Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
OP Offline
T
Will be on second trip this year to your pretty island and am seriously thinking about purchasing property/condo for annual and retirement use. Would cherish the opportunity to talk to an expat or two about the "inside scoop" on moving to, living on Ambergris and cost of living, medical care etc....

And off course, I'll buy the Belikin.....

Life Is Good
www.holeinoneking.com
Take some time to look around this board and read as much as you can. I would suggest you start here:

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/category/8/Belize_Life.html

Moose Keep an open mind and something good may fall in.
Bogeymeister, You will find tons of them full of info (i think thats what their full of??) willing to share. Should be no effort at all.
Heads up on advice you get at a bar from an expat. My experiences they really are experts on BS.
A good attorney like Denise Courtenay (Belize City) can give you solid guidance.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the advice. I have read pretty much everything on the Belize forums. There is just nothing like visiting in person and bar advice is always taken with grain of salt. (or salt, tequila, lemon?) We look forward to the visit starting this Friday. Cheers.

Life Is Good
www.holeinoneking.com
T
T
Not sure how Denise Courtenay can provide information as an Expat living in Belize and more particularly Ambergris Caye since she lives in Belize City and was more than likely born there.

I would certainly not ask her questions about health care and cost of living here on the island. That may be a person to speak with if you are looking for someone to help close a deal.

My advice is speak with people that live on the island (and have for a few years) as well as any reputable realtor that has gone through the things you will be going through. They will be able to answer questions that most others cannot.

In the end speaking with the right people can and most likely will save you tens of thousands of dollars by simply avoiding the mistakes that many people make when moving to Ambergris Caye.

If you are dealing with a realtor ask for references from clients they have worked with recently and a few years back.

Overall this is not a difficult task but one you should take seriously.

Good luck on your quest.

Honestly, you will meet so many expats during your visit. Just start up a conversation. That's the best way to find out what you want. People are easy to talk to on the island and expats are everywhere.

Chill at Crazy Canuks or Coconuts for an afternoon... or if up north, visit the Palapa bar around lunch. You will not have any trouble starting a conversation.

T
OP Offline
T
Cazy Canucks and Coconuts it is then.......cheers

Life Is Good
www.holeinoneking.com
P
P
In all honesty. Expats are in the most part very friendly. You will have no problem having conversations with anyone.

The oddity of this is when I go out of the country, I really don't want to be with expats but with the locals.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
That is odd. Why wouldn't you want to talk to expats if you were considering moving to the destination?

Last edited by deadserious; 07/15/09 01:28 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.