Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20
J
OP Offline
J
well im moving down from connecticut and i wanted to know if theres people around my age who i can make friends with. this may be a silly post but i just had to ask. thanks in advance!

J
OP Offline
J
thanks...so drugs are a big problem on AC?

live in the dream
Hope you've done your research . . it's not like moving from Hartford to Tampa.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
J
OP Offline
J
that is very true. and another important question...is there a good amount of jobs available to an honest hard worker?

live in the dream
depends on your skills . .first choice of jobs goes to Belizeans, as it should

J
OP Offline
J
i read up on that and compleatly understand. i can honestly do anything that i put my mind to...literally. im a really well rounded character.

live in the dream
you better be well-financed as well

J
OP Offline
J
well thats not too encouraging haha

live in the dream
You will be fine. And if you're not no big deal! You just pick up and go back. Best of luck.

J
OP Offline
J
thanks. i just want to be good to Belize and hope the favor's returned.

live in the dream
That's a weird statement...

When do you plan on moving down, do you know where you're staying?

D
D

Originally Posted by travelqueen
That's a weird statement...

When do you plan on moving down, do you know where you're staying?

agreed! You should have no expectations of anything or anyone "returning the favor" especially moving to another country.

Originally Posted by jamflowman420
well thats not too encouraging haha

Were you under the seemingly pervasive impression that Belize is cheap? I've noticed a lot of folks announce they are coming and that they expect it to be inexpensive. It's not. It's likely more expensive than your current situation. Where do you live now, what do you do to support yourself?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
thanks. i just want to be good to Belize and hope the favor's returned.

Oh, the ignorance of youth. shocked Good luck young fella.

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
i'd suggest a year's worth of money in the bank before you go. as they said, regardless if you are well rounded or willing, if a belizean is qualified for any job you apply for, they get first dibs. better to be prepared than not.

do you have a unique skill? one that a local couldn't do? that would be a real plus. otherwise i think you have to live a year as a resident before getting working papers.

am i close here, or off the mark, guys?

C
C
I wouldn't move to another country, let alone one in Central America, without having something lined up. You will get to Ambergris Caye, find a tonne of great people and parties and not much work for a gringo who isn't operating his/her own business.

I wish you good luck, but I would come down with a great deal of back-up money and a plan.

S
S
Does anyone remember the guy a few years back who insisted that he didn't need a work permit to get by here. He was coming from Cancun I think. A few months after arriving here he was a crack head living off the streets and ended up in Hattieville.

S
S
The same as everyone elses. If you can't support yourself don't bother.

Originally Posted by SimonB
Does anyone remember the guy a few years back who insisted that he didn't need a work permit to get by here. He was coming from Cancun I think. A few months after arriving here he was a crack head living off the streets and ended up in Hattieville.

Now that's the life...

J
OP Offline
J
wow...your all very supportive...i think. its not like im coming down there expecting open arms or anything and its also not like im some idiot who thinks everything falls into my lap. im a very independent guy and not a fool when it comes to getting by and making it in life. my aunts moving into her new home, shes got a bunch of friends down there and for the time being im going to be doing stuff for her to make some money but if my stay becomes permenant then ill figure something else out. and none of you have a clue of what it takes for me to get by, im a survivor. my life in the states has turned sour and im just a person who enjoys making bold moves in life...cant hate me for that.

Last edited by jamflowman420; 05/14/09 05:19 PM.

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
and thanks a lot jesse for being supportive. i hope i run into people like you once i make this move.

J
OP Offline
J
as i have learned haha. and whats up with that other guys crack comment? doesnt he know crack is whack

live in the dream
C
C
Jam give it a shot. Most of these on the board are about 70x older than you anyways and have a different outlook. I moved there at 28 and had a blast. 20 is old enough to try and young enough to fail and laugh about later. Have fun.

J
OP Offline
J
thanks alot canam. where did you come from? and doing crack is just chasing and chasin...very sad

Last edited by jamflowman420; 05/14/09 05:40 PM.

live in the dream
P
P
I'm glad to see a post from Jesse that I wholeheartedly agree with.

damn. All I know is I'm jealous as hell. Godspeed jamflowman!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
i think the essence of what all these wise and experienced folks are getting at is, think really hard before you do this, make sure you are willing to chance going without a job. might be easy, might not. if going moving there was easy, tons of us would be going too. read the living in belize threads, run searches for info on this board, get a real idea of what life in san pedro is like - its good and bad, whatever. no one wants to burst your bubble, just do your homework.

over the years, the most common advice i read is to spend a few months in any foreign country before considering moving permanently.

Originally Posted by Otteralum
damn. All I know is I'm jealous as hell. Godspeed jamflowman!

Jealous that he is 20 or moving wink

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
J
OP Offline
J
thats just the thing i really dont have anything to lose. and making decisions like this is what i live for...the adrenaline and sense of adventure gets my blood flowing and the caliber of personality shows

live in the dream
I would agree with Jesse here. As someone who left home and left the country where I had been raised at a much younger age than 20, without more than a weeks worth of money in my pocket and without any other financial support or assistance, I made it, had an adventure and would do exactly the same thing again. I ended up spending 25 years in my country of choice and it was fantastic - if not tough at times. Life is too short not to follow your dreams and take chances (in my opinion).

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

J
OP Offline
J
now this guy(collyk) knows what im talking about. thanks bro

live in the dream
You're welcome bro. *chuckle*

www.conchcreative.com

J
OP Offline
J
wait a minute are you a guy or girl? lol

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
nevermind lol i just looked above. sorry my dear

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
collyk looked like a guys name to me for some reason. my bad

live in the dream
here you get no argument - i love colette. smile i didnt at all mean to imply not for you to go. i'm a mom, and i think like a mom. if you were my kid, i'd wish you the best, but want you to know about the place you're going first. so, best of luck - there are some wonderful folks there and it will be a great adventure!

