Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#332690 04/12/09 10:15 AM
M
mik Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Lamanai tours from San Pedro are to expensive for us and the grandkids, is there a way to water taxi to the main land and then go by yourself and hike somewhere cool to see wildlife. The kids would love to see monkeys and still beable to catch the boat back to the island the same day. I don't want to go to the zoo, we can do that here in Minnesota. Any suggestions. Thank you. Mik

mik #332692 04/12/09 10:39 AM
What time is your flight home?

If its mid-late afternoon, consider catching an early water taxi, and then picking up a Belize Cruiseship Taxi Association guide for a little "in-country excursion" before heading to the airport?

It's going to cost you $25us for a cab anyway, so kick in a few dollars more and take a 3-4 hour detour!

Emmanuel Williams, 501 601 9261 or [email protected] would be one alternative, although I've never used him other than as a Taxi Driver, and just had his card in my Belize stack..

If you decide to try this route, be sure to leave a set of clean "dry" clothes handy to put on prior to boarding the plane, as the jungle does get humid!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
pugwash #332694 04/12/09 11:03 AM
P
P
Take early morning water taxi to Belize City and rent a car for the day and drive to Lamanai. But you are so wrong about the zoo. It is not your US zoo and you get up close and personal to the animals. You can then take 5:30 flight back.

pamkillen #332702 04/12/09 02:56 PM
actually the Minnesota zoo is quite impressive. The zoo here you don't get much closer to the animals than in MN but we've got some neat animals you likely won't find in many US zoos.

C
C
I have been to several zoos in the US, and the Belize Zoo was still a great visit. We did the zoo first and then the cave tubing trip and had a great day.

Chuck V #332869 04/14/09 06:48 AM
Belize Zoo is really great - because of what it is - a haven for individual animals who cannot live elsewhere due to being orphaned, injured, adopted & abandoned or because of habitat destruction. It's a farm for these guys to keep them safe, and to educate the rest of us. It has heart and soul and some incredible animals. Best to visit early in the day when the animals are more active. By mid-day the big ones tend to take a nap. Have also noticed that on cloudy days the animals stay active a little later in the day. Regardless of this detail, go to the Zoo!!

Just FYI, you do know that Searious Adventures charges half price for kids 11 and under. In case your grandkids are below that age. It is the only way I could afford to go with my daughter. I did 4 trips with them while I was there and she was always half price even though she was 12, I let them know she was 12 and they still gave me the deal. Veeeeery nice. :-)

Andry
Andry #332988 04/14/09 06:06 PM
F
F
One way to do it is take the water taxi in in the morning and check with the cab drivers at the terminal and simply ask them if they can fulfill your requirments. Or fly in to the muni and check with the cab drivers there (I would recomend Damian). They will give you an excellent day rate and some (be carefull to be very descriptive of what you want) will be able to oblige. I also agree that it would be a mistake to miss the zoo! It is quite...different??? Although, in all honesty I have not been for 5 years. I think it is about time I did!!!!!

Freezer #333124 04/15/09 10:14 AM
Take the earliest water taxi and hire a car or taxi to go to the Baboon Sanctuary. Pretty close to Bz City and interesting, lots of howler monkeys and other wildlife & nature trails. You can stop by the zoo or Monkey Bay Wildlife Sanctuary on the way or way back if you like. Otherwise, Jaguar Paw resort (at about mile 34 just past the zoo) has lots of wildlife on site and you could do the cave tubing trip while you are there. Rental car will run you about $70-85 for the day + fuel. Taxi will be more. I recommend Errol Flowers for a great taxi/tour guide based in Bz City (011-501)-627-1279. You could also take a public bus from Bz City for the least expense, but pretty much only to the zoo & Monkey Bay in your short time frame.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.