Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#339445 05/29/09 11:08 AM
V
OP Offline
V
I wonder if anyone can offer some input...for the past year I have been looking for property to buy in Belize with my focus primarily on Caye Caulker. A friend of mine recently spent some time on Ambergris and had a 'proper' tour of the island and suggested I also look there. I do love Caye Caulker but over time I'm not convinced it's the right choice for me. It's a bit small (which can be both good and not so good) and there hasn't been much choice in terms of available properties for sale. But when I look at real estate in Ambergris, I'm lost. I don't know where any of these places are, what's a good deal and what isn't (as opposed to what agents claim to be a good deal). Also, I'm wondering if I can find and/or create in Ambergris the kind of lifestyle and vacation home I envisioned on Caye Caulker. Mainly, I'm the 'wood house, barefoot in a sarong type' (no condos please). I don't want to be in a unit where everything is rented out and hear other people's party noise. I want to hear, see and be surrounded by nature. I'm looking for a sanctuary and privacy, peace and quiet. Is that possible on Ambergris, where would I look in terms of area/neighborhoods, and are there any trusted agents someone can point me to so I can check out the island properly when I return. I'm not looking to re-create a North American lifestyle, quite the opposite, and don't want to be part of a 'development'. I am not looking at living on either island full time right now though I have my own business and could work from anywhere, but I am in Belize a couple of times a year at least and would like a second home there. Any advice would be very helpful and much appreciated.

There are various types of properties for sale on AC - many that sound like your type of digs. Check out the Real Estate link on the front page of ambergriscaye.com there are several reputable real estate companies with listings. Good luck, and hope you find something to suit you!

V
OP Offline
V
Hi iluvbelize, I have done that, but again I just get more overwhelmed and so was hoping to have more 'insider' info. Any particular areas to look at and ones to avoid that are maybe being sold as newly desirable but aren't (!) maybe. Thanks for assuring me I can do the 'laid back' nature thing in Ambergris though, that's good to know. I just keep hearing how built up Ambergris is and all I've seen is the main strip...and I don't want to buy somewhere that will be crammed full of development in five years time. If that makes sense....

Go for a vacation visit - you'll find what you are looking for, but you need to go see for yourself in person. You'll surely have a great time either way.

JZB Offline
I would look at properties far north of San Pedro Town, Far south of San Pedro Town, or on the West coast. Anywhere close to or around town is going to be busy and noisey. I would also suggest, if you can afford it, to buy a very large piece of property. You never know when or what someone will build right next door to you and the larger the piece of land you have, the bigger buffer zone you have.

Just my thoughts...

JZB #339458 05/29/09 11:36 AM
JZB Offline
And, for a reputable realtor.... www.mlsambergriscaye.com

investinbelize.com sold us our property on the south end of the island. They are great and can give you honest advice about the location that best fits what you want.

V
OP Offline
V
Really helpful advice everyone. It took quite a few visits to Caye Caulker to get the lay of the land and making a a few friends who could warn us about the 'swamp land' so I'd like to avoid some of those issues if I'm starting to look all over again somewhere else!

I suggest you look at the MLS Ambergris Caye website - the 6 premier, established, local real estate brokerage firms are listed there. Full disclosure is guaranteed.

www.mlsambergriscaye.com

V
OP Offline
V
Hi, thanks Amanda. I have checked that site and many others. And a few people have pm'd me which is great. I guess, apart from hearing what agents people have used that they are happy with, is whether or not life can be as laid back on Ambergris (realistically). And are there are good, better or bad spots to be looking on the island. I just feel the more research the better before talking to an agent. There's nothing like an 'insider's point of view.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.