Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#335127 - 04/29/09 06:10 PM Correct way to source news articles - help please?
collyk Offline
I put up part of a news article today and listed the source for those who wanted to read the full article. One of the administrators edited my post, copied the article onto my post in its entirety and then deleted the source.

Is there a guideline available as to how we can post news articles? Unless I write something myself, I've always thought it appropriate to, at the very least, credit the source.

It would also help if administrators could contact those of us who they feel that they need to edit to explain what we have done wrong and how we can avoid doing it again in future.

Thanks.

#335136 - 04/29/09 07:24 PM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: collyk]
Otteralum Offline
Don't know the "correct" way to cite, but I'm with you as far as what is appropriate.

#335189 - 04/30/09 01:43 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: Otteralum]
collyk Offline
Any admins? Any answers please?

#335191 - 04/30/09 01:46 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: collyk]
SP Daily Offline
Been away...don't know what this is about..

#335199 - 04/30/09 02:40 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: SP Daily]
collyk Offline
Hi Jesse,

Pretty straightforward. I put up a few paras of an article about the Azteca with a link to the rest of the article. I only did this because on other message boards, the policy tends to be not to copy and paste articles in full, but just to give a taster and give readers the opportunity to follow a link if they wish to read the rest of the article. An admin pasted the article in full, which is fine although I'm not sure why, but then they deleted the link completely so there was no source listed. It sort of ended up looking like I was claiming authorship.

I'm just curious if I made some sort of awful faux pas as I was given no notification of the edit or explanation, which I would have considered common courtesy and also extremely helpful in preventing me from making a similar error in future.

I'm just curious as to what exactly was wrong with the way I posted the article and cited the link so that I can do it properly in future and save you hard working admins from having to do any more work than you already have to.

Thanks.

#335200 - 04/30/09 02:44 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: collyk]
SimonB Offline
Collyk you need to clear out your PM's. You're over your limit.

#335201 - 04/30/09 02:51 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: collyk]
pugwash Offline
Hi Collette smile

Did I get that right?

I'm an admin and I get edited too, so who knows laugh

I have usually tried to use italics if I cite part of an article or letter, and give a credit to the author or originator for direct quotes.

#335202 - 04/30/09 02:55 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: pugwash]
collyk Offline
pugwash, you are a gentleman indeed. Almost. One 'l' too many.

Thank you for your attention to this and suggestions. I shall follow your protocol in future.

I still think it would be common courtesy that if someone feels that they need to edit a post that they could at least let the person know that they have done so and why. If for no other reason but to save themselves time in future. But maybe that is just too much to ask.

#335205 - 04/30/09 03:17 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: collyk]
pugwash Offline
Well then change it to "Colyk" damn it !

If you are in search of common courtesy , I fear you may be in the wrong place smile

Its not often a beautiful woman thanks me for my attention, let alone follows my suggestions, but I think I'll quit while I'm ahead, as between Jane and Maya, I see an ass kicking on the horizon frown

#335212 - 04/30/09 04:10 AM Re: Correct way to source news articles - help please? [Re: pugwash]
belizeonthebeach Offline
There is no info of any admin doing anything related to this post or any post recently.
If someone deleted something it had to the creator of the post in question.
That just the way it is--kinda boring actaully--looking for a bad deed doer and foiled again.
dratt!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (wiley), 51 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.