S
S
Well if you'd said that in the first place...

J
OP Offline
J
its all good.

live in the dream
klc -- been 20, done that. It would be wonderful however to be a newlywed with Mrs. O. and move to Belize -- rock! Now quit stirring the pot old man wink

Originally Posted by jesse
C'mon..he's 20...nothing is permanent. what has he got to lose?

100% true and you can always pack up and go back if it isn't for you. Not a big deal to move.

J
OP Offline
J
sounds like you dont want me coming down there hahaha

live in the dream
"collyk is a great lady..Collette. You'll meet her"

How can you be sure of that?

I hope that someday we can put aside our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.
I am telling you that you should do whatever makes you happy. It makes no difference to me what you choose and I told you earlier that you should go for it. I don't think it's a big deal.

J
OP Offline
J
ok. i didnt know if you were being sarcastic or not haha. but all is well and i appreciate the support.

live in the dream
L
L
hello

Go for it! smile

J
OP Offline
J
hi lorena. and thank you caklee

live in the dream
okay, I'm willing to show some humility and say I misjudged . . didn't know you had people in AC . . I just remember moving from Lawrence, Kansas to Bezerkeley when I was 19 with nothing but a semi-committed girlfriend . . within six weeks, I was painting houses (part-time) and she was working in a massage parlor. Not the 1972 social revelation I had been looking for. I was back in Lawrence (sans girlfriend) in 8 months, in time to get a job, move in with some buddies and burn our rental house down for Xmas (but that's another story). But, upon reflection, I wouldn't change a thing. So go for it . . .the worst that will happen is that you will have some great stories to tell. smile

J
OP Offline
J
dont feel humility...i would of thought the same. a lot of people my age are still 16 in the head and very childish with making decisions.

live in the dream
Originally Posted by KC Jayhawk
So go for it . . .the worst that will happen is that you will have some great stories to tell. smile

Well, there is that crack thing...

J
OP Offline
J
and i want to hear the story about the house burn grin

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
not the crack again ahaha

live in the dream
c'mon, dead . . . ain't nobody ever forced anything on me in SP, except blue sky and bright water

J
OP Offline
J
wow this post got really popular really fast

live in the dream
ok. i didnt know if you were being sarcastic or not haha. but all is well and i appreciate the support.

Nothing sarcastic about either of my posts which both said go for it, moving is not a big deal, and if it does not work then you move back. Simple.

i say go for it....i did it for a year, but went with the attitude, that if i didn't make it, i would go back to the states, and have had the best year of my life....if i make it i'll be where i want to be for the rest of my life...unfortunately, i didn't make it...but until i do, it's become my home away from home....or maybe i should say, louisiana
is my home away from home in san pedro:)

I was back in Lawrence (sans girlfriend) in 8 months, in time to get a job, move in with some buddies and burn our rental house down for Xmas (but that's another story).

Ruthie - we now know the secret to Kansas City BBQ - Arson!

Originally Posted by Otteralum
klc -- been 20, done that. It would be wonderful however to be a newlywed with Mrs. O. and move to Belize -- rock! Now quit stirring the pot old man wink

Hey KLC - don't we have "those pictures" that we took that afternoon at Cauker? He isn't talking smack is he?

Originally Posted by *I Do* Belize Weddings

100% true and you can always pack up and go back if it isn't for you. Not a big deal to move.

Keli and TQ - you are older than this kid by 4 years and you are offering him advice? heart heart

now this guy(collyk) knows what im talking about. thanks bro

Jam - Please ignore Colly she wants me to bring her a pony in June

If you want CBT's advice (and it is free but you may have to buy me a drink one day) - Do your homework, visit as often as you can, meet the people, and then meet the people, and then meet the people (no my keyboard isn't stuck) and then give it a try, if you give respect then you will recieve it. You have me by 19 years, a great wife, a morgage, a crappy drinking cooking team, 2 dogs (one who is older than you) and a nephew that I adore but it is our goal to be there too. Godspeed as the beauty of San Pedro (or any other vacation destination) is that it will weed out those who are there for "spring break" and those who want to live and contribute.

Whoa - who took over CBT's keyboard tonight?

But why eat my vegetables I already know that I am short!
www.carbunkletrumpet.wordpress.com
Originally Posted by carbunkletrumpet
Whoa - who took over CBT's keyboard tonight?

Beer most likely wink

C
C
I say go for it! At 20, if things dont' work out you probably dont' have much to lose. And if they do work out--super!

Originally Posted by *I Do* Belize Weddings

Keli and TQ - you are older than this kid by 4 years and you are offering him advice? heart heart

Very Cute CBT. Must be the beer wink
We are much more than 4 years older than this kid and I happen to pack up and moved solo when I was exactly 20. Best thing I ever did and learned so much.

. . didn't know you had people in AC .

Heyyyyy, I want "people in AC"

Dear mom & dad,

Please move

Love ya!

grin

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
Jam, I can't think of a better person to get advice from than Keli, as she said she's pretty much done exactly what you are planning to do.
I made my first trip down at age 37 & fell in love with San Pedro, 21 yrs. later & I can't think of a better place to spend a couple wks. a yr. I'm back in Oct. & counting the days.
What you are doing is what alot of us can only dream about.
Wishing you all the best & great times in S.P.

Jerry

Last edited by J DOG; 05/15/09 07:31 AM.
Mr. Trumpet. I hope you haven't forgotten that you will need to bring hay as well.

www.conchcreative.com

"didn't know you had people in AC"

Good point KC. Makes his opening post seem odd in that he likely already knew the answers.

Thanks Jerry.

I truly believe you just need to follow your gut and go where you want using good judgement. You will then almost always succeed. I've gone many places since age 16 that most have advised against and they have all turned out a huge success and lead to happiness.

