Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#340764 06/09/09 06:10 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I used this service this morning to go to Belize City. I was very surprised that since the last time I used it two weeks ago they have raised prices by 50%. They justified the increase by saying that fuel had gone up, but I hardly think it's gone up that much! If we accept that fuel constitutes 75% of their costs (a guess) then to justify a 50% increase in prices there would have had to have been a 67% increase in fuel costs (if my arithmetic is correct).

I await similar increases in prices charged by our dive centers and other boat operators grin

The boat (the 7am out of SP) was also grossly overcrowded. I don't know what maximum numbers are for these boats as (contrary to law?) this information is not prominently posted on the boat, but we left the dock with people sitting on each other and up to ten others standing. What happens if/when there's an accident?

T
T
What happens?
Women with babies who cannot swim; those who have no life vests,
they drown. The media will only mention it if it's a slow news day, and things will remain the same.

Why didn't you get off the boat and catch another one Peter????

Most certainly there a laws pertaining to the number of persons being carried on a water vessel. I recommend you make a formal complaint and have the Port Authority and Coast Guard follow up on these concerns of overcrowding.

Making comments here won't ensure enforcement of the rules with the water taxis - all it will do is stir up the worries and concerns of people on this board.

If the water taxis follow the regulations they will have ample life vests for their passengers.

P
OP Offline
P
I was crammed halfway down the boat and the remaining people all got on quickly just before the boat left. Even if I could have got off I would then have missed the appointment I had. But I won't be using them again.

So what is the price on the water taxis now?

P
OP Offline
P
Two weeks ago it cost $30 round trip SP-BzC, now it's $45. These guys told me everyone charges the same, but I went into the Triple J office in Belize City and they offered to sell me a one-way ticket for $15. I don't know what the Caye Caulker Water Taxi charges, but I'll check.

Also, In the past I once stopped off at Caye Caulker on the way back to San Pedro, and they gave me a ticket to get back on the next boat. That was with the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. I found I needed to do the same yesterday, but I was told I had to pay again.

Triple J and Caye Caulker water taxi have just merged.

P
OP Offline
P
That's interesting - hadn't seen that. Maybe Triple J's boats will become more reliable.

C
C
Gas has gone up almost 100% in the last 3 months.

C
C
gas has gone up but then it was almost down 100% before going back up and its still 20% lower than its high point..all this without raising water taxi rate...Triple J has been merged with C.C. Water Taxi 6 months or so,,,San Pedro Water Taxi was about $5 less a leg....Anyone going to International from San Pedro should have been flying Maya Air for the last few months they have been giving a 25% discount,,apt to end soon for summer season...

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.