Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34192 01/31/01 02:54 PM
S
Shell Offline OP
OP Offline
S
This will be our first trip to Ambergris Caye and after having read most of this board, we've decided that it sounds like we should stay in town or very close to it. I say that because it looks like transportation on the island is either limited or expensive. We've been to Cozumel 15+ times and usually rent a Bug, but it sounds like Amergris Caye is more like Isla Mujeres -- small and walkable if you stay in town.

I initially chose Seven Seas because units have a mini-fridge and microwave. We like being able to have cold drinks at hand and warming up leftovers for lunch or a snack. We're not into fancy hotels and eating every meal poolside.

My questions, then:

1. How far from town is Seven Seas? An easy walk to get ice, pop, beer, etc.?

2. I do enjoy an oceanview, but is Seven Seas really worth the $30 or $40 bucks more a night than something very inexpensive in town (i.e., Ruby's)?

Thanks in advance!

Actually Ambergris Caye is somewhere between Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. San Pedro is a much, much smaller town than San Miguel. It's like San Miguel was 40 years ago before all the traffic, the Hard Rock type of places and the large hotel development. But the island itself, while not as large as Coz, is considerably larger than isla Mujeres -- it's 25 miles long, half the size of Barbados, and because there really are no roads except in town and along the southern end of the island, it seems a lot bigger.

Seven Seas is not quite as convenient as hotels in San Pedro Town or those at the edge of town, but it's certainly an easily walkable trip into the main part of town.

Rubie's is great for what it is, a simple budget place, but even the new rooms don't compare in size or amenities with the apartment units at Seven Seas or other similar places.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
P
P
Seven seas is located close enough for a walk but i am glad they cancelled with us we stayed north of the cut and only ran into 1 problem while there

Ice Beer Pop available at stores close to Seven Seas, ie. you do not have to go into the center of town for supplies.

Look under the "beaches" topic for a great composite photo of San Pedro shore. Seven Seas is before the river to the far right. The Center of town is the white church near the big pink building. Rubies is a few doors from the pink building ( Mayan Princess).
It is a bit of a walk to Seven Seas, but I wouldn't say far.
Belize it!

T
T
we stayed at seven seas, bill & bob are great guys. the rooms are like being at home. it is a walk to town but anywhere there is a walk. it is quite there and not much traffic. if you like to dive, gaz cooper's dive shop is 50ft away. gaz's people are teriffic! i had a wonderful experience at seven seas & gaz cooper's dives. i would recommend both places to everyone, especially if you want to save alittle money on hotel & spend more on tours and souvieners.
prices at resturants there have gone up, but cannibals is very reasonable and good. ruby's bakery has great food, but get there early. i never got to eat jonny cakes, cuz we didn't get early enough. big daddy's has great food too and good prices. i can't say enough good things about the people i met and san pedro. it's like no other place in the world. there is magic on ambergris caye!

C
C
Hi Shell! Good to see a familiar name! Good luck with your planning! Let me know what you all decide!

I'd call seven seas pretty much in town myself... just on the north side

short walk to stores also...

Seven Seas is also very near Papi's restaurant, and that is a very good place to eat any time of day.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Hubby and I are staying at Seven Seas in June. I'm glad to read this info. Thanks!

M
M
We stayed at the Seven Seas last September, two weeks before Hurricane Keith.Very basic, oceanfront,Gaz Cooper dive shop out front. We rented a golf cart for the week due to my husband having a hip problem which now requires surgery. The golf cart was the best thing we did, didn't cost that much for a week, the SS gets a discount, and they bring it to you. DO go to Papi's Diner around the corner, and to Celi's Deli in town. The trip to town is further than we would want to walk, especially in the heat, but others at the SS's did it on a regular basis. Just depends on you. Feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] for additional information. You will love the island as much as we did.. it is truly magical! Mary and Scott

Mary and Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.