Never go forward with fear for if you make a wrong turn you can always go back or go onto new places.

well im moving down from connecticut and i wanted to know if theres people around my age who i can make friends with. this may be a silly post but i just had to ask. thanks in advance!

Hmmm .... this was the orginal post

Just asking about the age group and making some new bare footed friends smile

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour"
Oh My, sorry I missed this post earlier. Another 20 something moving to AC because they have a sense of adventure? And they can do EVERYTHING so work won't be a problem??? It sounds to like this 20 year old has already found the crack!

I for one wish I had moved here when I was 20. I am just glad I stumbled onto the beach when I did, he will find out that everything and nothing is possible here, its half the fun of life in Belize.

Reality..What a concept!
my aunts moving into her new home, shes got a bunch of friends down there and for the time being im going to be doing stuff for her to make some money but if my stay becomes permenant then ill figure something else out. and none of you have a clue of what it takes for me to get by, im a survivor. my life in the states has turned sour and im just a person who enjoys making bold moves in life...cant hate me for that.

The Young and The Restless comes to SP.

T
T
No Guts No Glory!!!! It's been about 20 years since I moved to the Caribbean( St. Croix) and it seems like yesterday that my stomach was rumbling, Island Life click

When I had the misfortune of being in Cancun over spring break one year I must have run into a million jamflowman420's. I think George Thorogood said it best, "Get a haircut and get a real job..."

R
R
Bing, I can understand where you are coming from but AC wouldn't be the place it is and what I love if the ticket to get on the Island was:
"Get a haircut and get a real job..."

Maybe he'll flame out and maybe he won't. If everyone was like the quote above, waited till they had a good job and could afford it, this place would be boring.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Go for it.
Don't let the old farts around here rain on your parade.
They all wish they were in your shoes!

Bingo! I am one of the older farts and I wish I was in your shoes.

Last edited by champion; 05/15/09 03:44 PM. Reason: add to

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
D
D
Oh to be 20 again.

J
OP Offline
J
i think that quote is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. my job is to live life. money comes and money goes and i feel bad that money is the the thing that runs your life...must be pretty miserable. and anyone on here could try to put me down as much as they want because stuff like that really doesnt phase me and only gives the impression that your a crabby old fart. thanks for all the postitive posts though!!!yur the type of people im going to be associating myself with.

and p.s. the crack jokes and comments have to stop...its old.

live in the dream
now that's the right attitude jamflow. a lot of people are too busy living in a state of why they can't live the life they really want to and end up trying to talk others out of doing just that. life is short, you're the boss, enjoy!

i think that quote is one of the dumbest things ive ever heard. my job is to live life. money comes and money goes and i feel bad that money is the the thing that runs your life...must be pretty miserable. and anyone on here could try to put me down as much as they want because stuff like that really doesnt phase me and only gives the impression that your a crabby old fart. thanks for all the postitive posts though!!!yur the type of people im going to be associating myself with.

Say what? Danny was posting in support of you.

Folks, after his/her last post, I think it's clear we're having our chains pulled here. Either way, sounds like a jerk.

J
OP Offline
J
well thank you very much.

live in the dream

I guess I can see how an "old fart" reference could be considered an old crack joke.

Originally Posted by Bing Crosby
"Get a haircut and get a real job..."

This may be the quote that he was referring to.

Oh my word, soooo much sputtering.

Crappy ole farts grin

"The truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery even when he must take a detour" - Anonymous

J
OP Offline
J
sorry if i misunderstood anyone on here.

live in the dream
Hey Jam,

Boils down to daring to take a risk, have an adventure along the way, and ending up with something to talk about when you get to be an ole fart

grin

Last edited by wannaBEthere; 05/16/09 01:04 PM.

J
OP Offline
J
haha

live in the dream
S
spl Offline
S
You want to stop with the crack jokes so can we start with 420 jokes?

J
OP Offline
J
oooooooooooooooooooooo funny guy ; )

live in the dream
Those who accuse others of having a bad attitude and an ulterior motive are the ones who know bad attitudes and ulterior motives since they have one(s) of their own. They know who they are. tired

J
OP Offline
J
heres a productive question: what sort of jobs would be available for me when i come down? i know the whole deal with Belizeans getting first choice but im just interested in some examples of what i can get started with. any help would be greatly appreciated.

live in the dream
What skills do you have? What jobs have you held?

The job market down here is farely flat at the moment,but by the time you apply for and recieve a work permit things should be a bit better, what type of work are you interested in doing?
Will you be self employed or will you be interested in joining the general work force?

Reality..What a concept!
heres a productive question: what sort of jobs would be available for me when i come down? i know the whole deal with Belizeans getting first choice but im just interested in some examples of what i can get started with. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Selling bead necklaces and wood carvings on the beach seem to be popular jobs.

T
T
You can get started with a education,trades are always nice.Why don't you come for a extended vacation.If this is the only research you are going to do you won't make it.You should be asking what you should do if you get sick. Your cart is way before the horse,hope the horse catches up.we don't like people that take Belizean Jobs. Now let me ask , What specific talent do you have, that a Belizean doesn't ?? Fair question

heres a productive question: what sort of jobs would be available for me when i come down?

What type of job can you create for yourself?

D
D

I hear they are looking for a troll to live under the bridge.

Originally Posted by Danny2

I hear they are looking for a troll to live under the bridge.

Sounds fun, and I'm certainly qualified. I'm just not sure about monetization or an exit strategy. Perhaps you have a business plan already worked up? It sounds like you've already been working in that industry.

D
D

ds, you talking to me?

Tim, "we don't like people that take Belizean jobs"????

You'll have to get a work permit to work legally. Working illegally is stressful and you won't get paid very well, just like working illegally in any country. The work permit process can be a pricey and frustrating one, so be prepared for that. Some employers will offer to arrange a work permit for you if they really want you badly enough, but those promises don't always come to fruition.

