Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#330407 03/27/09 04:29 PM
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Do it for the children.

Can you imagine what the carbon monoxide level must be in the blood of the children who live, play and go to school in downtown San Pedro?

When you need to replace your old gas cart, please buy an electric cart.

With time and a conscious effort, the replacement of all the gas carts with electric carts will clean the air, greatly reduce the noise, and make Ambergris Caye an even greater place to live and visit.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
like it used to be?

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
No idea what you mean.

Anyway, the way to make the most profound positive impact and really go green, and not just mouth the platitude, is to switch to an electric golf cart when you need a new one. I just came back and while I was there I rode a bike from way south up to the bridge, to see for myself if an electric cart can go that far. Obviously it could, several times between charges.

But I also concluded that all those people on their loud, smelly gas guzzlers will never do it. And they may even claim to be environmentalists while refusing to give up their gas cart. That they "go green" by doing something that makes an infinitesimal impact, in between taking their gas cart 2 blocks to the store.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Actually the gas carts are not so "green" Battery manufacturers are some of the worst polluters in the entire world, and what happens to all of those old batteries? All of the heavy metals from the batteries are some of the worst polluting agents. And what produces all the electricity to charge these batteries?

S
S
The batteries here on Ambergris Caye are collected by the Town Council, and shipped to Ronco Battery Company in Belize City where they are rebuilt.
The electrical energy to recharge golf cart batteries comes from the Belize Grid which gets power from a combination of hydro power and Mexican power system which is natural gas powered.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
dabunk, you would argue that emissions from the gas carts and their noise are equivalent to or better than recycling and charging batteries?

This issue is important because it comes down to a personal choice. The goal, of getting where you want to go without walking, is achieved with either type of cart.

Again, I don't see people giving up their gas carts. But I think it is important to point out that the green alternative is available when cart replacement time arrives.

I will not argue that batt carts are more efficient but to call them "green" is a big stretch.

S
S
How about "Light Green"?

S
S
hydrogen generators.......add water and go ....the cost of re-valving and re-ringing per year ...should be well under the cost of gassoline ! and the enviroment,,sighs with relief....!!

Light green is a great name.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.