Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#332765 - 04/13/09 03:53 PM To Blue Hole or Not?
copywronger Offline
Hey all!

So-- like a lot of other people, I found an amazing airfare to BZE and Im coming in for a long weekend at the very end of April/early May.

Im coming alone, mainly to do some diving. Im kind of a newbie only have about 5 dives logged.

So, to some of you seasoned divers who really know the reef system/atolls near Ambergris should I bother with the Blue Hole?

At my level, am I better off doing some other dives, and save the Blue Hole for next time?

Would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks!!

#332783 - 04/13/09 05:06 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: copywronger]
2Aggies Offline
IMHO - since you are a "newbie" you can get a mindblowing number of dives right there on the reef at varying depths without the rather long ride out to the hole. The reef is sooo convenient and if you use the same dive master they will make sure you go somewhere different every dive. We did 9 dives in 5 days on AC for the first time last Sept/Oct and loved it so much we are going back this June for even longer. You get in 2 dives with surface time before noon and have the entire rest of the day to goof off, drink or lay around the pool.

A warning though - after diving the reef there, you will be disappointed in a lot of other dives sites! I've been diving since 1978 and it is some of the best anywhere.

#332819 - 04/13/09 07:30 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: 2Aggies]
ScubaLdy Offline
Dear Copy
You have several things going against you for a Blue Hole dive.
1. The amount of time you will be here. The Blue Hole Trip is from early in the morning until sunset and you will be too exhausted to do anything that night.
2. You do not have your own experienced dive buddy. I have taken a couple of guest who were recently certified ONLY when there were two of us experienced buddies to watch; one lead the way the other followed.
3. There are just so many wonderful dives here on the reef that you will add to your dive history. You can actually do three dives a day; two morning and one afternoon. And, you should try to get in at least one night dive.

Every diver was new once and we do understand the excitement you are experiencing. Just go slow there is a lot to see and believe me you will be back.

#332901 - 04/14/09 05:17 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: ScubaLdy]
jilco Offline
Agreed. Do the local dives on this short trip and save the hole for later and bring (or meet) a partner to share the experience with.

#332912 - 04/14/09 06:18 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: jilco]
Peter Jones Offline
Are you the person who posted a similar question on Scubaboard? If not, see my response there, which is much what others have written above.

#332994 - 04/15/09 12:24 AM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: Peter Jones]
Freezer Offline
Ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.

The blue hole is wonderful but not so much for a relatively inexperienced diver.

#333001 - 04/15/09 01:41 AM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: Freezer]
ScubaLdy Offline
In 2003 a couple who had just finished their certification and had done about five days of diving the reef went out to the Blue Hole on the same trip with me and my buddy. At one point the woman decided to swim down and see the pretty sharks at the bottom. He husband realized what she was doing and caught her at about 200'.

#333015 - 04/15/09 02:53 AM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: ScubaLdy]
seashell Offline
I'm a big Blue Hole fan, however, I stand with the others. I believe it is not for novice divers.

If you had told me that you had 50 dives (within a year or so) and were going to be diving a minimum of 2 dives a day for the week and that some of those dives would be deeper than 80' . . *before* going to the Blue Hole, then I'd have encouraged you to go.

For clarity, I stand with the others here and recommend that you do not go to the Blue Hole this trip. You may hear differently, once you are on the island, but please try and resist the sales job. For the time and money, you just aren't ready to enjoy it as it should be enjoyed, and flatly, you don't have the diving experience to ensure that you will make this dive safely.

#333089 - 04/15/09 01:08 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: seashell]
pugwash Offline
Not only dont bother with Blue Hole, but I would suggest that you make one of your dives at Hol Chan.

Even though this is only a 10-25 ft dive, you will see more marine life there than anywhere else ....and it takes a little more co ordination to hover at 15' than at 80', so you will have to work on buoyancy control, which is a good exercise.

Also remember no dives for 24 hours before you flight home (from BZE that is, the San Pedro -BZE flight is all below 1500 feet)

Enjoy

#333211 - 04/15/09 08:14 PM Re: To Blue Hole or Not? [Re: pugwash]
Peter Jones Offline
Just a word of caution. Although the risk from flying in a puddle jumper is massively less than from an airliner it isn't nil. For people who are especially predisposed towards decompression sickness that flight can still be potentially hazardous. Minimal alcohol and lots of water in the 24 hours before the flight are the best precautionary measures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,058 Topics
462,302 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.