If you are intelligent, articulate, trustworthy, friendly, a hard worker and aren't prone to severe alcohol or substance abuse, then you're chances are better than many others. This is low season and the economy has been affected by the world economic downturn so, just like everywhere else, the job market is tough.

Be prepared to work hard, network hard and struggle a bit, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try. Personally, I love the new influx of young, energised and enthusiastic people coming to San Pedro with new ideas and talents. They are creating a great vibe here. Good luck with your adventure.

www.conchcreative.com

T
T
Originally Posted by reaper
Tim, "we don't like people that take Belizean jobs"????
immigration rules are pretty simple,it sounds like most Belizeans match his job qualifications.I would hope someone would come down and create a job.Having plans of falling back and working illegally is wrong,with the lay offs these days they are going to be gunning for ya.Watching many Belizean buds struggling,and.....maybe I missed something, sorry

Don't apologize to reaper, he's the one who doesn't get it. If one was paying attention, and was a bigger picture kind of observer, they would note that with independence, Belize implemeted laws that created barriers to foreigners in this area. That was a good thing in that it protected it's citizens from an influx of foreign competition for jobs. Bad for the ugly american, good for the Belizean.

Hey, it could be worse. Another former British country, The Bahamas, prevents land ownership for many years as well as excluding jobs. A brilliant setup, in my opinion, and it has helped keep these paradise countries from being overrun by foreign interests and people.

A thoughtful person would also realize that they would object if a Belizean showed up in the US and took their job.

Hey skippy. When someone like Tim says "We don't like people that take Belizean jobs", I see the irony in that. I know Tim and his wife Tina. Nice folks. They aren't Belizeans, yet work in Belize.
I just wanted to know the "we" and what is a "Belizean job"?

And skippy, don't worry about what I get or don't get about Belize.

That was funny that skippy said, "reaper doesn't get it"... cuz skippy was the one who didn't get it... I got it reaper laugh!

I too agree though that you, flow420, should just go for a visit then start to ask your questions. Since you have a relative to stay with and can help her out to make a few bucks, you don't have to figure things out right away.

Good luck to you!

Haha...Reaper doesn't get it! Oh lord, if anyone "gets it," it's Reaper!

So true, chunky!

Originally Posted by collyk
Some employers will offer to arrange a work permit for you if they really want you badly enough, but those promises don't always come to fruition.

Isn't this exactly what landed the US couple in jail a few months back when they got caught working without a permit and no visas?

I see the irony in that. I know Tim and his wife Tina. Nice folks. They aren't Belizeans, yet work in Belize.

Tim and Tina are Belizean. Not by birth, but they have the passports to prove it.

Hmmm,so they took the same path that jamflowman420 may take soon?

No, they succeeded, built a business for themselves and bring tons of money into the country in investments each year. k. Big difference.

J
OP Offline
J
"deadserious" must have not gotten his or her daily dose of attention today.

live in the dream
J
OP Offline
J
and as for the whole job thing, i get it and see where everyone is coming from.

live in the dream
"deadserious" must have not gotten his or her daily dose of attention today.

I am here in belize without the wife... luckily there are many former dreamers like yourself walking the beach offering crack and whores to keep me plenty occupied.

J
OP Offline
J
sorry your life turned out that way, but why do you have to give me crap about it?

live in the dream
Because it's fun. And since you seem to be too dense to figure it out, I haven't been giving you crap about anything. I've been giving SimonB crap about his implication that everyone turns to crack when they come to the island. It's called sarcasm. Here's a link to get you started in your studies.

Question for jamflowman420: When will you be arriving on AC, so deadserious can arrange a welcoming party for you at Pedro's?

T
T
Hey skippy. When someone like Tim says "We don't like people that take Belizean jobs", I see the irony in that. I know Tim and his wife Tina. Nice folks. They aren't Belizeans, yet work in Belize.

And skippy, don't worry about what I get or don't get about Belize.
"We" is the community."Belizean Job"" example If a person were to enter the united States illegally and work they would be taking a "American Job". Folks you all are reasonable and are good people by human nature,this place attracts this kind of extraordinary people.
Prominent business owners that employ a large number of jobs on island are sick over the lay offs .These are people with mortgages ,kids ,Hospital bills, etc.
3 weeks ago I got a heart wrenching e-mail from a wonderful hard working Family begging for a job for her husband that was laid off.He has carpentry skills and plumbing,over all recommended general maintenance.Their baby was born premature and are incurring a large medical bills that they can't pay.We have searched high and low for a job ,maybe someone on this board can help.Please P.M. Me, if you can help or e-mail is better.
Belize is a free country and everyone should have a chance to enjoy this jewel.Taco girl and Boy are the perfect example because their life is fortunately pretty much public.They followed the immigration policy (LAW), and elected to volunteer and raise Money for Holy Cross School during their waiting period.They both worked hard for our community and made a huge difference to many children. The Taco's continue to support numerous charities,while working now legally.
Most people on the other side are not privy to this information.You are more than welcome Jam, please respect the laws and the culture and you will do all right.

well said, tim.

J
OP Offline
J
thanks tim. and deadserious i have a hard time picking up on sarcasm when its not spoken word so my bad for lookin like a prick but whatever its not a big deal ok? and for the moose man ill be down as soon as possible and yes i picked up on that sarcasm so ITS ALL GOOD EVERYONE.

and to set the story straight so we can stop a lot of nonsense im declaring that my intentions for coming down there is for an extended vacation where if something happens it happens, stay or leave whatever. everything must run its course

live in the dream
Geez I was dead serious. grin I hope you have done your homework. If you get into Belize, you are good for 30 days and then the friendly folks at immigration decide whether you stay or leave, if you ask nicely and pay them.

