Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#34444 - 02/06/01 08:13 PM Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Joe Offline
Hi everyone!! I am joe's daughter. I am 13 and my younger brother is 11 yrs old. I was wondering what I can do for fun, as a kid, around Mata Chica. We will be at the Mata Chica from March 16th - 23rd. One of my major concerns is mosquitoes, they love me. I fear that i will be bitten to death and have have a horrible time. Any suggestions? Another one of my concerns is if I will be occupied. I know about snorkeling and wind surfing. Is one of the best things to do si to hang around the beach? Do they have hammocks @ the Mata Chica?
I also happen to have a love for wildlife especially monkeys! How long will it take for us to get to the nearset jungle and the ZOO from the Mata Chica? Also is there monkeys around the beach or on the island?
I am also a fashion plate and I need to know what to wear and what to bring. Do I need any specific clothing or shoes for snorkeling, diving, hiking, the Mambo, and any other activities that come to mind?
Here's another question for ya! I am a total freak about fish when im snorkeling. When I was in Mexico withmy family, i was 6 i cried because i was so afarid of snorkeling! We went to FL last March and I went snorkeling but i was about to cry! I was a horrible experience because they had just had a storm and the visibility was horrible and I was so afraid that i fish would bite me! Can anyone give me some pointers about my fear?! Is there any fish that bite or any fish that look scary enough to bite someone?!
Last thing! Will i be treated very well @ the Mata Chica?! Will there be a lot of people willing to help?! Are the people nice @ the Mata Chica?!
Well thanx 4 your time! Pleaze feel free to give me all of your suggestions!
want to put that my Dad thinks that Bill Thornton is hilarious. Bill, hope ya put something on this! ByE :-) ;-)

#34445 - 02/06/01 09:44 PM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
sscubabob Offline
Hi Lauren,

I'm a little older than you are, infact, I'm alot older..I think I'm going to dry. In all my years of snorkle and swiming I've not been bit and never heard anyone scream or talk about being bit.

Take off the jewelry, and I suggest wearing t-shirt. Bites are usually little fish interested in a mole, a watch maybe a belly button. They are very very very rare and usually only leave you startled and with a little red mark. I know only one person who had a fish bite and is was a horrable 3" long fish (called perch) in a Minnesota lake!

Look under docks. They are very hard to find but you could find a sea horse there.

#34446 - 02/06/01 10:45 PM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline

My daughter, who is almost 12, likes Mata Chica. I imagine you will, too.

I wouldn't worry about mosquitos. As long as the wind is blowing off the water, which is most of the time, there are no or almost no mosquitos, even on North Ambergris Caye where Mata Chica is located.

There are no howler or other wild monkeys on the island, but at the far north of the island there is quite a bit of wildlife, including (I'm told) several of Belize's wild cats. There also are crocodiles.

To get to the zoo, you'll either take a ferry ( 1 1/4 hours) or fly (20 minutes) to Belize City, then go by car (45 minutes.) The Zoo is great.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Lan Sluder/Belize First

#34447 - 02/07/01 11:43 AM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Big Frank Offline
Dear Lauren,

I are a teecher, sew Eye no kidz.
I think you need:
1 cool floppy hat & maybe 1 baseball cap or visor
Water socks or good tevas or such
2 pair of long baggy shorts
Old sneakers for hiking or walking--not hiking shoes as they're too bulky & hot. If you want, leave the sneakers there to make room for all your new stuff!
1 cool underwater small flashlight [$10 @ REI}Fish are attracted to the light when you dangle from dock
Some thing to gave your new friends--Beads, stickers, Powderpuff girl, etc.

