Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#345293 - 07/17/09 02:47 PM "Boogie in Belize VI"?
reaper Offline
Of course it has happened. As soon as everyone discovered the boogies in Belize were over, my phone calls and e-mails are off the charts for people wanting to attend a "VI".
The deal maker will be some financial assistance from the GOB/BTB. I have requested $75,000bz (always ask for more than you need). The money would distributed to Belizean business owners, not my company. This would cover fuel, a fuel truck, the barge ride for it, the welcoming dinner, the safety boat and dock fuel, etc. Skydive Perris is raising the cost of the ferry fee for the Shark. Without sponsorship I can't host the event. Pat has flown the plane down for dirt cheap in the past but needs to charge a bit more to cover the hours it logs.
The return on the investment as you all know will be tremendous. If I can keep the cost of the package deal down, that enables the jumpers to spend more $$$'s on dinner, SCUBA, tours, etc. I would be looking at bringing about 130-150 people for 10 days, February 20-March 1, 2010.
I have spoken with Dionne Miranda at BTIA and Minister Heredia. I will be phoning Tracy Trager at BTB next week to have this taken to the BTB board.
There are two main events I compete with. The 500 person world record attempts(yes, 500 skydivers in one formation!)will be next January in Thailand. The organizer for that event gets free aircraft(C-130's) and fuel from the Thai goverment.
The Puerto Rico event each February is sponsored by the government. They pay to ferry three ariplanes down from Chicago. They had 350+ skydivers there this year for four days.
It has grown impossible to host an exotic skydive boogie without assistance. Thanks again to MANY of the generous folks in San Pedro that have helped over the years. I'll keep you posted.

#345315 - 07/17/09 03:58 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: reaper]
Barbara K Offline
Good luck!!! The GOB "should" jump on board especially with the slowdown in tourism but let's see if they do...

#345351 - 07/17/09 06:19 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: Barbara K]
Portofino Offline
Happy to hear that,
I gave your info recently to some guests/skydivers that stayed here. When you need help, don't hesitate to email me.
Portofino Restaurant & Beach Resort
North Ambergris Caye
Facebook: http://facebook.com/PortofinoBelize

#345362 - 07/17/09 07:33 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: Portofino]
weile Offline
Reaper, you have done an exceptional job promoting Belize. I still own a company there, and when/if I return to revive it, it will partly be because of people like you still being around. The GOB should recognize the value of your activity, but unfortunately not much the Government does makes any sense, unless it has changed during the 9 months I've been away + I assume there are little money to contribute once the numbered accounts have been fed.
If the event was taking place during low season, you would surely be able to get almost free rooms just for the bar business, but maybe the weather condtions wouldn't work for you. I don't know anythng about skydiving.
Anyway, when I had my old place, it was a pleasure to have you all visiting, and losing your activity would be a great loss for the island/country.
Hope it'll happen in '10. Not much I can do to help, but if you need assistance with e-mail/facebook/myspace etc. promotion I'm there for you.

#345376 - 07/17/09 10:53 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: weile]
reaper Offline
Jan, an official SPBA phone call to Tracy at BTB would be a good start. Thanks!
Ebbe, slow season doesn't work because all of the jumpers I bring are jumping back home. Winter is best for the Canadians and Northerners looking at their parachutes next the the snow shovels!

#348863 - 08/20/09 11:15 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: reaper]
reaper Offline
It's official. There will be a #6. February 20- March 1, 2010. I will announce it here formally on Monday. I'm still updating my website. I am going to be calling on some of you for some favors. The fence poles currently in the landing area will be gone. If I don't get 75 jumpers by Oct. 15 I will cancel, however we have nearly 48 signed on already. It appears this may be the biggest event to date. I have truly lost my mind...

More to follow.

#348905 - 08/21/09 11:00 AM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: reaper]
Amanda Syme Offline
That is great news Rich. We hope it all works out. Call if you need anything - if we can help we will.

#348923 - 08/21/09 01:29 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: Amanda Syme]
LaraTravelBelize Offline
can we get a whole bunch of Lemon Crush Belize bikini clad jumpers? Might make it even more interesting! laugh
Romantic Travel Belize

#349130 - 08/24/09 04:29 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: LaraTravelBelize]
cracked up Offline
Rich in a bikini?, pretty scary

#352426 - 09/24/09 07:11 PM Re: "Boogie in Belize VI"? [Re: cracked up]
reaper Offline
Me in a bikini IS scary!! hahahaa!

Here is an update on the boogie. It is a for sure GO. I have had a great response and we will be back to the old numbers again, around 100 participants.

I will be phoning some of you for help with a few items. Calls to Minister Heredia would also be helpful. I have asked the BTB for financial assistance. PM me if you have any questions or can help out in any way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,631 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,679 Topics
461,170 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.