I will stick with the "get a haircut and get a real job quote" It is so easy for a 20 something to say "it's about life" not about money when Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill. And don't tell me maybe he has earned his way on his own because the only 20 year olds that can do that are pro athletes or rock stars and I haven't heard of any that have turned up missing. His whole "420" name is enough to tell me he thinks Belize is the place he can sit around and be a beach bum.

At least you're not judgmental, Bing. Your handle, by the way, would seem to imply that you are posting post-mortem.

Bing speaks like someone who surely didn't have a sense of adventure young or the balls to have an adventure at all. Some of us did travel to a foreign country with absolutely no financial support at all and some of us had a great time, learned a lot, made life long friends and didn't even need a haircut. In fact some of us found our niche and made a pretty good living after working very hard. Grumpy grumpy grumpy and a teensy bit sad.

www.conchcreative.com

Sorry to say collyk but you're wrong. I had and still have a sense of adventure and it's none of your buisness but I have balls as well. Expecting someone else to pay for everyday needs such as food and housing is an immature attitude. And if you were a person that was able to make a good living working very hard at doing nothing, well good for you. My whole point to 20/420 was sure have your adventure but foot the bill yourself and contrary to what most 20 year olds think, they are not talented at everything and don't know everything. Yes, our fathers did get smarter the older WE got!

Who says they are expecting to get someone to pay for their every day needs? I had no financial support from my family from the age of 15 and trust me, you don't make money doing nothing. Some people are perfectly capable of working hard and making a good life for themselves and I do think it is sad that some people put the dampeners on the sort of independence and ambition that leads people to have exciting and interesting lives.

I actually worked my way through university by cleaning other people's toilets. Hard work and big dreams used to be encouraged.

And some people's fathers just got grumpier and more narrow minded. As a great friend of mine says 'you can't fix stupid' and even age is no cure.

Last edited by collyk; 05/18/09 10:06 AM. Reason: to add an asice

www.conchcreative.com

Collyk, I believe you when you said you worked to acheive all you have, I did the same thing. The problem is way too many of the youth of today (thanks baby boomers of which I am one)expect everything to be handed to them. Now maybe 20/420 is not one of them but I have my doubts. In my buisness I employ many (over 50)18-21 year olds and I can tell you from first hand experience work ethics have gone way down in the past 15 to 20 years. I repeatedly have no shows for work, late for work, wanting to take breaks at 4:20 if you know what I mean and complaints about low pay even though I pay above minimum wage.

"Get a haircut, a real job and Costco card also". Get in line to be another mindless consumer with a 9-5 job they hate, a promotion they'll never get and a mortgage that kills them.

Go have great time in Belize kid!

ps. When I was 20 I made more money than my dad, and he had a good job.

JFM420. Do what your heart and mind tells you is right for you. Listen to your inner voice, and not those who did not/can not do tell you otherwise.
Like Reaper said. " Go have a great time".

When I was 20 I was in a War ( A job) I had No money ( made $91 a Month) and the Air Force made sure I cut my hair.
If you see Belize as your place to be in your life. then GO for it. You only get one shot at life. Don't let someone else tell you how to live it.

Never Use money to measure wealth
S
S
So agree with Bill . Follow your heart and work your buns off pursuing that dream has always worked for me. But hard work with long hours is a huge part of it.

Finally an interesting thread and WHO ARE YOU Deadserious and Bing?!!!! Keep it up. I get tired of all of this PC boloney all the time.

Bill, did you fly with Orville or Wilbur in that war????????

C
C
To Bing/Deadserious;

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."

Originally Posted by Canam
To Bing/Deadserious;

I don't get it. Why was that directed to me?

Bill, did you fly with Orville or Wilbur in that war????????

Smart ASS: smile

No Rich, But Eddie Rickenbacher and I shared a few pints in The Squadron 69 day room at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by deadserious
To Bing/Deadserious;

Maybe your sarcasm was too deep. Don't lose any sleep over it.

I suppose I am just an idealist at heart and get a bit frustrated by some of the old cynics in San Pedro who shake their head knowingly at every new comer and anticipate their failure based on the fact that they are a certain age, of a certain financial status or from a certain background. I have noticed that it is usually the antisocial and the greedy who fail when they come to Belize. The kind, generous and creative who have realistic expectations and don't want to get rich seem to do very well. The ones who really want to make money come down with a ton of money already. But there is nothing wrong with selling jewelery or art or playing in a band if that is what you want in life.

www.conchcreative.com

Man what a long post I am only on page 7 keep coming back to it periodically.

Sometimes in life you just have to plug your nose and jump.

We did - not a day goes by that I do not think we made the right choice even during the hard times.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

Wow, I can't decide if this thread is funny or pitiful! Guess it's a bit of both. Full of biased opinion and absolutely incorrect iformation for sure.
jamflowman420, there is a grand total of perhaps two who have posted here that I'd take advice from regarding living in San Pedro. (Of course, some will tell you I don't take advice even when I should. :P ) Your best bet is to find one or two people who actually live there and talk to them, then make a decision and go for it. Even if it doesn't work out, failure is not the end of the world. wink

I can never remember which is better . . . safe? . . . or sorry?
E
E
Originally Posted by Bill Mc Ghee
JFM420. Do what your heart and mind tells you is right for you. Listen to your inner voice, and not those who did not/can not do tell you otherwise.
Like Reaper said. " Go have a great time".

If you see Belize as your place to be in your life. then GO for it. You only get one shot at life. Don't let someone else tell you how to live it.

Amen to that. At 20 I was "wasting my life" running sound for a rock band. I didn't make much money but I had incredible experiences that I wouldn't trade for all the "financial security" in the world. I eventually met a girl and was forced to "settle down" and get a "real job". When she left and the economy collapsed I moved to Denver and got a job running sound for a local AV company. 20 years later I'm still doing what I love and the skills I learned way back in my 20s have taken me all over the world.