Check out the playgroung IN THE WATER South of Mata Chica near the cut, next to the school. You could ride your bike.[3 miles, I think] H Keith blew it away but it may be fixed by now

You are one lucky kid!
P.S.Please post a kid friendly trip report upon return--If you keep a journal, you'll remember better

#34448 - 02/07/01 06:44 PM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Joe Offline
Hi everyone, its Lauren AgAiN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx to all the people who wrote to me! The posts are and will be greatly appreciated~!
I have more questions! I want to know about the food. I think I will like most of the things because i love fish! My brother on the other hand is a little different. He is into fruit. So i want to know where are the best places to eat in both of our taste buds need! ;-)
I also need to know about monkey carvings and souveneirs. Is their any recommendations for shops?! Another monkey question! What tour has the best encounters w/ monkeys?! I really want to feed one or maybe even pet one!
How do the seasons relate to eastern time?! I also need to know about the playgound that is in the water! That sounds like fun! On that subject, how are the soccer fields by the school?! Another thing,do the kids have school during march(Eastern time)?!
Thats all i have for now, thanx for reading!!
P.S Big Frank thanx 4 the idea 4 having a journal! Im going to write in one when im there and i will give a very long post about my trip! ByE!!

#34449 - 02/08/01 10:22 AM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
sandy Offline
Hi Lauren,
you might want to be careful of trying to get too close to the monkeys - they will be wild animals and it's never a good idea to treat a wild animal like a pet.

in this case, if you get too close to them they will do anything they can think of to get you to go away. I don't want to gross you out on this but you'll find your guide(s) will likely want you to stay a few feet away. (of course, if you're seeing the howlers they'll be above you in the trees anyway, most likely)

you're sure to enjoy yourself - everyone is friendly, especially towards kids!

#34450 - 02/08/01 11:36 AM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Big Frank Offline
I went on the Laminai Maya ruins tour and when we got in the boat at New River, We fed bananas to the monkeys. they were conditioned to the feeding and came right up and took from our hands! We went with Tanisa tours/Daniel Nunez. They'll pick you up right at the Mata Chica dock. A 12 hour day, but worth it.
If you bring a soccer ball, I'm sure there will be kids in town to play with.

#34451 - 02/08/01 03:06 PM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
Marty Offline
great souvenirs on the Lamanai trip, along with the monkeys! WE never pet em, but we get real close a lot.... my son can call them down out of the trees....

the best soccer fields are south of town, not the one by the grade school...
the 5 a side field downtown is RAD though!

there is school in March...

for food, just grub out everywhere. I'm sure there is great stuff for you and yer bro.

Elvi's, Rubies, Estels, Jambel Jerk Pit, Mangoes, Los Cocos, Victoria House, Rendezvous, Carusos, Capricorn, Sweet Basils, El Patio, The Reef Restaurant, don't forget Antojitos Santelmo across from the Bamboo shop just south of La Margarita. Quite inexpensive, the taco bell of san pedro for us... The fajitas at La Margarita are to die for, we love Jade Garden, Capricorn, Celi's, Caruso, Sweet Basil, the frozen limeades at Victoria House are fabulous, the fresh OJ across from the north side san pedro market must be bought several gallons at a time to avoid repeat trips. breakfast at Estel's... scratch to doggies heads, splash in the water, chow down. life is good. We eat a lot at Fidos too, good food, great folks. Jerk pit, rubies, the reef, mickeys, man the list goes on... Elvis is something everyone should experience... just like kayaking the back side.... Don't forget the food stands on Barrier Reef Drive. I am drawing a blank on her name but her awning says "COCA COLA" on it and her food is incredible...home cooked and so inexpensive. Best bargain in town. The burritos are made from scratch, yummy and you can get a plate of rice, beans, stewed chicken and rice with cole slaw for $5BZ. All you have to do is stand there and eat it or take it home.

#34452 - 02/10/01 03:24 PM Re: Questions about the Mata Chica and Belize!
holidaybound Offline
just got back from matachica, lauren, and think you will enjoy it. lots of fashion mags laying around and backgammon, etc. when you get sick of the sun. hammocks are on every porch. wind was up when we were there so I didn't get eaten alive by bugs, which was a nice surprise. food at mambo was great. can't beat fresh seafood and fruit! enjoy.

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Alex Woodby, 1 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,636 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,727 Topics
461,281 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.