Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#335238 - 04/30/09 09:11 AM First time to Belize-Questions
water Offline
I have a few questions around the island. It seems every picture you see, no one is swimming. I do not mind sea grass, but have read that bull sharks frequest the area, but I would think that the reef would stop them from coming inland. I am not paraniod, so please do not take it this way, but am curious as to the sightings off shore, if any. Can any verify or dismiss this? As well, what times ar the toll across the bridge to the North open and how much, as we are staying to the north, and would appreciate any info. Thanks.

#335248 - 04/30/09 10:04 AM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: water]
collyk Offline
I absolutely love swimming in the sea here. Yesterday I was out swimming with one of my dogs for two hours. We swim off the beach in some areas and off the docks in the more shallow places. Yes there are sharks in the sea. Sharks live in the sea as do a whole bunch of animals that can bite you, sting you and make your life uncomfortable. Humans live on the land. I know which ones I worry about more. While swimming, I have been lucky enough to see rays, eels, dolphins, turtles and a whole range of amazing sea life.

The water is warm, very salty, which aids bouyancy, clear and just like being in a spa. I enjoyed my swim yesterday so much that I dreamed last night that I had floated all the way to Caye Caulker surrounded by dolphins. That was one lovely dream.
Belize Wedding Photography

#335249 - 04/30/09 10:07 AM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: collyk]
colomojo Offline
I bet that was a lovely dream - I can't wait to be back.
Live Laugh Love

#335253 - 04/30/09 10:35 AM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: colomojo]
elbert Offline
The bridge doesnt close but an even better way to commute to town and back is the Island Ferry. It runs every other hour and seems to be the best/easiest way.You can catch it on almost every dock.
Bull Sharks....in 25years of diving and snorkeling here I've seen about 6 or 7, not a realistic concern.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#335264 - 04/30/09 11:12 AM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: elbert]
water Offline
Thaks for the info, like I said I am not "freaking out", only curious, as I have 2 daughters and we all swim like fish, so most of our time when not diving/snorkling, will be off the dock snorkling locally and swimming.

#335265 - 04/30/09 11:15 AM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: elbert]
water Offline
As for the bridge, I meant the toll fee, as I want to know if they have hours they take the toll, and then others they do not, say 11pm. As for the Island Ferry, I have another question. We are staying at Casa Bonita, and I beleive it only a mile form town, so would recommend a golf cart or just ferry in when we need groceries/liquor? I would hate to rent a golf cart, and find out that the toll on the bridge is the same as taking the fery for the amount of time we will be in town. Any info/comments would be appreciated.

#335293 - 04/30/09 02:36 PM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: water]
sweetjane Offline
the toll is $5 US round trip (they give u a ticket to return if pre-paid). in general, no one is at the booth from around 10PM to 6AM - and one may pass for free.

i THINK (not sure) the ferry is $8US PER PERSON. a golf cart should run you about $35/day. you can also rent bikes.

walking is free.

guys - is this still accurate info??

for one mile north of the bridge, (in my opinion) i would get the cart.

we always rent golf cart, cuz it gives us freedom to go where ever whenever. plus, you can explore the island - which is fun.

again, just my opinion.

#335294 - 04/30/09 02:36 PM Re: First time to Belize-Questions [Re: water]
Moose In Belize Offline
The bridge is free for walkers. Save the environment and walk.
Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,226 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.