The point here is that if I'd have been like most of my classmates and joined the corporate world right out of school, I'd most likely have spent the last 30 years in a job I either hate or just tolerate for the paycheck. I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs and I'd never met any of my current friends.

20/420 follow Bill's advice. Get out into the world while you're young. See it all, do it all and most importantly, listen and learn. One other thing is pay your own way. It builds character and self-esteem and people respect you for it. Mostly though have as much fun as you can while you can!

God Bless The Reef!
J
OP Offline
J
alright listen mr bing crosby...your the person who is making this post seem silly and just a social thing...well its not.
for you to think everything is handed to me and i cant make my own way without mommy and daddy when you dont even know who i am...your a stereotypical old fart who is jealous that i have youth and time on my side. neither of which you got. lay off the jokes and go bug someone else. im here for some useful information and to find some people who can actually prosper my trip down there, and you definitly cant help me.

i greatly appreciate those who have given actual advice and helped me gain a perspective of what to expect. i hope to meet up with some of you eventually and show you in person what kind of guy i am. honestly i cant wait to prove the "critics" on here wrong.

what kind of vehicles besides golf carts and mopeds are allowed? are dirtbikes legal?

live in the dream
Yes dirt bikes are legal, but you have to have a permit to bring one on the island, also there is a size restriction on how big it can be, can't remember the exact details, but I'm sure someone else will fill you in on the fine print.

Reality..What a concept!
You are 20 years old, with nothing to lose, when you get here you will begin with no friends and no job.

Get out on the beach, walking to start with, graduate to a bicycle later.

The best way to meet folks on this island is by walking around.

After digging through this post I would say that you only live once and at 20 this might be the only time left in your life when you are foot loose and fancy free. Why wait to move here til you are in your 30's or 40's and have a wife and 2.2 kids and a $300K mortgage hanging over your head and can't see your way out.

With a good attitude and the desire to work and make friends you truly will succeed.

And yeah, be sure to lay off that crack stuff!

B
B
The largest they sell on the island is 150cc. Anything larger and it is katy bar the door on getting a permit. At present time, permits for almost anything with an engine, including the smaller motorycycles, are difficult to obtain.

C
C
Amanda is right. By a bike at the most. Unless you live beyond the bridge (which you shouldn't until you get the feel of the place), you will never need anything else. If you're really keen you'll run into people from time to time selling their carts and dirt bikes, but I doubt you'll want to deal with the hassle.

J
OP Offline
J
a bike is the way to go...good call.

is there a "bad" section of the caye at all? where me being the "gringo" would most likely run into some issues with the people.

and whats one of the "social" places in town where a guy my age could have some fun? i know theres probably bars galore but im just trying to get some names of differet places, good or bad, to look for when i come down to sort of get a head start and have a bit of direction of where to explore first. i want everyones opinion on this matter! grin

live in the dream
C
C
It's pretty straight forward. I think you said you have some friends on the island already? Poke around for a couple of days and you'll figure out where you want to be. I moved there without ever being to Belize and came away unscathed. If you're 20 and looking for younger people, hit up Fidos in town. Mostly a tourist group with a few of the younger ex-pat islanders. Talk to the bartenders (Mike, Glen etc) and they'll get you started. I am more of a Crazy Canucks/Squirrel's Nest (more South) guy but I have some mileage in town.

P
P
There was another young dude who recently hit the boards with a similar deluge of questions and got a ton of flack. Are we trying to scare these people off?

Come down. Have a back up plan. Have fun. Treat people as you would hope to be treated.......and leave some questions unasked so you have something to work out once your here!!!!

Originally Posted by Phil
There was another young dude who recently hit the boards with a similar deluge of questions and got a ton of flack. Are we trying to scare these people off?

My guess is you're referring to A C, the internet guru from Ohio. He sought advice and got it. He disappeared from the board as quickly as he arrived. Maybe he's made his move to SP.

When somebody asks for guidance, I assume they want an honest opinion. We all come from different backgrounds and upbringings. Some of us are liberals and some are conservatives, some capitalists and some socialists. Some seek responsibility and others run from it. Some are realists and some are dreamers. Some plan for the future and some live day-to-day. Some are self-sustaining, while others are comfortable being supported by others. One thing we all have in common is that we all want to be happy. Do what makes you happy, so long as others don't suffer by your actions and decisions.

Originally Posted by Moose in Belize
Originally Posted by deadserious
To Bing/Deadserious;

Maybe your sarcasm was too deep. Don't lose any sleep over it.

I slept fine. I just wondered if I was in need of a good quote. Thought I was already at my quote quota...

J
OP Offline
J
thanks canam. thats the kinda post i was looking for...concrete examples of where to "get started". and for the moose, great post.

live in the dream
Well Mr. 20/420,
You prove my point on your lack of maturity. Receive a little grief and you automatically shift to threaten mode. ("i hope to meet up with you eventually, and show you in person what kind of guy i am") Not to mention your lack of puncuation and capitalization. Don't feel too bad, high school is hard a lot of people didn't finish it.

D
D
My first trip to Belize was in the early 90's for diving one spring break in college. After graduation I went back, and survived on my graudation money and what little I had saved for around 9 months. Never got a job, dove a lot and had a great time, I returned home when I had just enough money for a plane ticket, departure tax and cab fare. I learned a lot in those nine months, and developed a love for the locale that persists to this day. I stayed away from drugs, probably added a wing on to Sir Bowens house (and took a couple years off the ole liver) and just enjoyed the simplicity of life that the country had to offer.

Today, I have the typical life of mortgage, kids, two dogs and a cat type deal. To this day, I can think back on the time I spent bumming around the country and a smile comes to my face every time. The difference for me between if I had stayed or not probably would have been rather substantial in terms of lifestyle, nor would I have ever met my wife had two great kids etc. Like many on this board, we return several times a year and plan on one day hanging out an address board for a while down their. That time though I will be able to pretty much do whatever I darn well please, because I will be living on more than $20 a day.

