Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#337029 - 05/13/09 06:41 PM Internet performance
Peter Jones Offline
Everyone I know is experiencing very poor internet service, with any page loading maybe one time in five attempts. Does anyone know if this is down to BTL's latest VoIP-blocking antics? Maybe in their enthusiasm for blocking people wanting to do something not to BTL's profit they've "inadvertently" introduced a bottleneck. The service is now completely unacceptable. Is this what we can now look forward to for the future?

Edited by Peter Jones (05/14/09 02:19 PM)

#337034 - 05/13/09 07:11 PM Re: Inteith arnet performance [Re: Peter Jones]
SP Daily Offline
My BTL DSL is working perfectly as usual...

#337041 - 05/13/09 08:59 PM Re: Inteith arnet performance [Re: SP Daily]
Barnacle Offline
i had intermittent problems for months, and since i couldn't find anything wrong with my system i blamed BTL.
i asked them to come look and they found a tree had grown between me and the tower, blocking the line-of-site to the tower.
raised the antenna 10 feet and now am back to great service!

#337054 - 05/13/09 09:52 PM Re: Inteith arnet performance [Re: Barnacle]
Tracker Offline
Is BTL's DSL service available on the North of the island, up as far as Portofino?
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.

#337068 - 05/13/09 11:10 PM Re: Inteith arnet performance [Re: Tracker]
Caye Connect Offline
Originally Posted By: Tracker
Is BTL's DSL service available on the North of the island, up as far as Portofino?

BTL internet service (wired DSL) ends at Journey's End, about 2mi south of Portofino. Everything north is satellite-based.

#337146 - 05/14/09 02:57 PM Re: Inteith arnet performance [Re: Caye Connect]
Peter Jones Offline
It was unbelievably grim this morning up until around 11am, then suddenly improved so it's now equal to its most responsive. I wonder whether Coral Cable had severe equipment issues from the power outages that they've just resolved?

#337151 - 05/14/09 03:27 PM Re: Internet performance [Re: SP Daily]
Peter Jones Offline
Could be either or both. But you can confirm with many others that the abysmal performance yesterday and this morning was a fact.

#337154 - 05/14/09 03:32 PM Re: Internet performance [Re: SP Daily]
Peter Jones Offline
Which pushes the balance of probabilities towards Coral Cable..... It was a remarkable coincidence though, hot on the heels of a quantum change by BTL in the way they "manage" our internet access,

#337162 - 05/14/09 03:49 PM Re: Internet performance [Re: SP Daily]
deadserious Offline
Originally Posted By: jesse
Please explain how you are enrolled in both or that they affect each other.
My BTL DSL service has been fine the whole time...

jesse, coral buys their service from BTL. So if BTL is having trouble, so will coral. But if coral is having trouble, that doesn't mean that BTL is having trouble.
Now back to your regularly scheduled drivel...

#337187 - 05/14/09 06:07 PM Re: Internet performance [Re: deadserious]
Peter Jones Offline
There are at least two internet cafes in town all of whose customers were experiencing the same problem. Funnily enough I wasn't just talking about myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Philus, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,697 Topics
461,208 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.