, while en route to San Pedro had itís props entangled by a rope carelessly left by a Belizean fisherman. Thanks to quick action by itís captain, after losing power and being blown by the northeasterly winds toward the reef, it dropped anchor preventing it from ending up on top of the reef causing enormous damage to both the reef and the yatch.
The captain was welcomed to Belize by Tour Guide President Billy Leslie who congratulated him on his expert seaman ship in lessening the damage to the reef by acting as a competent sailor does by anchoring and stopping the boat before it ends up on the reef.
Belize authorities are continuing their investigation trying to find the Belize fisherman who is responsible for this near catastrophe.
smile

Edited by bywarren (04/11/09 01:26 PM)

#332615 - 04/11/09 02:48 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: bywarren]
Moose In Belize Offline
BY, great supposition. Are you proposing that BTB pay a reward to the captain for his heroic deeds? wink

#332616 - 04/11/09 02:53 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: Moose In Belize]
bywarren Offline
No, but I wonder how much it would cost BTB in advertising and promotion to attract tourists like that to vaction in Belize.
Not that it appears they put much credence in "word of mouth". wink

Edited by bywarren (04/11/09 03:08 PM)

#332619 - 04/11/09 03:05 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: bywarren]
bywarren Offline
Putting aside my sarcasm, why treat the guy like he is a criminal before getting all the facts. How much sense does it make to assume the captain would purposely endanger his boss's multi-million dollar yacth and ruin his guests vacation? Sure and accident happened and damage was done to the reef, but why not lesson the consequences and arrange for reperations while understanding the plight of the captain and guests, assuming it was an accident.
I thought Belize tries to be known as a country of friendly people.

Edited by bywarren (04/11/09 03:07 PM)

#332624 - 04/11/09 03:34 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: bywarren]
SP Daily Offline
Belize is a country of friendly people. Most all the haters on this subject are Norteamericanos.

#332627 - 04/11/09 03:59 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: sailfish]
ragman Offline
sailfish, No, of course you can not normally anchor in 300' of water. I have no knowledge of the water depth outside the reef where he was located but hope to get first hand information in a few more months. This information would come out in an inquiry when he explained his actions and all the data was lying on the table so to speak. Weather, sea conditions, depth of water, time of day, everything.

My first concern had I been the captain would have been the possibility of injury or death in transferring passengers to rescue craft while pounding on the reef. With this in mind I would have really wanted to stay off that reef. But in the final analysis, I wasn't there and have little knowledge of the conditions.

#332657 - 04/11/09 11:30 PM Re: so.....why is the yacht on reef topic closed??? [Re: ragman]
Moose In Belize Offline
When all is said and done, the captain may have been negligent by getting so close to the reef, but certainly didn't intentionally damage the reef by dropping anchor, and most likely mitigated more substantial damage by taking the actions he took, not unlike the pilot who landed in the Hudson River and gained great praise.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.