Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#336638 - 05/11/09 12:04 PM Diving
JLG Offline
Can anyone tell me if the diving around Ambergris Caye is all drift diving, also do the dive masters make you come up as a group or stay down till you get to 500lb i will be diving with Patojo's Scuba Center.
Fish On...

#336646 - 05/11/09 01:38 PM Re: Diving [Re: JLG]
elbert Offline
I would try emailing Patojo's and ask that question if your diving with them.
Drift diving off Ambergris isn't necessary because of currents however most operators do drift in order to cover more territory and not return to the boat.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#336652 - 05/11/09 02:44 PM Re: Diving [Re: elbert]
Dawghed Offline
My experience: I have never encountered a strong current on the reefs around AC. Diving is like Elbert described. Divers are kept in a group, the dive boat follows the bubbles, divers ascend in a group. If a diver runs out of air early, that diver and buddy will ascend before the rest of the group. The DM may or may not help with that ascent depending on the divers abilities. We have always used Amigos Del Mar. We have never felt like we came up too soon. On the contrary, at the end of the day our computers are usually very close to the NDL. My wife and I are slow breathers so air is not our limiting factor.

#336654 - 05/11/09 03:36 PM Re: Diving [Re: Dawghed]
JLG Offline
We do most of our diving in Cozumel were most of the time there is a light current and the boat will follow you. some days the current gets going pretty good and the visibility gets bad, is this common in Ambergris Caye also.
Fish On...

#336656 - 05/11/09 03:58 PM Re: Diving [Re: JLG]
elbert Offline
No, Cozumel is close but a different world.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#336657 - 05/11/09 04:02 PM Re: Diving [Re: JLG]
Peter Jones Offline
I've been diving with Patojo's this last week, and they're pretty relaxed about dive practices once they know they can trust you. It's common for divers running low on air to surface ahead of the rest of the group, and so long as there are at least two people on the surface it doesn't matter whether they're dive buddies.

Outside the reef we rarely have much current, and never to an extent that would make you allow for it, other than in the direction you dive. Inside Hol Chan it can be very different.

We have had moderately poor visibility and a lot of surge lately, certainly in the past week. The surge was unusual in that it rarely changed with depth. But the diving was still good.

#336670 - 05/11/09 06:21 PM Re: Diving [Re: Peter Jones]
suecate Offline
We have had the same experiance with Patojo. I can stay longer than my husband and he will go up before me. Usually my daughter will surface with him, if not he or one of the other DM's go up with a solo diver. I feel very safe and comfortable with he and his team and I am a nervous diver.

Edited by suecate (05/11/09 06:22 PM)

#336679 - 05/11/09 07:01 PM Re: Diving [Re: suecate]
JLG Offline
My wife is a very good diver and is always nervous when we dive with a new company untill she gets to know the DM and crew of the boat. Sounds like we made a good chose everyone seems to like Potojo's.
Fish On...

#336712 - 05/11/09 11:13 PM Re: Diving [Re: JLG]
suecate Offline
they have held my hand when i first started.

#336713 - 05/11/09 11:19 PM Re: Diving [Re: suecate]
divingcowgirl Offline
All I know is that the diving around AC is great!
Take the road less traveled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,687 Topics
461,187 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.