Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thats my point, if they can't use the bridge, then they have to barge it down and his argument for having this quarry is Quote, "We feel that this is important because presently all the gravel is brought in from Belize City through the inner reef. And I think it's hurting the inner reef coral along the way when it comes in here.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
P
P
I think it's target market is to supply projects at the Mid to Northern part of the Caye where there is the least development - and so the higest potential - but the highest materials acquisition costs.

R
R
That would make more sense and when I first read the article this morning that is what I assumed. Not that I'm crazy about the idea. I'm not looking forward to the change which is probably inevitable whether they have this gravel operation or not.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
J
JMR Offline
J
Phil, I think you are right. That was clearly stated in the interview that the material will be used for development on the north end. This could even make sense.

Fidel Ancona, Manager, North Island Development Company Ltd.
"We have a lease for 50 acres of land. And we are going to extract rock, limestone to create gravel for the future development of the north end. We feel that this is important because presently all the gravel is brought in from Belize City through the inner reef. And I think it's hurting the inner reef coral along the way when it comes in here. Having the quarry here is practical, it's going to help facilitate the development of the area in the future, and I think it will help protect the environment because we are doing it right here."

But if he is intending to supply only the North island, why does he need this? "he will also need the Ministry of Works to build the road of access from the north end to San Pedro Town."

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
I'm reiterating, There is nothing that can be quarried on the island that is a substitute for the sand and gravel being brought in by barge from Belize. Its just something said to make the project proposal have a better chance of getting approved.
I think false facts like that are locally termed as 'Bull Shit'.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
If what he is able to quarry has no value, then why would he do it?
Has he addressed in his application the water table issue?
Also, it is my understanding that this project has 3 or 4 phases and in oder to be approved for the next phase, he must have shown restoration of the previous area. I am not saying this to support this project at all because I don't really get why he is doing it.

Could someone with accurate knowledge please add this proposed quarry site on Wikimapia. Thanks.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=17923454&x=-87961049&z=15&l=0&m=a&v=2

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
P
P
Aren't thet looking to quarry limestone which will be crushed into the small stones (marl?)used in concrete and also for road beds. No sand and no cement.

Cement isn't quarried, what I'm saying is the chemistry of the elements coming from the quarry can't be used with cement for construction it falls apart. Thats why for so many years the sand and gravel have been brought in by boat. The calcium carbonate and lime coming from the quarry would only be good to put down as a road bed and drive on, it wont stick together for building materiel.The stuff we see here on the island is calcium carbonate not sand and the rocks are an ancient sea bed materiel from the late Paleozoic period, doesn't bond well with cement. The persons wanting to quarry here know this.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.