Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
One of my only options for a return flight from BZE to Denver next month involves a US Airways flight from BZE to Charlotte NC with only a 50-minute layover.

Has anyone been through the Charlotte airport, and if so, do you think I can clear customs and make my connecting flight at that airport? If my bags don't make it, that's cool, I just want to be on that next plane to Denver.

The connection occurs between 5 and 6pm.

There's no way this works in Miami. But maybe Charlotte is smaller, better organized?

Thanks in advance!

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
It wouldn't work for Houston either. I would call that very very close.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking of leaving some stuff here and just doing a carry on back so I don't have to collect my luggage and recheck it. Might shave a few minutes off. But some knowledge of the Charlotte airport/customs/security setup is really needed.

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
Sweetjane went through Charlotte coming back from AC in March. She said it was much less hectic than Miami but she still couldn't recommend trying to do it in less than an hour. You might want to PM her for more info.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
sorry, my browser flipped out. KC, as my attorney, has approval to speak for me in my absence. laugh ok:

yes, i said that. CLT is a breeze - we flew through immigration, customs & TSA quickly. it is easy to get around in and has long been our fave hub.

BUT 50 minutes isn't much time - esp when they start boarding like 25 minutes b4 flight time. we flew a weekday at odd times, so i can't guarantee it is like that 100% of the time.

so while it may be doable, i cant recommend you try it - it sure is cutting it close. if your inbound flight is even 10 minutes delayed, you miss the connection.

as always, JMO. good luck!!!

ok, now reading about with carry-on only - i would SURELY wait for a second opinion besides mine, but barring flight/weather delays, yes, i think you could make it.

we had 1.5 hours, and had time for a cigarette outside, a beer inside, and rechecking our bags.

skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, sweetjane. Lots of good info, and advice. Think I'll give it a shot. Sounds like if it's doable at any airport, it might be here. Used to go to the Bahamas a lot, and West Palm Beach was the same way, quick, easy, smaller.

We fly into Charlotte as it is our home base airport, and we are usually in the car within an hour of landing. Very easy to get around, but it's the distance between the gates..It would be hard pressed to make it in 50 minutes, from landing to take-off. Cutting it too close, I'd say.

Last edited by sunandsand; 04/16/09 07:51 PM.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
skippy Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the heads up. I just don't know if I should chance it or not now.

Seems odd that US Airways would offer this without realizing the time frame is so short since it involves clearing customs.

The connecting flight is theirs also. You would think they would know someone was coming and wait. Yeah, right.

N
N
We used CLT end of Feb. It took them 30 minutes to get our luggage to the pick up area. Immigration wasn't too bad about 15 minutes then customs then drop off bags then TSA. If you can use the TSA closer to the 'A' concourse you may get through faster. At 'C' and 'B' they were very busy and slow. Not as bad as Houston though....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.