Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#336810 - 05/12/09 07:41 PM Grocery shopping
scottmcd Offline
I have question.

Is using a shopping service a good deal or not. how easy is it to find what you want in town.

is Lagniappe Provisioning a good deal. or do they mark up the prices to much? we dont mind shopping in town just trying to make sure that we do it right.
thanks
Scott

#336813 - 05/12/09 08:02 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: scottmcd]
JZB Offline
Shopping can be a royal pain in the butt. You will sometimes have to visit a few stores to find a certain item or You find an item at one store for $10 and the exact same item at another store for $20. Then you bring it home to find it is either expired or now home to a giant family of weavils (sp?).

Unless you get a joy out of spending the day grocery shopping in 90 degree heat on your vacation, Call Lagniappe!

I live here and know which store is what but I am still tempted to call Simon/Lagniappe sometimes!

Just my 2 cents, of course.

#336822 - 05/12/09 08:48 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: JZB]
AlaskaMan Offline
We used Lagniappe. However, I found a few things were odd. We could not get potatoes through them. They said something about the Belizean Govt and the Mennonites had disrupted the market concerning potatoes. Also, I would not recommend getting steaks. I had them deliver a few T-Bones and it was bar none some of the worst beef I have ever tasted. Beyond that everything else was great. Keep in mind, the above is not a knock on Lagniappe, it is just what we experienced.

And don't forget to get your hands on fresh fruit while there..the pineapple was awesome.

#336824 - 05/12/09 08:56 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: AlaskaMan]
JZB Offline
One week its potatos, the next its cheese, the next it could be eggs. Its all part of the joy of shopping here!! smile

Belize beef is definately not very tasty. Stick with pork, chicken, fish and shrimp.

#336825 - 05/12/09 08:57 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: JZB]
dabunk Offline
Eat your shoes, they are much tastier than the beef!

#336835 - 05/12/09 09:29 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: dabunk]
Moose In Belize Offline
Budget what you plan to spend on groceries, then double it.

#336842 - 05/12/09 09:48 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: Moose In Belize]
Gela Offline
I've used Langiappe several times and appreciate the idea of having the refrigerator already stocked with what I purchased before I arrive. If they can't find what I've ordered, they will let me know and refund that portion on my credit card. One time Simon forgot my bagels. I called him and he dropped them by immediately. It gave me the opportunity to meet him in person. Ever since then, I run into him everywhere when visiting AC. smile

#336843 - 05/12/09 09:50 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: Moose In Belize]
2MILESNORTHOFCUT Offline
We use Lagniappe Provisioning during our Many trips to Ambergris each year (and we KNOW where the good stores are).
We have found his service to be Spot On every time.
If Simon can't find it (Fresh), he will not deliver "stale" to you.
It's worth the $$ to save the time and agravation it takes to deal with shopping in San Pedro while on vacation.

I always look forward to finding those COLD Belikin beers in the fridge when we arrive at our place. smile cool

#336845 - 05/12/09 10:02 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT]
SimonB Offline
Potatoes are still an issue. I personally would rather pay double the cost than use the ones that are available these days. But to each his own I guess.

#336853 - 05/12/09 11:00 PM Re: Grocery shopping [Re: SimonB]
DeeDeeuz Offline
OK so is ground sirlion OK to order through provisioning or do you stay away from ALL beef? What about ordering beef in restaurants? Does the same go or is that different?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,048 Topics
462,276 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.