Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#341605 06/17/09 11:01 PM
OP Offline
I just did some brainstorming for a San Diego based friend who will be joining us for our trip in October. He is trying to travel very economically and unfortunately, today all the ticket prices took a steep jump.

However, I was able to save him a couple hundred bucks by having him fly from Tijuana to Chetumal on Mexicana, cab over to the Corozal and take the Thunderbolt over to San Pedro. This saved him a hundred on the flight and almost a hundred for not flying Tropic or Maya to the island.

He does have to spend two nights in Corozal due to timing of the flights, but he's ok with that.

The funniest part of it is that to save $50 more dollars, he's traveling to Mexico and paying for his ticket in Pesos in person.

Just thought I'd share in case there are any other SoCal adventurers out there looking to save some cash.

T
T
Good info that occasional travelers would have difficulty finding!
This itenerary will require a change in MEX and the flight MEX to CTM will be on MexicanaClick. Mexicana reservations theoretically include OP's or "other providers" but it would seem they tend to sell only Click flights if they fly the route. FYI: Aviacsa flys from TIJ to MEX (via GDL) and CTM, sometimes has lower fares, and you can call them directly (1-800-246-0961 from the USA). Also, MX will tell you that you need two hours to connect in MEX, but that's for international to international or international to domestic. Domestic to domestic flights usually arrive and depart Terminal One and an hour is more than enough time even with checked luggage. The daily Aviacsa departure, CTM-MEX *does* connect to Tijuana flights the same day if you/he want to check availability..
Aviacsa discontinued IAH flights but LAS is still on the route map. It looks like LAS is non-scheduled or seasonal service, do you know what's up with that?

OP Offline
Never heard of Aviacsa, but will check it out.

OP Offline
Aviacsa appears to be about the same cost in USD, but without a discount if paid in Pesos. Don't see LAS as an option in the reservations, but I'll ask around and see what I can find out.

T
T
I believe all Mexican carriers online ask the user to choose the country where they intend to purchase their tickets. The fare difference may not be apparent until you check both US and Mexico purchase options and then calculate the rate of exchange...sometimes it's not worth the bother but I hate to find out too late that it is significant

T
T
Erm, that's an 866#
They've been flying to LAS for years but discontinued that service just last week frown
The airline business is tough.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.