Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336614 05/11/09 08:15 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Friday, May 8 thru Tuesday, May 12
8 AM to 8:15 and 3:45 to 4 PM Every Day

PS - The outages don't seem to last as long as the 15 minutes in the notice from BEL.

T
T
Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) advises customers in the Corozal District, Orange Walk District and San Pedro Town, that commencing May 12 through to May 28, 2009, there will be several 15-minute power supply interruptions to accommodate switching

This is necessary for the Company to carry out necessary repairs to the Transmission Line and install breakers at Maskall Substation, which will help to improve service reliability.

JZB Offline
"Several 15 minute interruptions" Per Day? Per the two week Period?

I guess it would be safest to assume power outages every day and leave electronics unplugged when not in use.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
From BEL today

I know you have all been wondering and upset about the outages that have been occuring during this weekend and beginning of this week. I have gotten and update and the reason these outages are taking place is because Corozal and Orange Walk have been having programmed outages "To conduct crossarm inspections on the 10L Transmission Line." and that is causing the 5min outages here this will continue till the end of this week.

B
B
The electrical failures on computers and cooling units is already taking a toll on the island. Handyman Eddie will be working many overtime hours while this occurs. Oh, and what caused the one hour outage at 11 am this morning? Anybody that believes anything BEL says probably has bought prime beach front land in Missouri.

Suggest that you buy / install / use the following if you can:

1. surge protector/line conditioner system - can get one unit for whole house for about $150-200 US

2. generator

Doesn't matter where you live - USA, San Pedro, Tibet --- these items are really good to have for daily life.

B
B
Where can one obtain a surge protector/line conditioner system in Belize? Would love to have one. No one here seems to know anything about them.

I have never seen one for sale in Belize, I brought ours in from the US. Just remember they are no protection for high voltage lightning strikes which is what I bought it for, but it will help with highs but not lows.

S
S
Check with Wally at Wally's Electric in San Pedro Town

P
P
But before you buy read the Wikipedia article on UPSs. Explains just why many of them are at best useless, and sometimes worse than useless. I've had desktop computers burned out when used with a standard UPS, and now I understand why. I only use laptops now - they have built-in protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.