Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
There has been a growing concern by residents of northern Ambergris Caye due to a dredging machine that is situated some 8.5 miles north of San Pedro Town. It is a concern because according to the Ministry of Environment, dredging should not be allowed on the reef side of the island, however, all indications are that dredging is about to start in the San Andres Subdivision Area of the island.
The Deputy Director and Inspector of Mines in the Department of Geology and Petroleum, Craig Moore, confirmed that the permission to dredge is pending. The dredging machine sits in front of George Alamilla's property located north of Belize Legacy Resort. According to Moore, the applicant seeks to dredge an access channel leading to the property, lot number 6, next to a proposed pier alignment.

Moore went on to explain that the green light for the dredging is pending a recommendation from either the San Pedro Town Council or the Area Representative. In speaking with The San Pedro Sun, Area Representative Honorable Manuel Heredia stated that because it is not a huge project, he had left the Town Council to follow up, specifically both councilors Justinano "Nano" Guerrero and Severo Guerrero. During a telephone interview, Councilor Severo Guerrero commented that there is no dredging taking place. "There should be no dredging," stated Guerrero, "we are reviewing the application and looking at a number of things before we give a recommendation."

According to Guerrero, the dredging application is for an area of seabed consisting of 75 feet by 25 feet with a depth of two feet. The main issue with the dredging application is the proximity of proposed dredging area to Mexico Rocks, a popular dive and snorkeling site in Ambergris Caye.

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 04/17/09 11:30 AM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
OP Offline
According to google earth the reef is no more than 0.5 mile from the land in this area.

How far is South Beach from the reef?

I noticed that none of the above quoted officials went so far as to say that dredging would NOT be allowed on this project.

Who is the developer of this project?

Are they "well connected"?

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 04/17/09 11:07 AM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
FOR MONEY YOU GET HONEY.......WHERE IS THIS ALL GOING???????????????

Living The Dream Every Day!
OP Offline
HELLLLLOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

Dredging really close to the reef. This doesn't interest any other boarders???????????

Wait a minute..............I know how to get this topic started.

I think that a guy I thought I knew once before who thought he knew me but didn't said that another guy he thought he once knew but didn't said that he thought the north end dredging was being done in order to supply sand to SOUTH BEACH!

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 04/17/09 07:58 PM.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
E
E
Take a break, Tommy

OP Offline

Seriously Ernie B, why is this issue getting little attention?

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
E
E
Tommy, its already been stated. $$$$$

OP Offline

OK..................... break starting.

Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
i'm sure e & cappy are right - but to directly answer your question, tommy, i got wind of this a few days ago. i, personally, kept mum because i don't know any details, and didn't want to speak out of ignorance.

for what it's worth, it certainly doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

remember what seashell said about killing the golden goose, the direction the GOB is letting AC take, and how those of us who are long time visitors are not referring people to come there so much anymore.

when i saw elbert's photo of the dredger, i promptly signed up to join the ACCSD.

T
T
Sounds like I should join.Is there a way someone could post a link or e-mail to join.This would be a good time to get membership for the ACCSD,it is all about #'s!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.