If I was that age again, I would do it all over in a heartbeat. Here is my advice, you can take it or leave it.

It sounds like you already have a place to crash and maybe make a little walking around money so you will be all right.

1. Save enough money to get home should you ever decide it is no longer paradise

2. Volunteer: Although I did not have a "job", I did contribute to the community. I volunteered at the local schools, doing general maintenance and occassionally giving the kids impromptu chemistry lessons about the world around them. I also helped at the hospital setting up some analytical instruments, and training people how to maintain them. (I have a degree in chemistry) Volunteering opened more doors for me in that country than anything else, I was graciously invited into many homes and given some truly wonderful meals as a result.`

3. Travel: The islands are great, but their is so much more to the country that you should see than just the beach, get on a bus or van and head away from the coast. Maybe if you have a chance you could get over to Guatemala and see Tikal or some of the ruins around San Ignacio

4. Respect: This really should be neck and neck with the first rule..... I am not saying that you are, but if you are.... A self pretentious uptight person, you should really leave that back in North America. Treat the locals with real respect and be sure to respect the Belizean culture/way of life. You need to conform to the lifestyle, not expect the lifestyle to conform to what you may be used to now.

5. Become as close to a local as you can: If you happen to be in a cart and kids are going to school give them a lift if you can, even if it is just part of the way. Don't be a tourist, eat where the locals go, maybe head to church if you so desire, pitch in at a fundraiser etc....

In the end you may leave with nothing more than the shirt on your back, but your memory could very well be over capacity

okay, now I must apologize to whomever I just jerjked the soapbox out from under, umm here you can have it back now.....

Excellent Post D.O.A.
very sound advice to go along with the encouragement!

Bing Crosby! what in the world has twisted you so against this young man?

You took a quote out of context and completely screwed the message to your reply.

Here is the exact quote in it's proper form and meaning.

"i greatly appreciate those who have given actual advice and helped me gain a perspective of what to expect. i hope to meet up with some of you eventually and show you in person what kind of guy i am. honestly i cant wait to prove the "critics" on here wrong."

Where that, in any way, constitutes a threat, I'm sorry ! I can't see it.

What skin off your nose, or money out of your pocket does his coming to Belize threaten you with? He is simply asking for advice, in a life change he intends to make, from people who may be able to help him make the transition.

If he makes a go of it and does as he says he will. then great, another good citizen in a beautiful country. If he fails , I doubt if he is going to ask you for money to go home.

C
C
Glad you said it Bill. It's strange how a simple request for information was thrown back in the original poster's face. It's even more bizarre how people misinterpret statements towards the negative. Makes the island/country's residents look at best unwelcoming.

You guys didn't get the Troll Alert memo did you. This whole thread is just troll feeding and poster masturbation.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
yeah, but now that is gone we have to do something with our time.

the difference between kicking a dead horse and kicking peter is kicking the dead horse is no fun.

White Sands Dive Shop
Originally Posted by elbert
You guys didn't get the Troll Alert memo did you. This whole thread is just troll feeding and poster masturbation.

I was wondering why I was enjoying this thread so much...

M
M
What a load of crap! Almost makes me glad I have yet to visit Belize. At least now I will have an idea of who I do not want to interact with when I do visit. First on the list......Bing Crosby.

Don't confuse Belize with the people on this chat site. Most of the time its well rounded information with a bit of banter.

Don't kid yourself, Bing is among you my friends!

We knowit! You be a troll!

White Sands Dive Shop
It cracks me up everytime I post something people disagree with I am called a Troll. Fact is I didn't even know what a Troll was until someone informed me on this site.

Bing if you don't even know what a troll is maybe you didn't finish high school!!!! Like Bill said what is it that makes you have such a negative attitude towards a 20yo wanting to make his own way in this world?

love like you've never been hurt, work like you don't need the money,dance like no one is watching
D
D
I believe it helps one "grow up" to go out in the world, out of the world they have been living in and sheltered by friends and family and to "make" it by their own skills. Usually it's a good thing. It makes a better person, usually.

Last edited by Danny2; 05/20/09 08:27 AM.
Danny2, I agree with you 100%, The only point I have been trying to make is, as Danny2 says, make it on your own and do it with humility, and cherylvalentine I have nothing against this or any 20 year old if they follow that path. Also I did finish high school but as I also said it wasn't necessarily easy, and I am pretty sure when I was in high school the only Troll's we were informed about were the ones living under bridges.

J
OP Offline
J
im in awe of how a post regarding the want for simple information turn into such a "carnival". it started with the crack comments, then it turned into sarcastic/rude comments and now were talking about trolls...(if the troll thing means something else fill me in lol) botom line is that i just hope you all are this fun once i get down there hahaha!

but seriously keep the good info coming!

and thanks to those who called bing out on being annoying. honestly bing whats your deal?

Last edited by jamflowman420; 05/21/09 12:23 AM.

live in the dream

Is there something wrong with using capital letters?

Last edited by Belize-N-Us; 05/21/09 08:33 AM.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
The name is "Bing" not "bing".

I guess proper punctation is "old school".

Sounds like getting an education and having job security is not a priority anymore either.

My 17 y/o will not be allowed to hang out with this guy.

Future full time Belizeans
Tommy & Sonia Blackledge
Magee, MS 601-849-1918
What a circus of amusement to read all of this! Yes, it is SO funny to have 20 pages of this, all stemming from a simple question.

