Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
By Ann Kuffner:

"Many expats living in Belize hop the border to Chetumal, then take an express bus (US$25) to Cancun, to take advantage of the many discount airlines offering flights from Cancun to the States.

"As a result, yes, there are services that will take you back and forth from the Chetumal bus station into Corozol, in northern Belize.

"There is also now a bus that runs between Belize City and Chetumal.

"IDO is the best-known high-end bus company operating in Belize. Opt for the most expensive bus, for a comfortable, air-conditioned ride with movies and reclining seats. The cheaper buses take longer and can stop many times.

"The bus ride between Chetumal and Cancun is about five hours. The buses run every one to two hours. Some run at night, so you can sleep while you travel.

"One reliable service for trips across the Belize/Mexico border is Belize VIP Transfer Services, http://www.belizetransfers.com/.

"If you happen to start your journey from Ambergris Caye, where I live, you can fly from San Pedro to Corozol and have the service pick you up at the airport there. I have done this many times, and the connections and pick-ups have gone off without a hitch.

"The only issue is that the Mexican cabbies do not like the Belizean transfer services taking their fares. They want to take you to the border themselves, but for a higher price, then drop you off to pick up a Belizean cab on the other side. For this reason, the transfer services from Belize now direct you to take a local Mexican taxi to a nearby restaurant, where
the Belizean service can pick you up discreetly. This saves you a considerable amount on taxi fare. The Belizean services are reasonably priced.

"I usually take the service to Chetumal and then take an express bus to Playa del Carmen to spend a day or two there. Playa is a great little town, a nice place to hang out in for a day or two, with restaurants and shops and lovely beaches. Then I head to Cancun for my flight to the States. It makes
for it a very pleasant trip overall."

SAFE offshore banking for YOU !
M
M
"There is also now a bus that runs between Belize City and Chetumal. IDO is the best-known high-end bus company operating in Belize."

Tell us more about IDO bus line.

The best bus between Belize City & Chetumal, that I know of, is Premier Line.

C
C
I don't know what the IDO bus line is... I think it is a typo, and as far as I knoe, ADO does not operate in Belize.

I think the best buses between Belize City and Chetumal Mexico are the Linea Dorado and Mundo Maya tourist class busses (air conditioned) which run several times a day (first bus leaves at 9:30 a.m.), departing from the Brown Sugar Terminal-for the San Pedro Belize Express water taxi and also leaving from the Marine Terminal at the foot of the swing bridge-for the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. They go directly to the bus terminal in Chetumal with no additional pick ups. For people living in San Pedro, I would take the Thunderbolt water taxi (1 hour 45 min) to Corozal and then take a taxi or van shuttle across to chet, or fly from San Pedro to Corozal in about 20 minutes.

T
T
Houston to Chetumal on Aviacsa used to be a very economical alternative. Since there is no more Aviacas to/from Houston, I did a comparison with Mexicana from Dallas (they have had some very low fares DFW-MEX-DFW this year). Checking a random departure and return date Mexicana's system calculated $844 r/t DFW-CTM (Chetumal) with taxes and fees. This way one could leave DFW @ 7am nonstop to MEX with two hours and twenty five minutes to connect to another nonstop to CTM. That was expensive, but there were few restrictions. You can however purchase the same flights with taxes and fees and some restrictions for $546. I only found one fare for MEX-CTM-MEX and no discount, but Mexicana has various fares from San Antonio, Chicago, Denver and the west coast that might be better, and presumably this would work in the reverse, getting to the states from Belize via Mexico where currently there is a flight CTM-MEX that leaves at 12:55.

T
T
This is also good alternative for travelers with a final destination beyond the USA, and who wish to avoid the hassles associated with security in our airports.

P
P
Originally Posted by Texican
This is also good alternative for travelers with a final destination beyond the USA, and who wish to avoid the hassles associated with security in our airports.

... purely because the US doesn't recognise transit, and treats everyone as an immigrant.

And in many cases you have to get a visa to pass through the USA even when simply in transit. I can't remember but I think the fee is up to around $200 US to apply for a visa.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 268 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.