Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#341605 - 06/18/09 05:01 AM Creative Travel Options
deadserious Offline
I just did some brainstorming for a San Diego based friend who will be joining us for our trip in October. He is trying to travel very economically and unfortunately, today all the ticket prices took a steep jump.

However, I was able to save him a couple hundred bucks by having him fly from Tijuana to Chetumal on Mexicana, cab over to the Corozal and take the Thunderbolt over to San Pedro. This saved him a hundred on the flight and almost a hundred for not flying Tropic or Maya to the island.

He does have to spend two nights in Corozal due to timing of the flights, but he's ok with that.

The funniest part of it is that to save $50 more dollars, he's traveling to Mexico and paying for his ticket in Pesos in person.

Just thought I'd share in case there are any other SoCal adventurers out there looking to save some cash.

#341622 - 06/18/09 05:53 AM Re: Creative Travel Options [Re: deadserious]
Texican Offline
Good info that occasional travelers would have difficulty finding!
This itenerary will require a change in MEX and the flight MEX to CTM will be on MexicanaClick. Mexicana reservations theoretically include OP's or "other providers" but it would seem they tend to sell only Click flights if they fly the route. FYI: Aviacsa flys from TIJ to MEX (via GDL) and CTM, sometimes has lower fares, and you can call them directly (1-800-246-0961 from the USA). Also, MX will tell you that you need two hours to connect in MEX, but that's for international to international or international to domestic. Domestic to domestic flights usually arrive and depart Terminal One and an hour is more than enough time even with checked luggage. The daily Aviacsa departure, CTM-MEX *does* connect to Tijuana flights the same day if you/he want to check availability..
Aviacsa discontinued IAH flights but LAS is still on the route map. It looks like LAS is non-scheduled or seasonal service, do you know what's up with that?

#341625 - 06/18/09 06:21 AM Re: Creative Travel Options [Re: Texican]
deadserious Offline
Never heard of Aviacsa, but will check it out.

#341626 - 06/18/09 06:23 AM Re: Creative Travel Options [Re: deadserious]
deadserious Offline
Aviacsa appears to be about the same cost in USD, but without a discount if paid in Pesos. Don't see LAS as an option in the reservations, but I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

#341717 - 06/19/09 12:13 AM Re: Creative Travel Options [Re: deadserious]
Texican Offline
I believe all Mexican carriers online ask the user to choose the country where they intend to purchase their tickets. The fare difference may not be apparent until you check both US and Mexico purchase options and then calculate the rate of exchange...sometimes it's not worth the bother but I hate to find out too late that it is significant

#341720 - 06/19/09 12:31 AM Re: Creative Travel Options [Re: Texican]
Texican Offline
Erm, that's an 866#
They've been flying to LAS for years but discontinued that service just last week frown
The airline business is tough.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.