JFM420: when I was 23, I worked and saved everything all summer, bought a plane ticket taking me around the world, with areas to cover myself on land, with about $500 in my pocket. My life would not be the same AT ALL had I not done this - my eyes were opened to all the diversity and beauty of the differences and similarities of those leading very different lives, as opposed to "wasteful Westerners" (not all you of you of course!) in this world. DO IT!! I traveled through

I really don't want to get into cutting others down, but WOW, "Bing" sure seems like a jealous loser who has nothing better to do than write negative posts. One who hides behind a dead celebrity's name and even lists "crooner" as his profession is telling. People who go ON and ON and ON with cutting others down are only trying to subdue their own unhhappiness. Normally, I feel bad for those like this, (we all have bad times), but again, WOW, "Bing" is beyond help in the happy dept.

I've been to SP only twice, but have not met anyone who didn't seem happy and appreciative of the life they lead on the island or their chosen vacation destination. Why all the hate from a few of you? Because you are sitting at your keyboard unhappy with life!!!

My last comment will only be about the 420 - and we all know what we are talking about - remember prohibition in the 30's? Well, no one is cutting down all the alcohol consumption on the island. OK - someone comes up with a screen name with 420 - "Bing", we could be all over you for your name which you hide under. Don't bother to send a nasty retort - you will only look like more of a hater.

To all those young enough not to have ties, do it NOW - with the right attitude, almost anything is possible! I wish you all the luck in the world JamFlowMan!!!! Your life will be richer, even if it doesn't pan out! You should really visit first though...

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
Why is this funny that one question has evolved into so many different things? This happens ALL THE TIME on this board... why do you think we're all still here? grin

I so agree - but on this particular issue, is it necessary for have certain people be SO negative? It is interesting to hear different points of view, but not all the self-imposed hate directed to others who may be "dreamers" in some eyes. Hey, what would this world be like without people who dream? Look at what the Tacos did, and still are doing all they can, for the island! Three cheers for them!! TQ, luckily YOU don't appear to be one of those, as I know from previous posts!! smile

I think a small part of it is jealousy but a lot of it is "locals" getting tired of people who do just exactly what jam420 is planning to do and they "fail" or just get bored and go home. Some of them borrow money or depend on others to get them along for as longs as they can. Some folks that live on the island are sick of seeing it so they pretty much discourage anyone who isn't financially equipped to not try it at all. Everyone is different and I think for this particular subject there is no advice that is suitable for every person wanting to make the move. I'm not jealous, I don't want to move to SP.

Jam420 is lucky that he can float along for a while before making the descision.

tommy: firstly, your edumacation did not preclude your misspelling of common english words such as 'punctuation'. secondly, i doubt any 17 year old boy should be hanging out with men and women in their 20s on a regular social basis. thirdly, unless you are composing business correspondence or formal social correspondence, acronyms, lower case letters and the rest of the crap you see on a message board, in e-mails and in chat rooms is the norm.

jamflow, most of the negative comments concerning your proposed move are coming from people who don't live in san pedro, and never have, not that it matters much either way. but the sour grapes mentality is prevalent. just disregard it and do as you see fit as long as you are a good citizen and productive member of society either through volunteerism or legal commerce.

TQ - I wasn't implying YOU are jealous - my problem is with all the hypocrisy from those who moved from other countries, just like JFM, (or want to but can't for some reason). I agree, everyone is different. There are quite a few who move out of the country with little money but valid hopes, who DO make it. Even if it doesn't work out, at least the person came out with an experience in which they learned something - the point of life! I'm with you TQ!!!

Good one iluvbelize - he can't even spell! He should get with the times and realize how people compose their written thoughts on boards such as this nowadays. Why point this out to JFM? More negativity that doesn't even relate to the original subject! I'd be interested to see some of his son's writings! Who wants to take bets on how many pages this BS will go on? At least 30 pages is my guess...

want to the first post on page 20........

YEA I did it! smile

Last edited by carbunkletrumpet; 05/21/09 10:42 AM. Reason: had to say YEA!

susie, sorry, I wasn't talking TO you, just in general.... to anyone reading. smile

Oh hell ya, you win carbunkle!!! smile

working for page 21 now....

I'll help.. tee hee

we keep this up and we could beat one of those politic threads that is on US Chat. Who else wants to play along?

I can't play along b/c I have to clean my house - I mean I have to work, I mean I have to take a shower - oh wait, I think I see a chicken! smile

S
S
I don't have time, got to go out hook up with some crack.

I think he should be thrown in jail as a runaway, masquerading as a 20 year old when in fact he's only 10. Damn ungratful kids nowadays anyway.

Simon, I didn't see that option on your order form!! crazy

to address a few points recwently posted:
susie8888, 23 and traveling with money you saved all summer is much different than 20 and "Is there a job for me,I am well rounded"
susie8888, I am not a jealous loser, I am a realist.
susie8888, I do not hide behind a screen name anymore than thousands of others on this and other sites do. Obviously with some of the venom that has been spewed in my direction I might not want everyone to know exactly who I am.
susie8888, Yes I know what 420 means and personally I don't care about people's vices as I have plenty of my own however i do have trouble with people that disply their vices as if they are some sort of badge of honor. And finally susie8888 prohiition was from 1919 to 1933 so I would consider that to be more of a 20's event.

As I made the last post I must have been pretty fired up because as I proof read it I noticed several typos; I apologize.

Originally Posted by SimonB
I don't have time, got to go out hook up with some crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jHMucluGY

Originally Posted by Bing Crosby
susie8888, I do not hide behind a screen name anymore than thousands of others on this and other sites do. Obviously with some of the venom that has been spewed in my direction I might not want everyone to know exactly who I am.

I've had Chris from Advantage Reality threaten to send immigration after me because of my feelings toward telecommuting. However, I'm still very open to letting everyone here know who I am. I hide from no man. Even from mean Realtor types.

Good to hear deadserious - you post your website, so we know you're legit...

"BING" - once again, you show your pettiness and anger...

now wondering what page this thread get's locked down....

How much wood can a woodpeck chuck if a woodpeck could peck chuck?

Please let it be page 21

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.