Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#33993 01/26/01 12:31 PM
B_b_f_b Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok what's the deal with transportation. I am staying at Banana Beach Hotel and I keep hearing about water taxis, golf cart rentals and bikes galore. Which one of these wonderful ways of commute do I need to get to town or at least somewhere to have a drink. Please advise.

#33994 01/26/01 01:15 PM
When I stayed at Banana Beach about a year ago (it's a fine place) I found having a golf cart was handy, because I needed to get around to a lot of places. But most guests there don't have carts, because they are expensive, around US$60 for 24-hour rental, or as much or more than a rental car would cost on most islands.

You can take a taxi into town ('bout US$5) or if it's a nice day and have time, just walk. The walk along the beach is pleasant, about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 miles. The hotel also rents bikes.

Most people would use a water taxi or the Island Ferry only if going to North Ambergris (US$5+).

There also are several restaurants and bars within a short stroll, so you don't have to go all the way into town.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#33995 01/26/01 01:19 PM
B
B
1] Bikes are usually provided by resort or can be rented cheap.
2] water taxis pick up at certain docks and are fun and useful
3] golf carts are pricey but also fun and useful.

Most people rent a cart for at least one day
land taxis are very reasonable [<$10 Bze], reliable and safe. Also informative as drivers are knowledgable--Many resorts have a regularly scheduled taxi service for free. [lv @ 6P return @ 9:30 P]

#33996 01/26/01 02:13 PM
S
S
There is a place across Front Street from the Spindrift Hotel that rents bikes for the most reasonable price we found on the island. I can't remember the name of the place or the price we paid but it was less than helf the price quoted by the guy on the north end of Front St. Have fun.

http://www.roughwriters.com Smooth communications in all media
#33997 01/26/01 03:35 PM
Becky_bound,

Banana Beach has bikes to use. You can pedal to the center of town in less than ten minutes. However, some of the resorts don't want the bikes out after dark even with locks.

You are about a 15-20 minute walk along the reef side to town. Not stressful at all, and there are MANY places to distract you as head to and from town.

Have a good time.

#33998 01/26/01 08:48 PM
Last time I checked, when I was researching the Fodor's guide this summer, Banana Beach had bikes but did charge for their use. Their sister property did not charge for their bikes.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
#33999 01/26/01 11:34 PM
D
D
We just got back from Banana Beach on Jan 15.
We walked to town 1 to 2 times a day for 10 days! The walk home after lunch would take 2 to 3 hours some days, what with all the stops at beach bars and sitting on piers! The 25 min walk home after supper was the best, under the stars, carring your shoes,walking off a full meal. Every once in a while if we did not feel like walking into town, we would hitch hike! Yes hitch, we ALWAYS got rides on the first golf cart going by. We met some great people that way, locals and gringoes.We even got a ride from John Edwards and his wife, very nice people. The point here is that don't worry about it till your there and take it as it goes. Belize it baby!

#34000 01/27/01 04:56 PM
F
F
Duke222, can you just tell me anything at all about BB? I'm eager for info. Nice pool/beach? How is the food? The rooms? Thanks.

becky_bound_for_Belize, I would advise renting a golf cart if it fits in with your budget. They are so fun! And useful too. Walking is awesome but I have a special place in my heart for golf carts on AC

#34001 01/27/01 07:26 PM
D
D
BB is the place I would stay if I went back to SP. (and someday I will) The pool is too cold to use! As are all the pools on the island. I never ever seen anyone in a pool, accept to quickly cool off. I heard that from people staying at other places as well-way cold mon. It's a beauty though, if you can stand the water temp.
the beach is the best I seen south of the cut and the only place I saw people in the ocean. next door to the north is the sea Breeze pier and it's the best place to swim in the sea.
There is no eatery at BB but check this board for all the great places such as Canables,Elvies,Celi's,El patio, Margaritas, papi's, and many more.
The rooms at BB are #1 you get a kitchen so you can have meals at home if you want. We always ate breakfast on our balcony. There is a beach bar next dooor(south) at Mata Rocks, so you can walk over, buy a drink and go back to BB if you want. Belize it

#34002 01/27/01 09:25 PM
I would say about Banana Beach's rooms that the ones on the sea front on the second and third floors are by far the best. They are just a spit away from the water, with balconies where you can really enjoy the views. The others are as nice inside but the view and location just don't compare. I don't recall now what the price differential is for these units but they are worth the money if they are available. There are only a few of these seafront rooms.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.